Thread: metal detecting permission on farm land in northamptonshire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

metal detecting permission on farm land in northamptonshire

hello all , first off im sorry to post on here , but im at my whits end , im trying to acquire some farm land to do some metal detecting on in the northamptonshire area , i have asked where i live and not had any joy , as they are mostly very rude , i understand that us detectorists have a bad name but my friend and i have 35 years experience between us of detecting and we know to be responsible with it , we are both insured in case any thing goes wrong ( to date it never has ) , we dig to a usual depth of 4-5 inches and extract the object , and we always make sure our hole is filled in completely , so really you wouldnt notice where we had been , we have had some fantastic finds over the years and we are both avid historians of the local area and would love the chance to find a farm we could detect on , and also to proove that not all detectorists are a nuisance , if the day ever came where we found something of real value we would of course go 50/50 with the land owner , other finds we would be willing to show at the end of a day and anything the landowner took a shine to we would of course hand it over if he/she wanted it , its mainly for the pleasure of the hobby , bad detectorists have given us all a bad name which is a shame as a vast majority of us are sensible and follow the rules , any rubbish we find along the way would be collected up and disposed of , and equally if any damage to extrerior fences is seen we would inform the landowner asap so measures to correct it could be taken , also we would help out if needed . please could any lovely farm owner help us out please please please !!!!
    secondly i think i may have posted this in the wrong section so please forgive me as im a newbie to the forum.!!

Re: metal detecting permission on farm land in northamptonshire

Hi Steve, we've already got some tame detectorists on our ground so I'm afraid I can't help you but I'm sorry you've only encountered rude farmers as we are not all like that! Good luck finding some ground, you don't mention in your post but are you a member of any local club etc?
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

The Genuine chaps and clubs are great.
    Its the night hawkers, and wasters that just carry on without asking, or ask one farmer in the area and think they farm the wholecounty area?
    Some farmers atatude is Whatever is here is mine?, but without the dectorists, we may never find a glimps into the world, and countryside, history, through as the ages?

Thanks fox box, no we not members of a club , we just had some rotten luck with farmers at the moment , and yes I'm sure they all aren't ghastly !!! It's the nice ones we trying to locate lol, yes RGT night hawkers are a real menace to our hobby , we are travelling to the coast to do our detecting , it's getting a tad expensive now , so trying to find something nearer to home , we was also trying to find land to shoot on , pest removal rats n pigeons etc but again no one was interested , I'm hoping that this forum may save my rapidly fading hair lol, my mrs is going mad at me moaning at travelling to the coast all the time , where are the nice farmers lol !!

I'm too far away, but a tip may be to ensure that you have your details on paper, and turn up smartly dressed, ensure you show you have common sense (not driving on the ground/shutting gates etc etc) perhaps offer a nominal fee up front.... Basically anything to ensure that the Farmer doesn't think your going to a) steal something b) cause him any additional work and c) to make sure there may be some positive reason (Perhaps talk about how you would report anything you see almost an extra pair of eyes on the land.
    Perhaps be willing to accept a very small bit off land to 'prove' this...

Great tips Einstein thank you very much, yes as I said I would be willing to lend a hand to the farmer if I could be of any help to him , I would of course report anything that seemed suspicious or damaged , as for the fee I feel that may be a very good idea , sort of a deposit type of thing , will tell my detecting partner about that , well here's to hoping that something good will turn up anyway , any other tips r suggestions equally welcomed ��

Its a lad and his dad,next time lad can't come so dad fetches mate instead,then its mate & neighbour,neighbours cousins & first lads dad before you know it there's a car full and then they have decided to go in the next field,then others see them and want permission.
    I do appreciate the problem but everytime I have tried to oblige people have taken advantage I won't even let mates on now.
    Last edited by Skimmer; 20-04-13 at 12:36 AM.

I understand skimmer these are exactly the problems we have come across , people do take advantage of people's good nature and sadly we all get treated the same which is a shame as the minority again ruin it for the majority , we would like a chance to prove we arnt all bad but as said already said but getting that chance is extremely difficult because of the bad detectorists .

Oh what about 'Bottle of Wiskey.... LoL'

I dont drink but it might work LoL

Lol , would try anything mate , but we had said at Xmas we would take a crate of beer and chocies round as a thanks .

I have just recently had a chap ring up out of the blue ,offering me cash to let their club on my land (100 acres , thats all!)
    It did help that he was an agric contractor , and talked my language ,and when he visited with his mate , I declined the money and said if the two of them wanted to come and have a go ,(I detect too , but in the main aircraft crash sites ) I might join in ,he suggested this before I did!!
    (I found being a famer allowed me to approach fellow farmers for hunting crash sites , non farmers will be more difficuly , maybe)
    They have not been yet , but I somehow didnt like the idea of a whole load turning up , having paid me a small kings ransom!!

