Thread: Sheephouse camera

Sheephouse camera

Just wondering would it be possible to rig up a motorised camera on a rail up high in the sheephouse over the centre passage that would travel 15m and cover both sides of the passage remotely

Re: Sheephouse camera

Aldi do a remote ip camera for 26.

Was thinking more of a sideline camera on a football field, thanks anyway.

I'm sure there was a thread on the old forum where someone (maybe in Ireland) had installed one of these, maybe worth a search to see if it is back? RGT may have a point regarding fixed IP cameras though (even if not Aldi ones) as it may be cheaper and provide a better image quality to go for a multiple of cameras linked back to the PC rather than just a single one.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

The only problem with fixed cameras is there is to many blind spots, whereas if you had a travelling system you could zoom in more closely on what you wanted to see and it would take at least 6 maybe 8 cameras if they were fixed.

Maybe, it would depend a lot on the shed configuration and camera layout I guess. With a central rail you will still get blind spots towards the outsides of the shed, even if it is just sheep standing across your line of sight. We've got a single PTZ camera for our calving shed, it's great and I certainly wouldn't go back to having no cameras at all but we are realising that we need at least one one static camera (for cost reasons) mounted away from the mid point of the shed in order to reduce blind spots.

There is definitely a company out there doing this but I can't think what the terminology is that distinguishes it from common terms such as rail mounted or track mounted, both of which return huge numbers of irrelevant results.

Think mackro mail is out for next wednesday with a 4 camera set up on offer?

Does anyone know why one would opt for a Megapixel camera over a 1080P camera? There is a serious number of IP camera's for each which makes camera picking more troublesome than I previously had.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    Does anyone know why one would opt for a Megapixel camera over a 1080P camera? There is a serious number of IP camera's for each which makes camera picking more troublesome than I previously had.
    A 1080P camera will likely have a different aspect ratio to a megapixel camera (think new flat screen TV vs old 4:3 ration TV's), a google search brings up articles such as this and a better one from Axis.

Any links to decent spec decent price cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Aldi do a remote ip camera for 26.
    have you got one? is there a max distance? I'm a little thick headed on this stuff.... Would be nice to randomly place one and see who is fooling with fences and stuff in summer....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Isn't a rail mounted system going to be much more expensive then multiple cameras? Not to mention the rail being very difficult to construct and constantly being fouled by dust, bird poo etc. Maplin do multiple wireless security camera systems for a few hundred quid, wouldn't that be a better bet?

I would concur, the distance mentioned of 15 metres isn't that great, how about maybe 4 IP cams if you can get internet out there?
    You could do this for 200-300, and have a versatile system which could also be monitored online from a smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I would concur, the distance mentioned of 15 metres isn't that great, how about maybe 4 IP cams if you can get internet out there?
    You could do this for 200-300, and have a versatile system which could also be monitored online from a smart phone.
    I suppose i could get a system like this, it would be similar to the one on the house only my mate the camera fitter doesn't like wearing wellies.

Try http://agricamera.co.uk/ they may not do an off the shelf kit but I am sure they would be able to sort you out. Call and ask for Jake, I believe he is the main man there.