Thread: 50 kw solar cost

how much

50 kw solar cost

Has anyone had a quote in the last month or two for a 50kw solar system preferably ground mounted?
    Just wondering what they are costing now.

big_phil

Re: 50 kw solar cost

Exfarmer

I would be very surprised if you can get a ground mount for 49K
    Have not priced one up though
    But there is far more than just price
    I am a bit wary of the ultra cheap Chinese panels
    And there is huge variance in the inverters

how much

Appreciate you point , perhaps I should have asked what price a reasonable quality system was rather than the cheapest.

So I assume that 55k for well known branded panels and inverters Would about right ?

Exfarmer

There are many if's and buts
    And I honestly do not know how to distinguish between the chineses panels
    And manufacturers in the west are increasingly selling Chinese in their lines
    I certainly would only go for SMA or Fronius inverters

The ground mount fixings are going to add a substantial sum and you will need planning as well

A reasonable system for a roof mount should be in the order of sub 1100 pounds per Kw

honest john

My latest price 54K Roof Mount. But they quoted for the wrong roof.

gunslinger

55k for roof mount, last week, canadian pannels i think, any views on them ?

RGSP

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    55k for roof mount, last week, canadian pannels i think, any views on them ?
    There are good panels from many countries, and a few bad ones from the same countries. Ask to see the reliability data, and if it's good, the seller will be able to offer a reasonably good guarantee. No data: no sale.

There are plenty of perfectly good panels coming out of China at present, but also too many bad ones. It isn't really a country thing though, because I've also seen some German panels which have failed very prematurely, and also some dreadful ones which claimed to be US made. Manufacturing methods and quality control procedures are important, and the latter will also result in good reliability data.

When I last dug around, most of the so-called Canadian panels were only having their final assembly done there, and the processed silicon was being imported from Taiwan. There's nothing at all wrong with that as long as the people doing the assembly in Canada also do the required lifetesting on the completed panels, and I think they do, but you should check that yourself and get guarantees of some sort.

NickF

I have had 5 quotes so far for 50kw system ground mount, Oxfordshire:

etsolar panels with solarmax invertors - 48k
    siliken panels with samil invertors - 57.8k
    yingli panels with SMA invertors - 61.5k
    canadian solar panels with danfoss invertors - 65.5k
    833 Gallium panels with SMA invertors - 67.8k

Huge price differential between them, the 67.8k quote is for the best, most efficient and reliable products but I am undecided if I will get the 20k back from improved performance and reliability.

Part of the problem is sorting out the cowboys from the professionals, but I think I have now done that.

Some companies don't even want to look at the site, others have even taken very close look at my distribution board to accurately cost how much to connect and modify it.

Nick

EcoAdvisor

Would highly recommend the German Inverters SMA and a JA Solar (one of largest manufactures of cells in the world). Based on our experiences and previous installs would estimate this system could be installed turnkey for circ 55k.

Let us know if its of interest..

Bromb

We had a quote for a 50kw roof mounted system, suntech panels and sma inverters for 50k. We only went for 30kw system in the end due to line capacity. That was the Green Electrician, they did a very tidy install and the only thing we had to do was unload the panels off the lorry with our forklift

how much

Thanks everyone for all your info when is the next drop in FIT,s Due ?

wooly

Quote Originally Posted by how much View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your info when is the next drop in FIT,s Due ?

It was due to be dropped in february, but it has been put back to may.

Apparently there wasn't a big enough uptake on 'green' energy in the latter part of last year hence the change.