Thread: The Trials & Tribulations caused by Tourists

The Trials & Tribulations caused by Tourists

This is a private narrow farm drive leading off the road leading to the fields. The new house {with garage underneath} is a holiday home rented out to tourists in summer with concrete parking place in front of the garages.

The Cnut with the BMW is renting this week, and had gone off somewhere. Eventually the farmer found a contact number for the house owner who failed to raise the renter on his mobile phone. So 3 x tractors & spreaders + Loadall were prevented from working this afternoon. A waste of 3 hours working time.

As the land is private the police cant act, nor do the tractor drivers dare forcibly move the car.

The house owner passed the renters address to the farmer who is sending him a bill for the cost of the contractor - that will ruin his holiday

Best suggestion of the day was to "put a light bulb down the BMW drivers underpants to stop him being a dull cnut"
    Last edited by WIZZO; 10-04-13 at 07:14 PM. Reason: more info

Re: The Trials & Tribulations caused by Tourists

BMW driver, says it all.

leaving a rubber "rub-mark" down the side of the BMW was considered

You get an artic round there?

Could of bumped it 5 foot too right with 3 blokes or used the loadall without damaging it.

heaps of room there .. you want to try campervans fully dueled up and 14 foot wide discs hanging off the back with cliff's on one side and a 200 foot drop on the other they just pull over a bit and sit there

All well to say there's heaps of room there, but a rear discharge spreader is a pig of a thing in such situations because the axle is so far back and there's no room to take a wider swing because of the narrow gap between the houses further down. Easy to say pick it up with the Loadall too when it isn't you who'll be getting your collar felt for criminal damage.

In fairness I doubt the car driver realised he was causing an obstruction when a solo tractor would probably have got through easily enough. Chances of getting any money out of him in recompense for the contractor's time: Nil.

I had the same once but I had a grain trailer and the vehicle parked was an old camper van, I took both door handles off without putting any other marks on it. Never heard anything from the plonker that parked on the private lane, the damage was on the passenger side so maybe he didn't notice .

Quote Originally Posted by properjob View Post
    Could of bumped it 5 foot too right with 3 blokes or used the loadall without damaging it.
    i would have picked it up with the forks and put it on the raised flower bed just behind...

To be fair there should be a sign telling people not to park there. If you were a stranger to that part what is the chance that you would have parked there?

Im sure they wouldnt have done it on purpose, looks to me like you could have got past anyway and as said 3 or 4 of you could have shifted it no bother.

We hav this issuenow and again, we just bump the car across out of the way. a bit of care and damage needn't happen. Only had it once that the owner of a car took the hump because we'd touched his car.

Bit big to go down that lane anyhow?

What's the legality of homeowners 'claiming' the roadside verge by placing stones so it does not get wheel marks?
    Though it seems reasonable to try to preserve the grass, the effect is that anyone parking - often to visit or work at the same house - is forced to narrow the lane far more than when they could go half on the grass.
    I considered rolling them in which would be amusing when they tried to move them aside for the mowing.

I have a feeling the 'carriageway' extends to the ditch or other natural boundary, so placing objects on the verge which could damage vehicles is out of order.

I don't suppose for one moment the BMW driver thought that vehicles as large as yours would be using the track.
    He has left enough room for cars to pass.
    You need to ask the owner of the holiday cottage to impress upon renters the need to park out of the way.
    And maybe ask them to put a 'No Parking' sign on the corner?
    I understand your frustration, but don't think the holiday-makers have behaved unreasonably.
    Better luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Balwenlady View Post
    I don't suppose for one moment the BMW driver thought that vehicles as large as yours would be using the track.
    He has left enough room for cars to pass.
    You need to ask the owner of the holiday cottage to impress upon renters the need to park out of the way.
    And maybe ask them to put a 'No Parking' sign on the corner?
    I understand your frustration, but don't think the holiday-makers have behaved unreasonably.
    Better luck next time.
    +1
    it is the house owner at fault
    in mnay towns the bus drivers have to get down worse than that
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
    All well to say there's heaps of room there, but a rear discharge spreader is a pig of a thing in such situations because the axle is so far back and there's no room to take a wider swing because of the narrow gap between the houses further down. Easy to say pick it up with the Loadall too when it isn't you who'll be getting your collar felt for criminal damage.

