RB

Re: What do kiwi's think of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    http://www.no-tillfarmer.com/pages/N...In-No-Till.php

I'm interested in your perspective
    The problem is that many of our arable farmers have been able to
    ignore alternatives and continue to cultivate their soils instead of being
    innovative," he says. "If this happened on a world basis and conventional
    cultivation was not replaced by no-tillage within 50 years, there’ll be famine
    and drought in areas of the world."
    they must think he,s a nuthalf the world would be starved to death
    by now

doorknob

I'm not a kiwi, but I just lost all respect for baker.

ianfelts

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    http://www.no-tillfarmer.com/pages/N...In-No-Till.php

I'm interested in your perspective
    World record wheat yield ? nearly 16 t/ha ? held by New Zealand farmer!
    I bet they didnt use a cross slot for that crop!!!

MS

Unfortunately, having an excellent academic grasp on seed establishment, does not guarantee a clear understanding of agricultural economics; Baker's machinery is manufactured in a manner which makes them prohibitively expensive. Once he wakes up to the benefits of releasing patents on his technology to enable large scale cost effective manufacturing, adoption may improve. It's always been a problem with Kiwi's - I mean, fancy designing a bird that can't even fly...

clover

How much does a 3m cross slot cost and how many HP on stiff ,sloping land?

miketm150

Nice drill, nice concept think the price tag might be a fair weight!!!

JD_Kid

not a lot of crop growen now days and with a large mix of crops small seeds etc etc

alot of dairy converts were total reworks to level land etc etc so amount of DD droped a bit will come back ..

also a lot of mixed cropping farms which are maily grass bassed so gear more aimed at grass land than cropping

i don't belive the costings and have seen it my self if the cross slot was the wonder drill it would be ranking higher in all the winter feed crops it's not so the numbers are a bit miss leading

benferg

a cross slot does have some great up sides but the down side means it's not great for me.

farmers need to take better care of their paddocks (less pugging etc)

Tomsewell

I think he's spot on! Problem is he's an innovator who thinks "out of the box!"
    If you add up the savings from fuel, labour and machinery investment in just one year then I think on a reasonably modest acreage you could justify a cross slot. Problem I have is weight, power requirement and wearing parts which is why, for me, I think a JD 750a is a better bet and doesn't require 250hp+ for a 4m.

I think cross slot is better suited to drier land too, not something we have a lot of in UK!
    Definitely worth a visit on my Nuffield travels anyway

4 CROPS

I think he's just trying to sell his own product, haveing said that I've seen cross slot crop failures too (depth control issues) in cereals.

There's still not the perfect drill for all conditions.

doorknob

I have to put forth a lot of effort to keep the marketing hype to the side when I look at the cross slot. It is a very well made opener and the makers of it should be proud. But for me, it is the marketing that it is the perfect opener for all crops in all season, in all areas of the world that completely turns me off of it.

In the article linked, of course the journalist could contribute to this in his/her writing style, but it make Baker out to be a god. Like he is some sort of world icon that all should bow before. NOT !!!!

harold camping thought he had it all figured out too. We see how far that made it.

John Maddock

Forgive my ignorance.. who was Harold Camping & what did he not succeed at?

JV

yellow belly

many patented ideas have not become widespread untill the original patent has run out unless the owner allows it to be licenced

doorknob

Quote Originally Posted by John Maddock View Post
    Forgive my ignorance.. who was Harold Camping & what did he not succeed at?

JV
    wiki on harold camping.

JD_Kid

agree 4CROPS also the HP needed to drag it around and something no ones realy said about is unless the discs can go in the ground it seeds on top

to me i think the baker boot was the better one , the cross slot ummmmm seen good and bad jobs with it and also seen some paddocks ripped to bits just draging it around

benferg

I'm slightly Biased as I have an uncle who drives a cross slot now & again. Think where they are really good is that the opening disc goes below where the seed is placed. My thought on this is if things get wetter then the seed isn't sitting at the bottom of the trench so to speak but slightly up.

Cross slot has all that weight to try & ensure penetration. Every year they drill over 140 hectares on one of the farms I'm linked with. It's a boulder park & they have had good results, they tried a duncan drill & a JD, the CS has been winning hands down.

My brother who is a agronomist was looking at a paddock we drilled with a Gaspardo & recons it's as good as a cross slot job.
    Have seen the slot open up even with the CS closing system.