Thread: Tame lamb to school?

Tame lamb to school?

My daughter was going to take her lamb into school to show the class tomorrow( bit of pr) but the school have cancelled because need to do a risk assessment. But this has got me wondering if I can take a lamb to school anyway as far as tradin standards and movement regs. Can anybody help out there Thanks

Re: Tame lamb to school?

I wouldn't take one. What about all the zoonoses it could be carrying? You could end up in big sh*t !
    Clive Tee

We took a dairy cow and calf to the primary school once...kids loved it. It did a big sh*t !!

Sad world we live in.

Must be more fortunate with my local school, I have the reception class here every year at lambing and for many years we have worked the timing to guarantee one or two giving birth. The school does a RA including making sure no pregnant mums etc, wash hands in house afterwards and so on.

The new head bought his children up a day or so later and said the reception class was still "buzzing" at going home time.

It is pure magic to see their faces when seeing a lamb born or bottle feeding one and at that age a lot of good PR can be done as they will remember it forever....

Go for it...........

The Wife also took a couple of bottle lambs into the old folks home she works in, they loved it too..............
    Last edited by Filthyfarmer; 18-04-13 at 05:50 PM. Reason: add a bit

Bringing a lamb into school will have every kid with a neurotic parent screaming, rightly. children now are completely
    unprepared tor any sort of crossinfection. Say "No", there is no gain in it for you and only risk (would you need a
    movement permit?)

Not sure if same now but lambs under a certain age didn't need permit, when i had sheep, and to be honest i agree with other posts, not worth the grief it can cause these days
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

Risk assessments don't have to be complicated: you just have to have thought about the risks. If we list the possibles:
    1. Picking up nasties by contact (Insist on washing hands)
    2. Picking up nasties via aerosols in breath (most unlikely, from lamb to kids. Other way round, the lamb will probably get over it.)
    3. Biting (If the kids bite the lamb, tell them off good and proper. If the lamb bites the kids, they probably deserved it).
    4. Kicking (as above).
    5. Peeing and crapping on floor (clean up after either kids or lamb).

Animal Health (NOT Trading Standards) will issue a temporary movement license for educational purposes, and in my experience they were entirely sensible and helpful about it.

I have taken tame lambs in quite often - I just take them in on the spur of the moment - they have no chance to get in a fluster, they don't have to touch the lamb - if they do the children are all told and made to wash their hands.In and out of school, children love it. Adults can all get in a fluster after the event - totally irresponsible but I happen to think the children matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Socksitis View Post
    I have taken tame lambs in quite often - I just take them in on the spur of the moment - they have no chance to get in a fluster, they don't have to touch the lamb - if they do the children are all told and made to wash their hands.In and out of school, children love it. Adults can all get in a fluster after the event - totally irresponsible but I happen to think the children matter.
    Good for you!

I used to occasionally get teenagers helping with dogs and ponies and was shocked at the lack of knowledge of common birds, etc. Most knew a rook from a crow by the time they left, also a sparrowhawk from a kestrel!

If the kids do pick up anything from the lamb it will probably be a resistance to mild infections. Kids ought to be dirty, it's natural.

Great Farming PR.
    The children, even country ones rarely, see close up, touch the wool,feel the oil, and see their hooves, and hear their cry, and also see the suck on a bottle of milk, when feeding.
    Sad world if all stopped, and Farming will be even more distanced to the general public.

We used to allways have the local junior school come round at lambing, back in the 70s kids used to get stuck in help lamb a ewe feed lambs the lot, the world is becoming a sue you before you sue me world.
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

I agree that seeing a lamb born or just seeing a baby lamb full stop gets kids buzzing, my eldest daughter, 11, had several of her friends over for a sleepover the other day all from the local town, she pulled a lamb that I'd checked was a straight forward assist, that she's done loads of times before and her friends couldn't believe it, their faces were a picture and they talked about nothing else for ages, their mothers told my wife that they didn't shut up about it after going home!
    It is a sad state of affairs that we have to consider the repercussions of these experiences on us in the form of fins, RA's etc, but thats the world we now live in unfortunately...

I think sometimes we need to know less and throw caution to the wind, take a chance and just do it without thinking about it too much.

Vet advised not to bother as got to do movement notification and 6 day standstill and also the disease risk to kids not used to being near lambs and associated ills. My daughter will be upset but all it takes is a parent to complain to the right people and it could have serious consequences. Big shame really

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdeutzdeere View Post
    Vet advised not to bother as got to do movement notification and 6 day standstill and also the disease risk to kids not used to being near lambs and associated ills. My daughter will be upset but all it takes is a parent to complain to the right people and it could have serious consequences. Big shame really
    It is a crying shame and ridiculous. But you have done the right thing. Personally, I wouldn't go near anyone who wanted a risk assessment to see a lamb!!!
    Clive Tee

Take it in a trailer and let them see it in the play ground?

Better yet, truck them into see the farm?

PS. Slightly off topic, but we had a consultant oncologist here at our livery for some years, and she used to bring her young daughter with her all the time and made sure that the youngster got exposed to everything.
    Clive Tee

My daughters preschool love it when I bring in the odd orphan lamb for the kids to see - no mention of risk assessments etc - they also actively encourage people to bring in other animals, they had someone bring a horse into the playing field once! Kids loved it and the preschool regularly gets top marks at inspection.

Its ither over the top rules and regulations, or laid back and easy going- why can't we do what we want?

We had a school visit us last week. We had requested that they all wear wellies so they could see our lambing barn. The teachers said they couldn't as their risk assessment stated that the kids weren't allowed to play in wellies in case they slipped and hurt themselves. What a farce

I do this sort of thing all the time, once you have the license to move to places without a holding number from your local animal health, you just fill in the movements in your book, it's not hard.

If you really want to do it, then do it, but maybe ask the NFU for advice, just in case.

What risk assesment? Seen parents walking their dogs to school near other children and onto school premises. Have they done risk assesment on that? What about bird sh!t in the playground? A dead mole, vole, mouse in the playground how risk adverse do we want to get?

Can I sue another parent for sending their child to school with a cold/flu/illness that my child then catches and causes me to lose day work?

Back to OP I know with calves you can take them to vets for treatment without putting down as movement.

The head of the school needs all the risk assesment forms done and in before the children go out or anything taken in.

Like a hse chap visiting gas tank to assess steps for driver/hand rails, jam points etc., He JUST jumped up, walked around,JUMPED down ,small 4 ft bank, same as driver would have done.
    I said where is your risk assement then???- I done it in my head he said??? Crazy.

Can you contact RHET for advice? http://www.rhet.org.uk/ This is what they do and they possibly already have a RA for it, I know you are not in Scotland but they might be able to help.

Your RA only needs to cover items such as: You will have the lamb under control at all times i.e. not running wild in the playground; children wash hands before and after; school staff supervise the children. That's about it.

They do seem like a nuisance but I had to do one for a school trip and it brought up some things I hadn't thought of so I'm a bit more tolerant - in my case, a pupil with severe peanut allergy, so had to stipulate that no one brought peanut-ty snacks (e.g. Snickers) on the minibus.

The only thing weird I can think of is if you are letting them bottle feed it, that pupils with milk allergy aren't allowed to do that (school responsibility to identify them to you.)