Thread: Kockerling Ultima?

doorknob

Kockerling Ultima?

I wish I had access to a Kockerling Ultima seeder. It looks like it would be a really well suited unit type to follow a strip till bar.

I was wondering if they could manage somewhat in wet conditions? I would prefer to not run when it is too wet, but limited rotations often call for getting an early start.

Has anyone run one in wet conditions, or what would you change on it to make it work in the wet?

Thanks.

honest john

Re: Kockerling Ultima?

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    I wish I had access to a Kockerling Ultima seeder. It looks like it would be a really well suited unit type to follow a strip till bar.

I was wondering if they could manage somewhat in wet conditions? I would prefer to not run when it is too wet, but limited rotations often call for getting an early start.

Has anyone run one in wet conditions, or what would you change on it to make it work in the wet?

Thanks.
    Well i had a ride around today. To look at river levels and how much water we have laying.

If the field is not piped or drain is not flowing well there is water sat on top. ( just to explain how wet it is )
    We are drilled up plan A compleated with the Ultima.

Now the land wheel is close to a tine, it can block at that point with a long wet stubble if wheels are lifted up if that is the case you can leave the wheels in float.

When drilling cover crop in wet stubble we had to lift the coverers (between the last tine and sts press )up.

I have 250 hp on 4 meter and at 12 kph it needs it in wet going. Where as in dry going could pull 8 meters on level land.

There is limited movement for unlevel ground ( deep wheelings, plough furrows and the like )
    All round good kit.

doorknob

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    Well i had a ride around today. To look at river levels and how much water we have laying.

If the field is not piped or drain is not flowing well there is water sat on top. ( just to explain how wet it is )
    We are drilled up plan A compleated with the Ultima.

Now the land wheel is close to a tine, it can block at that point with a long wet stubble if wheels are lifted up if that is the case you can leave the wheels in float.

When drilling cover crop in wet stubble we had to lift the coverers (between the last tine and sts press )up.

I have 250 hp on 4 meter and at 12 kph it needs it in wet going. Where as in dry going could pull 8 meters on level land.

There is limited movement for unlevel ground ( deep wheelings, plough furrows and the like )
    All round good kit.
    Thank you Honest John. I noticed the coverers look like a spot for wet soil to stick. I wonder if a single row of springs like the Mzuri or I think Knerneland have would work? I really like the hydraulic dampened tine.

honest john

Thank you Honest John. I noticed the coverers look like a spot for wet soil to stick. I wonder if a single row of springs like the Mzuri or I think Knerneland have would work? I really like the hydraulic dampened tine.
    We don't have any problem with soil sticking on the coverers. Wet trash. Poss a heavy chain like the Sim Tec would work in heavy trash better.
    Long stubble draging up we had a bit of trouble with when wet.
    You will be aware that its been silly wet in the UK this Fall.

martian

We drop the coverers off as soon as it gets wet as trash tends to stick to them. Only used the Ultima on cover crop seeding this year (w/o coverers as it happened...). As you say, would rather not drill in the wet, but needs must. We are looking for a narrower point as the standard Kockerling one is three inches wide, will try a 2 inch one but not sure the seed will get buried enough. How do you get on with yours, Honest J?

doorknob

I was wondering if something like this would help in the wet. ?

honest john

I was wondering if something like this would help in the wet. ?
    I really don't see the need. At speed there is a lot of soil boiling. Points at 7" so some covering from next door points. Harrow on rear as well. I think my pionts are 60mm.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by martian View Post
    We drop the coverers off as soon as it gets wet as trash tends to stick to them. Only used the Ultima on cover crop seeding this year (w/o coverers as it happened...). As you say, would rather not drill in the wet, but needs must. We are looking for a narrower point as the standard Kockerling one is three inches wide, will try a 2 inch one but not sure the seed will get buried enough. How do you get on with yours, Honest J?
    You can lift the coverers up. 60mm point. The seeding boot has too hights we are currently in the low hole.
    Not tried it but chains may work better than the coverers. In heavy trash.