Thread: Software Rersearch for your Industry

Question Software Rersearch for your Industry

Hi there

My name is Michael Griffiths.

I am in the software business and do not have a lot of experience in your industry but I am looking for problems to solve that may possibly have a solution in the form of software.

I am looking for feedback from experts within your industry to help me gain an understanding of any common problems, for example time-consuming or repetitive tasks, that may or may not be directly related to your particular industry.

I would also be interested in any existing software that you use. Could it could be improved, simplified, better integration with other software or services that you currently use. etc...

I currently have a Blog, this can be found via my homepage, which features a few pages about who I am and what I'm hoping to achieve, along with some generalised Software Questions.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss any software related issues.

Thank you for your time.

Michael

Re: Software Rersearch for your Industry

If you can make all of the different software and hardware packages from all the different machinery manufacturers talk to each other with no hiccups you will make your fortune! On the old forum (it got hacked and died recently) there were loads of software threads along with associated comments, most of it has been lost for the time being though.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Tablet, field guidance app., that is good, easy, and free.

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping that my post might re-ignite discussions within this forum about any past, or new, issues regarding software.

The more feedback I can get the better chance there is of finding out common problems that can perhaps be addressed, I'm open to all suggestions.

I would also be interested to hear more about the main types of software used and how these currently communicate with each other, if at all, or how you would like them to be better integrated to allow for smoother processes within your industry.

Tablet developments of software would be great. Having to use programs that are still written for mouse clicks rather than massive finger pokes is feeling very dated and isn't mobile. Cattle management etc would be so much easier if the info on my cattle was in the cloud/on an SD card and I could access it from my smart phone/tablet etc rather than having to retreat to the PC every time I needed to retrieve or enter information.

Secondly realistic pricing is a big opportunity if a program does the job well. I was speaking to one software provider of cattle management programs a few months back and they already have a desktop program for a few hundred pounds and then a support package for updates payable every year (seems to be the going rate for many) but their mobile app which would be released soon was going to be another few hundred pounds too. Massive cost for what isn't a necessity but would make the software stand out from the rest of the offerings. I appreciate they are partly trying to recover development costs but it really does limit the number of people that will adopt the option.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

I fully agree that cost is a massive issue. Why should you have to pay again for an application, that you essentially already have in the form of a desktop application, just because it is being converted into a mobile App.

I would personally prefer to see software developed using multi-platform technology, wherever viable, allowing an application to be run regardless of the medium you are using, be it a desktop PC, an iPad, iPhone, Android device or blackberry etc...

This could be perhaps be achieved using HTML, basically what a web page consists of. All devices, through the browser installed on them, can use HTML, giving you consistent, multi-platform enabled apps, and most importantly much more cost effective than creating separate apps for all the different platforms out there.

Obviously there are some limitations, depending on the complexity of the software, but for data recording, reading, storage and manipulation, then I see no reason why a realistic, viable solution couldn't be developed to address whatever requirements need to be met.

More complex functions could be performed by dedicated software on the cloud server, or by software on your PC, where multi-platform support isn't as much of an issue and, like you say, the data could be stored in the cloud or on a memory card.

It all depends on the necessary features required to address any issues, problems, that would truly benefit from this kind of solution.

I would be interested in a app similar to the 'Mobileherd' app, which is only available to UDF milk recording customers, from the demo mode it does seem very usefull

Hi there

If members would like to suggest the kind of features they think would be necessary, for any app's or other software, I would be happy to listen and discuss anything further. Is easy access of information, from anywhere at anytime, a high priority for everyone?

Well, id like something similar to 'mobile herd'

were you could enter the details of all the cows in the herd, such as date calved, days in milk, date dried off, date served, bull/ai, etc.

If it showed the goes with the longest days in milk at the top of the list and as their dried off drop back down to the bottom.

something along those lines i would be interested in,

Hi there

I've had a quick look at the literature regarding Mobile Herd, I'm unable to look at the demo as I don't have an iPhone. From what I can make out mobile herd only caters for iPhone, which is an issue in itself as it would be more beneficial for all concerned to develop an App that would be accessible from any mobile device, desktop or laptop.

This is certainly achievable using HTML5, javaScript and CSS which would enable a web browser style app that could be accessed online or offline.
    I would like to see if there would be any interest in making a service that is cloud based, but with the ability to use and store data offline to be later updated to the cloud at your convenience.

What kind of methods are currently used to store and document this, or any other, kind of information that relates to your everyday business?
    I would be very interested to gain a more detailed understanding of the data you have to account for, that is neccessary for your herding reports, or indeed any other aspects of farming.
    We could then perhaps look at ways of centralising the data for easy access at any time, in a clear and concise format.