Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suckler replacements

Re: Suckler replacements

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    These cows mus be massive, would they be beyond the 550kg mark the OP listed? And something I don't know, does that mean a wider pelvis also?

I have a few AA x SH and they become nearly obese in the summer on grass, I don't pull the calves off the cows, to try and get their weight down before calving again. Nice small cows but wide backends, and very calm, good natured. No hard feed, just haylage because we can make our own, would have to buy in straw.
    I know a man keeping AAxSH cows, moved more towards 3/4SH 1/4AA, he says they're a better cow all round, all are well below 600kg. He keeps to strains of SH with smaller mature weights but wont entertain the idea of calving too many, or cows that wont milk well. He's putting them to extremely growthy Sim bulls, has great demand for his heifers as replacements and bull beefs the males. He often has bulls to liveweights of 700kg at 14 months. (his best was 760kg@ 390 days) His farm starts at 1000ft and rises, and cows calve outside in May, (I think its about then before the snow clears up that way). I've always told him he gets results most lowland farmers with big continental cows would like to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    Blue Friesians are good cows but not hardy enough, they won't last half as long as a Lim Friesians, feet tend to be troublesome as well
    Most beef breeds crossed with a Friesian are good hardy cows, its the holstien crosses that are soft no matter what the other half is. Used to have some LimXHol cows, makes me shiver thinking about their low bags, banana feet, bumpy backs and bad attitudes. Dams are normally the troublesome cows that the Dairy farmer doesn't want a heifer out of so he bangs a budget beef straw in to her. start off as ok looking bulling or calving heifers but just get more and more like their mothers the older they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsheet View Post
    We certainly know of one pedigree Lincolnshire Red herd running a British Blue coz it's one of ours! A smart half brother to N. Easy, he's been covering the cows well and calving has also gone very well and the calves are doing very well.
    Would that be a Lincoln Herd in Cornwall by any chance? They have produced some show animals for Hallsworthy before now. There is also a Lincoln Herd not far from here that dabbled in Blues and Imported a Bull or 2 from Belgium a few years ago. They do make a very good cross.
    DG

Well I've been in touch with Jayne at the Society and now have the sale catalogue although I haven't had time to look through it yet. I've also been given contact details for a few people who may have the type of cattle I am looking for so it will be interesting to see what comes from it. The help from the breed society has been very impressive considering my primary aim is a crossed animal rather than a pure one.

Lincs Red, thanks for the encouragement to keep looking, I'm hoping to be at Newark on Saturday to see the animals first hand. I've just bought 26 Hx heifers as this years replacements so the urgency to find cattle is off for bulling but I'd love to find next years replacements (in our new breed direction) this autumn so I can overwinter them at our place.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Well I've been in touch with Jayne at the Society and now have the sale catalogue although I haven't had time to look through it yet. I've also been given contact details for a few people who may have the type of cattle I am looking for so it will be interesting to see what comes from it. The help from the breed society has been very impressive considering my primary aim is a crossed animal rather than a pure one.

Lincs Red, thanks for the encouragement to keep looking, I'm hoping to be at Newark on Saturday to see the animals first hand. I've just bought 26 Hx heifers as this years replacements so the urgency to find cattle is off for bulling but I'd love to find next years replacements (in our new breed direction) this autumn so I can overwinter them at our place.
    Brilliant News!! I dont think you will be dissapointed. I told you we were a friendly lot!! If you ask the chap at lincsbells about winceby you might get pointed in my dirrection!! as I hope to be there.
    DG

Quote Originally Posted by LINCS RED View Post
    Would that be a Lincoln Herd in Cornwall by any chance? They have produced some show animals for Hallsworthy before now. There is also a Lincoln Herd not far from here that dabbled in Blues and Imported a Bull or 2 from Belgium a few years ago. They do make a very good cross.
    DG

Nope, herd nearer to you, in fact!

Hi

Just a Quick note to say The Catalogue is now on the Breed website for anyone interested. I do not know how to Link it, Sorry.
    Hope Suckler breeders might have a look!

DG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21751933
    That's why you need quiet and reliable temperament.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21751933
    That's why you need quiet and reliable temperament.
    Couldn't agree more but even with that (and you know that temperament is one of the key criteria I champion for the British Blue breed!) even the quietest bulls demand our respect and we owe it to our family and friends never to trust a bull and to always be prepared for that moment when even the quietest just might turn nasty. I am often alone with a yard full of junior bulls to feed but it's designed so that I really have no need to go in with any of them. They all know that they must respect my space but quite a few also know that they can enjoy a good scritch from me too and so far, we've never had an overtly nasty bull and hope we never do - well, it wouldn't ever go as a stock bull as its destination will be the fattening pen but you never, ever really know, do you?!

have seen some cracking Blue x Lincoln commercials - it's certainly a cross that can work really well and carcass grades were very reasonable.