In fairness I doubt the car driver realised he was causing an obstruction when a solo tractor would probably have got through easily enough. Chances of getting any money out of him in recompense for the contractor's time: Nil.
    i could be wrong but i think the trake hes talking about is the green one behind the bm not the gravel 1 that goes up round the corner

Loads of room there. Parkes needs to get some decet drivers!

Quote Originally Posted by Thick Farmer View Post
    Loads of room there. Parkes needs to get some decet drivers!

Tractor would go round and past the BMW but NOT with one of these behind

Bet the BMW driver is a teacher!
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MickMoor View Post
    Bet the BMW driver is a teacher!

My mate's a PE teacher and he drives one of those One series BMWs........is it a well known teachers car then?

It takes one to know one; I taught in a previous life, but it was way before I started this business 28 years ago. They don't change! Of course, workers don't realise it is the Easter holidays still for some people!
    We once had to do a bit of welding in a school a few years ago. I explained to the children that it was a very bright light that would really hurt their eyes, and they would need to walk the long way round while we were doing this work. I put up screens and barriers, one of us stood 'guard' and the children were all very good. However, one person thought that it would be OK to take the short cut; she was old enough to have known better!
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

Couldn't you have lifted the tail of the spreaders round with the loadall?

Frustrating but unknowingly done by the break my windows driver.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    What's the legality of homeowners 'claiming' the roadside verge by placing stones so it does not get wheel marks?
    Though it seems reasonable to try to preserve the grass, the effect is that anyone parking - often to visit or work at the same house - is forced to narrow the lane far more than when they could go half on the grass.
    I considered rolling them in which would be amusing when they tried to move them aside for the mowing.

I have a feeling the 'carriageway' extends to the ditch or other natural boundary, so placing objects on the verge which could damage vehicles is out of order.
    Had something very similar in my village but this is a very narrow road way with a wall either side of the road, new house owner one side wanted to protect her wall so she actually put brick size stones ( with sharpened edges!!! ) on the actual road against her wall, few days later i came thru with the tractor and muckspreader and couldnt get thru without actually driving against/on the stones so knocked on her door and asked her to move them, No was the reply im legally allowed to put them there... to which i said NO you are not as they are blocking/ causing a danger to users of the road, wouldnt move them so i said fine when i drive over them and they cut a tyre i will be invoicing you for two new tyres,, she said im not paying it so do what you like..... so i did lol, took the stones and threw them thru her kitchen door ( it was open ) got in and drove on... now they are trying to get tractors/lorrys banned from using the road which is the only access to a lot of farms/houses.. you couldnt make it up!!!!

We own the land under the council road here. I have actually got the land under the road registered officially with Land Registry on production of our old deeds. We had arguments with East Riding Council but they backed down, somewhat grudgingly.
    There is a public right of way on the surface of the road plus right of way to a measured distance from the road centre. So therefore if anyone puts any obstruction on that right of way they are breaking the law. Our local council workers until a few years ago had fixed instructions to remove obstacles, they have stopped doing that now, probably because of cuts.
    In theory I believe youcould prosecute this woman for obstruction. They will have a great deal of difficulty stopping any traffic on what is a historical right of way on a highway/

Jack Caley.

We went to all these lengths to stop people parking on the roadside to get access to our beach.

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Im sure they wouldnt have done it on purpose, looks to me like you could have got past anyway and as said 3 or 4 of you could have shifted it no bother.
    Wouldnt the car alarm go off if you try to shift it?

Quote Originally Posted by saltoun View Post
    Wouldnt the car alarm go off if you try to shift it?
    thats nowt man !