Thread: Ragwort

Ragwort

Not really cropping but best place for an answer me thinks.
    Missus has a pony paddock rough long grass when she took it on now it stays grazed right down, and last year was riddled with ragwort, she asked me what to do about it but didn't like my answer which was buy a ragfork, anyway looks like i'm going to have to do it with knapsack in sections as too much to spot spray.
    Whats the best spray to use , when is the best time to spray ragwort and how long to keep horses off sprayed area?
    Thanks for any help.
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

Re: Ragwort

Don't spray, hire a wiper. Correctly used, a wiper will kill only the target weeds and not pasture species. Depending on the herbicide used, spraying (even with a knapsack) could produce bare soil, allowing all the weed seeds waiting for the right conditions to germinate. Result, a different crop of weeds to deal with.

Google "Weedswiper" for the names of the 2 UK manufacturers who make machines which are electronically controlled for optimum efficiency. Dead easy to use and no drips to damage pasture. At least one of them has machines for hire.

Usual disclosure: I have an interest.

JV

Yeah i used a weedwiper alot when farming but she wont pay out for that, plus alot of ragwort is flat so weedwiper wont touch it, thanks

the spray you want is forefront
    keep stock away from sprayed ragwort until it is gone,probably 3-4 weeks or so
    spray it when its growing so any time from now on
    you could also use glyphosate but yo will end up with burnt marks all over your paddock

Keep stock well away until the ragwort is properly dead and near disappeared and brown.

It is a waste of time using any grassland sprays really until it warms up and weeds are actively growing. You need a good amount of foliage there to ensure good efficacy.

As for Foretfront, it makes me cringe to see it used to freely and willy-nilly. If the industry does not control its use and manage it sensibly, they will ban it.

Ragwort:

http://www.dowagro.com/uk/grass_bites/faq/#faq0

Will any Dow AgroSciences product control ragwort in horse paddocks?

No Dow AgroSciences product is recommended for control of ragwort in horse paddocks. The best method of control is to dig them up. 2,4-D can be used as an overall spray.

As above. 2,4D plus MCPA or another phenoxy partner will give good results, if used correctly. Headland Polo is one such mixture, but I cannot remember for the life of me if it is cleared for knapsack use etc, not all grassland herbicides are cleared for spot treatments, be careful, particularly as some of the more well known brands have been re-registered.

Ok thanks for that

Get rid of the horse - problem solved
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Tried failed completely, got told to leave myself so now looking ito that option cos everytime there is anything to do with them that doesn't involve riding i have to do it.
    Mind you i wouldn't ride the things anyway, dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle

Two ways I've worked with some success.
    Get in some sheep early in the the year to graze it right down. Then leave for a hay/silage cut and hand pull and bag up any remaining ragwort,wearing gloves,before cutting.

Dave S

A couple of thoughts - for what they are worth..

1. If the rags are still growing flat, you could try waiting until they are actively growing, (but not shooting up) then dab them with a weed stick (home made if necessary) with a 30% mix of Roundup (the standard concentration for wiping. Alternatively, since you would be applying much more of this mix than a wiper, reduce the concentration. Probably just as fast as spraying with a knapsack, without the attendant risk of bare soil around each plant.

2. Another poster mentioned another herbicide. I'm not aware of all the regs in UK re herbicides, but in Tasmania Lontrel (active ingredient Clopyralid, Dow) is effective against ragwort and has a special registration for use thru wipers. I believe in the UK Dow Shield is a similar formulation. I have no idea of implications of use near horses - care required, presumably.

JV

Thanks for your help

Forefront will be fine on a pony paddock, as long as you don't plan to make hay out of it. Its the long term action of the active ingredient in the manure that causes the problems with Forefront. If the horse is just grazing the ground, and the manure is being returned to the soil (rather than collected and composted) then it would be perfect. Forefront will kill thistles, docks and ragwort.

The non-chemical alternative is a fork, a barrow, and lots of patience.

There is also the issue of what sort of ragwort you have - common ragwort is pretty easy to dig out by the roots, hoary ragwort on the other hand has a creeping root system rather like creeping thistles, and is a right b*gger to dig out - you have to get every single bit of the root, otherwise it comes back again and again. I have discovered that Pastor will kill hoary ragwort, if sprayed in the spring, and the plants are fairly small. If they have a big clump of roots (ie an older plant, as the root ball gets bigger each year) then it just stunts its growth, but doesn't kill it.

Cool, didn't even know there was different types of the stuff, very useful info thanks

We cleared a field of Ragwort by spraying in the winter for two years using either 2.4D or MCPA It is a very good way to clear ragwort because it kills the ragwort in the rosette stage so does not seed .

Quote Originally Posted by Bog Man View Post
    We cleared a field of Ragwort by spraying in the winter for two years using either 2.4D or MCPA It is a very good way to clear ragwort because it kills the ragwort in the rosette stage so does not seed .
    Agreed, strong dose of 2,4D and MCPA in mixture will sting them, however, it needs to be done in May when there is enough leaf to take up the chemical. It is pointless doing it right now, even if you can spot the ragwort plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Agreed, strong dose of 2,4D and MCPA in mixture will sting them, however, it needs to be done in May when there is enough leaf to take up the chemical. It is pointless doing it right now, even if you can spot the ragwort plants.
    Brill thats what i'll do thanks

Thought 2 4 D was banned?

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    OH maybe i won't then

Not Banned over here as it is on PCS List.

http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/ge...asp?prod=02721

Spray it for thistles & docks with Cimarron seems to clear ragwort aswell.

Being a bit lazy, I havent read all the posts. D50 (2-4D) is the weapon of choice for Ragwort. However, if I remember correctly it needs to go on very early in the season (February). It could be too late to spray this year. I think Autumn spraying is also an option.

A lot of these weeds (Ragwort, Docks etc) are resistant to selective sprays once they start to produce a stem. When they have a stem present, fluids generally flow upwards in the plant to the flower. This doesnt make it easy to get the chemical down into the roots. So, they are best sprayed when in the prostrate condition.

Ragwort is still poisonous when it is dead. Even in hay or silage.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skimmer View Post
    Spray it for thistles & docks with Cimarron seems to clear ragwort aswell.
    2,4D, plus MCPA and Cimarron? What sort of rate?

I've usually being recommened 2lt of MCPA and 2lt 2,4D. Cimarron comes in tablet form 2.5ha each.

No it isn't:

http://ec.europa.eu/food/plant/prote...ubs_rep_en.htm

Headland Polo is another chemical for ragwort which I have used with sucess

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I dont think you are correct Youwork4meknow. We had our paddock sprayed by a contractor, he said February was the best time before it got going. Like yourself, I was sceptical especially when all the ragwort trees come up--"what a waste of money" I muttered as I was pulling them up. However, next year, no ragwort. I guess he must have used the 2,4D or MCPA as mentioned above. I am guessing that maybe it goes in through the roots rather than the foliage???