Thread: egnos for auto section?

ch55

egnos for auto section?

newbie to gps but thinking of putting ez boom or equivilent on our sprayer. Is egnos good enough, no gps used for sowing so tramlines will vary. any suggestion for what system to use? have a ez guide 500 and use a bateman with lh5000 controller.

moldengineer

Re: egnos for auto section?

Have an Amazone trailed sprayer running GPS switch. We use an old ez 150 lightbar which is egnos and have had no problems. Used it for blight spraying and had 100% faith. The only issue would be if there is a long time between spraying headlands and the field as there would be satellite position drift. Ideal world would be RTK then you would save each field enabling you to spray the middle before the headland.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by ch55 View Post
    newbie to gps but thinking of putting ez boom or equivilent on our sprayer. Is egnos good enough, no gps used for sowing so tramlines will vary. any suggestion for what system to use? have a ez guide 500 and use a bateman with lh5000 controller.
    IMO No. To much drift. If set more overlap wider sections may get away with it.
    SFI on 3000 receiver is ok. Or SF2 Or RTK.
    I had Egnos for a short time.

Bumble Bee

Have been using EGNOS for 4 years. As mentioned, if you did the headlands one day and came back the next there would be some drift. But how often does that happen? Does that warrant the extra spend on RTK?

We use a Topcon X20. It is getting its GPS signal from a Trimble 150 light bar. Have been very happy with the system. Most of our work is applying liquid ammonium sulphate, so any misses or overlaps would definitely show!

ch55

Thanks for replies often seen it spreading fert,you could return to the field after lunch or refill and be 1-2 meters out. Thinking of 8 3 meter sections not sure if it would save much money though but then I guess it would be more for driver comforts

jfdi

Agree with John have used loan sprayers running egnos/sf1 and there is a noticeable difference with sf2, well worth the extra IMO

Bumble Bee

The favoured option for sections seems to be having the end nozzle on each side as its own section. When you have a bit of drill overlap it just turns off the end nozzle. This will give you one of the best chemical saving features of auto section control.
    On ours, one end nozzle will be turned off for about 50% of the time.

Spud

I have been considering doin a similar thing, further utilising the Insight from our drilling/ridging tractor. Initially I was considering simply putting an electric on off valve in the pipe to the breakback, hence a 24m boom would be 2,4,6,6,4,2m from one side to the other. Its easier to be accurate closer in, in fact it would be a worthwhile mod i think even without the gps. BB is right though, more savings from switching the end nozzle independantly.

ch55

Maybe it's just me but would egnos struggle with a single end nozzle unless it was set for complete overlap?

Bumble Bee

Our single nozzle work fine on egnos. I like to set the correction satellite to a single satellite, not auto. I might be wrong, but i think that this helps with regards drift , as it is not skipping from one satellite to another.

I have another sprayer coming in the next week or two. This one is fitted with a Topcon X30 this time using a Topcon receiver. This is also going to run on egnos. On the 36 metre boom I am going to have 2 single nozzle sections at each end as the drilling overlap over 36m will often be more than 50cm.

If you are unsure which way to go, just make sure that you get a system that will upgrade to RTK. You can then set out with egnos and upgrade if you are not happy with the results.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Bee View Post
    Our single nozzle work fine on egnos. I like to set the correction satellite to a single satellite, not auto. I might be wrong, but i think that this helps with regards drift , as it is not skipping from one satellite to another.

I have another sprayer coming in the next week or two. This one is fitted with a Topcon X30 this time using a Topcon receiver. This is also going to run on egnos. On the 36 metre boom I am going to have 2 single nozzle sections at each end as the drilling overlap over 36m will often be more than 50cm.

If you are unsure which way to go, just make sure that you get a system that will upgrade to RTK. You can then set out with egnos and upgrade if you are not happy with the results.
    Are you sure its egnos if you are getting a trimble signal.
    I used an egnos and it was no where near good enough. Same on JD if it falls back to egnos.

When you turn into the headland tramline after finishing the field and you are 2,3,4 meters out. And folk are talking of one nozzal sections that's no good unless using RTK.
    Even with a 3000 JD on SF1 it can be a fair bit out if spraying gets held up. Back to yard to fill up / lunch / load lorry or many other reasons.
    Some times SF1 is very good at other times can be very poor.
    RTK is the way to go. Or mobile phone masts.
    I used SFI 3000 spraying this year and on 3 meter sections with over lap on headlands didnt get any misses on burning down spuds, and you can see that like a painting.

