Thread: Direct Drilling spring crops

mx7

Direct Drilling spring crops

In general is direct drilling of spring cereals etc as effective as direct drilling autumn cereals.I realise there is no cut and dried answer to my question ,but I am interested in general opinion,as there is going to be so much spring cropping this year,(providing it does EVENTUALLY dry up)!!!!!

Jim Bullock

Re: Direct Drilling spring crops

mx7
    I am under the impression (according to "offical figures" and some of our more "efficient" BFF members) that over 80% of the planned autumn crops have been planted and look like producing another bumper harvest in 2013..sadly not so in my rather sad part of SW Worcestershire...
    But returning to your question...I think we are in "un-charted" territory so far as DD is concerned in spring 2013, but we will be direct-drilling a number of crops and will adhere to our previous experiences..1) do not drill until the soil temperatures will allow the crops to germinate and grow away... 2) supply the crop with seed-bed fertilisers so it has sufficent nutrients to give it that early boost...essential in 2013 as most of the availble soil nutrients will have been washed away on most of our land.

s.chiles

I think direct drilling has enabled me to have spring cropping as an option,
    before I dd'ed spring crops were too unreliable.

If it stays wet then I only need a day or two of drying weather in March/ April before I start, and the speed at which I can drill will enable me to establish crops in narrow windows of opertunity. A crop planted in warm and wet conditions has a much better chance than a crop planted in the cold and wet.

If it goes to the other extreme and it becomes a drought then by not moving the soil and preserving the moiture I'll still be able to grow a crop, as the moisture moves down the plant roots will follow it.

Anything in the middle of these two would be nice.

I think 2013 may just be the year that proves dd'ing to a wider audience.

Tomsewell

Evening Mr Chiles and all!

Jd 750a drilled crops on 16th Nov emerging nicely now! Having been soaked for the past 6 weeks!

We will drill spring beans early March (ish) with a Horsch CO4 with the bean points into uncultivated wheat stubbles and possibly some failed wheat.

combineguy

Hi

One thing we are currently deciding on, as we have just recently finished our first year of spring DDing. We found it a difficult one as under cultivation the ground dries up faster, but with direct drilling the ground has to naturally warm up, hence we were about a month later finishing this year, and we had to get out our old cultivation gear), but after rain we found that we could get back on to fields to be DD earlier as they dried out faster.

Have no problems with autumn direct drilling as we are already going in to dry warm soil.

One thing we started doing this year was vigour testing our seed lines, and we put any lines with lower vigour into our better paddocks (the germ was about 2% lower, but vigour was about 40% lower). This was to make sure that if the weather turns unfavourable the seed has enough stored energy to carry it through until the ground conditions improve.

First for us this year, claydon hybrid drilled spring oats, (thanks bumble bee), spring barley drilled with disc combi after bomford super flowed ex taty land. Triple k over heavy land wheat stubbles and combi drilled with oats. We'll watch with interest.

We have direct drilled a difficult field with spring barley. I have to say some patches were too much like plasticine but we felt the majority was ready and had to go before more rain arrives. It just does not dry out as quickly as ploughing for us, but ploughing up great slabs in spring is a non starter. Ploughed dry in autumn and frost mold would have been better but never dry enough to do that either and too much time a diesel, danger of smearing at depth etc.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Confident about most of it, but the sticky patches won't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWazzock View Post
    We have direct drilled a difficult field with spring barley. I have to say some patches were too much like plasticine but we felt the majority was ready and had to go before more rain arrives. It just does not dry out as quickly as ploughing for us, but ploughing up great slabs in spring is a non starter. Ploughed dry in autumn and frost mold would have been better but never dry enough to do that either and too much time a diesel, danger of smearing at depth etc.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Confident about most of it, but the sticky patches won't be good.
    What drill did you use?