Thread: Kerry Hills

Kerry Hills

The year before last year I bought 6 Kerry hill ewe lambs as a little side project. I put them to the ram and 3 had singles. Looking back, I wouldn't lamb them as ewe lambs again. As 2 tooths they have not been the most fertile - 4 singles and 2 twins ( one of the twins was a tiny slip of a lamb that died shortly after birth) and not overly milky, but i am giving them the benefit of the doubt an putting it down to the lambing as ewe lambs. I can't fault their mothering ability, they are still pretty wild but follow their lambs like pros and are very protective (and extremely talkative to their lambs- I could tell before I even walked in the shed if one had lambed). Their feet are also very good.
    Id like to invest in a few more this year and possibly a ram, anyone know where I might find some good ones in the south? I'm based in dorset. I'd like to try and find some milkier types if possible. I bought these ones from a woman who had them just to look good in the fields around the house, but would like to try to find some more commercially reared ewes if possible.
    Many thanks

Re: Kerry Hills

Hi JemsKi, Kerry's aren't the most prolific at any time being around 155% a hill breed which is also why they don't have huge udders , i did know of some not far from you but that was 6 years ago and can't for the life of me remember their name, so thas no help, but people do that on here so i can Shearing season nearly here so i'll keep you in mind. To me they are very much like the Clun bloody lunatics, i am just lambing ewe lambs now for someone and after having my hands crushed inside quite a few of them just to get one leg up reminded me why i am soooo against lambing ewe lambs . Hope the April lambing going good for you.
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

That would be great, thanks. I don't expect them to be as prolific as the main flock, but expect them to be better than they are on this ground. They are lunatics, but at least they are pretty

I used to be against lambing ewe lambs when I had texel cross ewes, but now love it. I have a texel x black welsh ram (i know i know, not the best commercial ram but he does the job n the ewe lambs) that throws very easy lambing, very lively lambs. 36 out of 40 of mine have lambed so far. I've aided one twin that had a leg back, otherwise they have popped out some biggish lambs ( have cut the feed back again now) and are amazing mothers. They are all rearing them exceptionally well, despite the year, even the twins who are thinner than I'd like. But it does all depend on the system and the sheep. I won't put anything under 43 kg to the ram though.

Nowt wrong with Black Welsh Mountain on ewe lambs quite clever i think, just like putting an Angus bull on heifers it's done for a reason, well done
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

They should be circa 170% on good ground? I've never bred ours as ewe lambs though, don't know how that would affect things. We find some years they all have twins and triplets out of the blue, others mostly singles. Never find them to be short of milk (one of ours I milked for the house, a litre a day, and she reared her own twins too!) and yes, excellent feet and mothering. However, does depend greatly on strain - beware of small garden flocks. I don't know the breeders that far south sadly but yes, ask a lot of questions about how they've been kept etc. We bought some pedigrees from a small flock once and they were an unmitigated disaster! two live lambs out of the lot, most died, the rest were culled. I accidentally got a remaining ewe lamb from that lot tupped last year and sure enough, she's the only one to leave me an orphan this year and looks on her last legs herself! argh!?

i had a small flock a few years ago. Wan reserve champion small flock in the UK once. Lovely to look at but they are wild BARSTEWARTS!!!!!
    In God we trust. ALL others pay CASH!!!!!

I have a flock of them, their nice to look at but very wild and fight a lot when handled. I find the lambs slow to mature so I wouldn't personally put them to the ram as lambs, I have done in the past and the lambs were tiny and it took a long time for the ewe lamb to recover. I sold my Ram last year and replaced with a Lleyn and I'm much happier with the lambs, much better weights and mature much faster.

I don't find them 'wild'. They're alert and active, but not a patch of hebrideans, shetlands etc. Mine see me every day and i move them to fresh gras - while they don't come up for a cuddle, they are happy to crowd around and don't leg it as soon as they see me....they fight like hell when handled though true enough