Now it colours in on the screen ok but thats not real coverage in the crop.
    IMHO don't go EGNOS.

Bumble Bee

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    Are you sure its egnos if you are getting a trimble signal.
    I am not receiving a Trimble signal. My X20 is receiving its egnos signal through a Trimble light bar. We did this as we already had the light bar and it saved buying a receiver for the X20 (tight yorkshire man)

Tealo

Egnos is fine for spraying we run two on it spraying some very deliciate crops which show every overlap and miss with no problem. Its more to do with which brand of processor you use and how well it can be set up. Trimble, Greenstar and the Genius box from lanquip are all quite good. Wouldn't touch an x20 because there not even designed for a 4ws machine but don't know about a x30 or agleader.

Rob

Tealo,
    Sorry but you are wrong, an X20 is designed for a 4 wheel steer machine, its all down to how its set up etc......

If anyone would like prices and more info, feel free to email me

PM me for my email as i dont like advertising on here too much!

Brisel

Rob, I have SF2 but the X20 on my trailed Sentry takes a feed from the SF3000 receiver. Will that be the SF2 corrected signal?

X20 settings only allow RTK or EGNOS selection for my auto shut off. EGNOS is selected but I have allowed a bit of look ahead time.

Tealo

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Tealo,
    Sorry but you are wrong, an X20 is designed for a 4 wheel steer machine, its all down to how its set up etc......

If anyone would like prices and more info, feel free to email me

PM me for my email as i dont like advertising on here too much!
    Rob you can set them up how you like they don't work. We've had many experts come down and try there best and I've spent 2 years playing trying to sort it and that includes trying to change figures through the windows side of the x20 putting in minus figures and the such. Trust me when I say they don't work. You could take me to any 4ws sprayer running a x20 and I will show you they don't work. They will work fine if you drive the machine as a 2ws machine but the math the x20 works off it can't work however much you play with the steer point, flow and boom measurements. The only way you may be able to get away with it is to mount a receiver just above or infront of the boom but we haven't gone down this route as the x20 does our steering sometimes and it would make things tricky.

Rob

Tealo
    Without knowing your exact situation I couldn't comment further so I'll take your word for it.
    I do have a fair number of machine running on x20 fine.....
    I'm guessing that we(lh agro) have been to your machine?

moldengineer

Quote Originally Posted by ch55 View Post
    Thanks for replies often seen it spreading fert,you could return to the field after lunch or refill and be 1-2 meters out. Thinking of 8 3 meter sections not sure if it would save much money though but then I guess it would be more for driver comforts
    I would say that auto section control is the best option box I have ticked in recent years. We run RTK autosteer on the drill tractor so I know the tramlines are correct. The sprayer is on egnos and am more than happy with the accuracy. The savings have been significant regarding time and chemical.

We also have auto height control and this combined with section control have been money well spent. Its not quite set and forget but its damned close.

Tealo

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Tealo
    Without knowing your exact situation I couldn't comment further so I'll take your word for it.
    I do have a fair number of machine running on x20 fine.....
    I'm guessing that we(lh agro) have been to your machine?
    I think you came out to see the machine before christmas for an antenna problem. We were dealing with another company used by chafer but after around four days of them playing with settings and myself spending a lot of time on it, its the best of a bad job. The problem occures when trying to turn into work or out of work whilst still turning with sections trying to turn on of off. Its hard to explain but what it boils down to is the x20 hasen't got the software/right equations to equate a 4ws machines geometry.

We had the 150 box which works off a different equation so we just put the rear axle to the centre of the machine to equate for the pivot point in four wheel steer but the 150 then couldn't cope with streering which was a shame and so we got a x20 which is a good box unless you want it for section control on a 4ws machine.

Rob your quite welcome to come prove me wrong, I'd love you to it would make my days a lot easier. I'm fairly confident its the best it will be and I'm fairly confident I could show you the same problem on any other machine running a x20.

Your quite

We use an egnos signal for our auto section control on an ag leader integra system works fine obviously all dependant on how accurate you want to be but have felt no need to go any further and get rtk

We use a muller system on a knight sprayer in the lincs wolds where it is quite hilly ,egnos absolutely fine for auto shut off, the only thing we had extra was the hillside sensor .