Well, have you seen the Newark weekly report?? The top 25 young Bulls sold, 24 limmys,1 lincoln red Bull making very good money!!
    In the OTMS section Old Bulls, Again Best weight and Best Money for A old Lincoln Red stock Bull. Just shows what they can do!!
    Looking Forward to Saturday! Oh, and by the way I never trust a Bull. Even a Lincoln Red..

Quote Originally Posted by Songsheet View Post
    Couldn't agree more but even with that (and you know that temperament is one of the key criteria I champion for the British Blue breed!) even the quietest bulls demand our respect and we owe it to our family and friends never to trust a bull and to always be prepared for that moment when even the quietest just might turn nasty. I am often alone with a yard full of junior bulls to feed but it's designed so that I really have no need to go in with any of them. They all know that they must respect my space but quite a few also know that they can enjoy a good scritch from me too and so far, we've never had an overtly nasty bull and hope we never do - well, it wouldn't ever go as a stock bull as its destination will be the fattening pen but you never, ever really know, do you?!

have seen some cracking Blue x Lincoln commercials - it's certainly a cross that can work really well and carcass grades were very reasonable.
    How does the BB cross onto simmental cows? I would have thought the simmy would give them growth and frame?

Looking at Saler x Red Poll think it could be a very good cross, to use a blonde on

i would have a look at sim-luings as a lowland suckler. very impressed by the ones i have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post

Did not know if I did right resurrecting this thread!!
    But I have resurrected it for the reason that the results for the bull test are now on the society website. Two things spring to mind from this. How incredibly well a full native Bull(Padworth Park Radar) did. And how one Bull could not be halter trained (Donington Raffles) and that was by one of the most experienced stockmen and the College Farm Manager at Brackenhurst. People who are interested in Lincoln Reds can look them up at several of the Large shows or Malvern at the Beef EXPO.

Thanks for the kind words about the Society FOXBOX. shame the weather intervened that weekend many moons ago.

You are very welcome to look us up at the County show where I will be showing a Home Bred Bull for the First Time!!

Also dissapointed in our Norfolk friend looking at Red Poll!!

Did not know if I did right resurrecting this thread!!
    But I have resurrected it for the reason that the results for the bull test are now on the society website. Two things spring to mind from this. How incredibly well a full native Bull(Padworth Park Radar) did. And how one Bull could not be halter trained (Donington Raffles) and that was by one of the most experienced stockmen and the College Farm Manager at Brackenhurst. People who are interested in Lincoln Reds can look them up at several of the Large shows or Malvern at the Beef EXPO.

Thanks for the kind words about the Society FOXBOX. shame the weather intervened that weekend many moons ago.

You are very welcome to look us up at the County show where I will be showing a Home Bred Bull for the First Time!!

Well I'm glad you are still about, I've not forgotten the Lincs Red by any means but the weather certainly made a mess of my plans for that weekend. Did the sale take much of a battering? I was in Ashborne on the Friday beforehand and just managed to escape back down the motorway to home but I didn't fancy getting back up there the next morning. As it turned out the weather hammered some of our newborn calves so Saturday morning was spent fire fighting the problems that was causing.

I'm hoping to get to Malvern but my success rate at getting off the farm is a bit poor at the moment, we will see though. They are some interesting results presented in the Notts Uni paper
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Didn't buy any Red Poll in the finish, have about 10 now but I'm not all that struck, did however find the strain that I liked in Suffolk small milky calving at 2yo never seen a shed or concentrates, but couldn't make a deal on them, as yet.
    Glad I sat out as prices are more sensible now. Bought a few Galloway heifers and a couple of Ped blue heifers from another member on here, and a couple of odd bits out of the market, so quite a mix and no real direction, also not going to maximise hybrid vigour with those pure females but should get the grades. Will see what comes along over the next couple of months for the rest. Will have a closer look at Lincs Red at the Norfolk show. Visited a man last night with a good sized Stabiliser herd, he was organic and everything was recorded and properly costed, was very impressed and it all made alot of sense. I think they need serious consideration.