Thread: Can I fit 75kw solar on a 12x 42 meter roof

agricontract

Can I fit 75kw solar on a 12x 42 meter roof

Can i fit 75kw solar pannel instalation on 12x42 meter roof And if I can what would it cost and return me also does it add up to do it with borrowed money or does it only add up when useing savings
    Thanks in advance

RGSP

Re: Can I fit 75kw solar on a 12x 42 meter roof

75kW from your roof is possible in principle, but a bit marginal when things like dead space due to frames, available frame sizes to fit the roof etc. are taken into account.

If you can make use of most of the electriciy generated it almost certainly is a good investment, if not, returns are also a bit marginal and depend very much on what happens to electricity prices in the future.

Cost at the moment is somewhere around 1000/kW for your size of installation, but a grid connection to take that much power may cost more.

Exfarmer

depending on your usage it may be better to go for 50Kw due to the difference in rates of 11.5 p for 50+ systems and 13.5p for >50
    if you expect to use a lot a lot the lower system would probably be better
    but if you will export all generation you will be getting 11.5p plus 4.5p total of 16p

the amount of power you can get from your roof will depend on the type and manufacturer of the panels some can get nearly 30% more power from a given area but tend to be very expensive and difficult to justify.

it is definitely worth while doing, if your site is good, it must be south facing unless a very low angle with a very high export
    how much can you borrow at 5-6% then it is a no brainer

Courier

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    , returns are also a bit marginal and depend very much on what happens to electricity prices in the future.

Do you think that electricity prices will drop anytime soon

hillsider69

Quote Originally Posted by agricontract View Post
    Can i fit 75kw solar pannel instalation on 12x42 meter roof And if I can what would it cost and return me also does it add up to do it with borrowed money or does it only add up when useing savings
    Thanks in advance

Think from what I'm hearing you would need to get the roof loading certified for insurance co. Know of a few been got that way and find the insurance down the pan due to increased snow and wind loading on the structure.

RGSP

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    No. It's more about how much and how fast they rise. I suppose it's possible that they'll drop relative to general inflation, but unlikely.

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider69 View Post
    Think from what I'm hearing you would need to get the roof loading certified for insurance co. Know of a few been got that way and find the insurance down the pan due to increased snow and wind loading on the structure.
    The installation company should do a survey
    Snow loading should not increase as surface area is the same

agricontract

Yes but snow plus weight of panels
    Any ideas on cost for 50kw

Exfarmer

48k up depends on quality and fitting problems
    Inverters are important should be SMA or Fronius but other makes are probably good too
    Nobody can give any clue about the quality of panels that I have found
    Make sure you have EPC's and other requirements in place

hillsider69

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    The installation company should do a survey
    Snow loading should not increase as surface area is the same

Yes the area stay the same bit it seems that they can be more sticky and snow stays on them longer, esp if its a nice steep plastic coated steel roof, it happened near to us.

Courier

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    If you can make use of most of the electriciy generated it almost certainly is a good investment, if not, returns are also a bit marginal and depend very much on what happens to electricity prices in the future.

Originally Posted by Courier

No. It's more about how much and how fast they rise. I suppose it's possible that they'll drop relative to general inflation, but unlikely.
    I suppose electricity unit prices could drop relative to inflation but you will already have bought your installation, so the only way is up ?