Good luck

I would let em on my land, especially if they pick up all the things that would cause punctures etc.... might even find the odd tractor pin I've lost LoL

Oooooh that sound good , crash site could be fascinating to detect over , I think it's great to help someone who is good enough to allow you on there land I ean it's the least you can do for them.

How does one acquire a tame detectorist? I'm in Scotland and have often thought about giving it a try myself but know full well the detector would sit in the cupboard unused as I really don't have the time! I'm next to what were airfields during WWll and have picked up clay pipes and flint tools, so I do wonder what might be out there. Just need one (detectorist), not a flock or a herd or even a covey!

Arghhhhh dry rot I wish you was nearer lol , I would love to have a chance like that , I'm sure a lucky detectorist will find some fantastic things , great to see a little slice of history in your hand , .

We've had a club detecting for three or four sessions and it has been quite interesting.

Mostly they seem to find old pennies but other odds and ends of no value turn up such as those little metal plates which were attached to wooden items from sheep troughs to threshing machines. They even found a neighbour's toy car lost about 1970.
    With a club you have an accepted code of conduct and clear protocols as to what happens if they do find something of significant value.

It's not hard to see that individuals could run into problems such as being suspected of not disclosing finds, also as above 'me and maybe my friend/relative' can get out of hand.

How about sticking a poster up in your local agricultural store? We generally read the ads there while waiting to be served. You come across as sincere and caring, so stick that on the poster too. I would think about it if you also offered to take the farmer along and show him how it was done. This would have the added advantage of most farmers knowing where they may be something on their land, pinpointing your search for you.

Anyone remember the old forum? No, not that one! uk.business.agriculture I think. There was a resident detectorist on there who became part of the scenery. Can't remember his name now. A very interesting hobby!

That's another great idea about the notice in agriculture store , will look into where my nearest one is , yes it is a fascinating gobby as you never know what you're going to pullout the ground next , from coins to bullets , live and fired lol.

I had read this thread. Especially as I farm in Northamptonshire. But I had nothing to say about the subject. Now however, I do.
    I was approached only yesterday by a very respectable gent seeking permission on behalf of a club to search ground. Not any particular ground. Just any that I would be willing to allow access to.
    Like many folks I was hesitant initially. But as he went on to explain how they work, I was impressed with the way he did so.
    I was offered 100. Or he would happily pay this to a charity of my choice and bring me a reciept as proof. I wasn't bothered about the money, so today R.A.B.I are 100 to the good. Plus I have twenty enthusiasts searching over 60 acres of grass. I also have an agreement signed by them and myself to cover things.
    When I left them an hour ago, they had found a coin from the reign of Edward IV which is 600yrs old. I'm waiting until later for the (very large) urn of Roman gold coins to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    When I left them an hour ago, they had found a coin from the reign of Edward IV which is 600yrs old. I'm waiting until later for the (very large) urn of Roman gold coins to appear.
    They won't find the Roman coins, I found them when I was poking round your fields under the last full moon

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    They won't find the Roman coins, I found them when I was poking round your fields under the last full moon
    I saw somelights in the fields the other night. But I presumed you were Badger baiting so I was happy to let you continue.
    I'll pinch the coins back when you use for a topic at a Farmer Discussion Group night.

I saw somelights in the fields the other night. But I presumed you were Badger baiting so I was happy to let you continue.
    I'll pinch the coins back when you use for a topic at a Farmer Discussion Group night.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    They've found a few apparantly. You either missed them, or they fell out of your pockets FB.
    I will let this bunch come back another time to look at other fields when the crops allow.
    I've given them a map of how to find your place.

They've found a few apparantly. You either missed them, or they fell out of your pockets FB.
    I will let this bunch come back another time to look at other fields when the crops allow.
    I've given them a map of how to find your place.
    Well there were so many that my rucksack split! I trust you showed them round dressed as per your avatar?!

Dave Applesquasher

Did he say he had charged the other 19 people 15 each?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    Did he say he had charged the other 19 people 15 each?
    No. But I know what you mean Squahsher. Their very professional website clearly states that they pay an annual 15/yr membership. But I reckon everyone is happy. Me, the Organisor, the "dectectorists", and (more satisfying for me) R.A.B.I.
    If he's making a few quid for his troubles in finding some land to search on, then good luck to him.
    Those of us working in the fields often fail to realise how lucky we are. Letting others benefit from them even in only a small way helps everyone. Especially farmers with a worthwhile public relations excersize.

Set proceedures with finds officers at Muesem , Coronors Court, and independant Valuation with any large find.
    50-50, landowner, dectorist.