Thread: Rules/laws about much heap

Rules/laws about much heap

Hi,
    Are there any rules about keeping stock off muck heaps? Our muck heap is at the top of be of our fields, and I keep asking my father if we can fence it off as I don't like the sheep playing all over it, but he doesn't want to ( just another gate to open....) He doesn't see a problem with ewes and lambs climbing all over the muck from the lambing shed etc Any advice would be greatly received

Re: Rules/laws about much heap

Just put an electric fence around it - that works for us. Don't think there are any laws about stock on heaps thought.

Clean meat never fattened a pig

have heard of stock getting stuck in one and coming to an untimely end- I would get an electric fence round it.

If your farm assured it is a condition that stock don't have access to a muck heap.

Quote Originally Posted by fergieman View Post
    If your farm assured it is a condition that stock don't have access to a muck heap.
    I did think that was the case, and yes we are. When I said as much to my dad he didn't believe me, but i couldnt remember where i had heard it or if i'd just dreamt it - i knew people on here would know. Thank you! I will put up electric for now, but I don't really like putting young lambs behind an electric fence, and in the long run its easier just to put up a permanent fence. It's a long narrow field, so would be easy just to fence off the top end.

Don't forget muck heaps can't be in same place 2 years running any more.

Quote Originally Posted by fergieman View Post
    We're with CMi Red Tractor and it is a condition with ours. We used to have it in a permanent pasture field and lambs would love playing on it but got told off for a couple of years by inspector before finally fencing it off. Personally I wouldn't bother if it weren't for the above reason or the fact that we actually decided to fence it off as we changed the layout of the adjoining yard.

Quote Originally Posted by JemsKi View Post
    I did think that was the case, and yes we are. When I said as much to my dad he didn't believe me, but i couldnt remember where i had heard it or if i'd just dreamt it - i knew people on here would know. Thank you! I will put up electric for now, but I don't really like putting young lambs behind an electric fence, and in the long run its easier just to put up a permanent fence. It's a long narrow field, so would be easy just to fence off the top end.
    Great way to train lambs to an electric fence, as theres no pressure for them to push through the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    What if you ain't spread your muck heap for 3 years , is there a law that says you have to spread it or do I have to load my muck heap up and move it to the next field

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    What if you ain't spread your muck heap for 3 years , is there a law that says you have to spread it or do I have to load my muck heap up and move it to the next field
    Not spreading a muck heap for 3 years is bad management. Why not get the use of the nutrients in the muck heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    Is that everywhere or just NVZ's in which case it can't return to the same place for 3 years IIRC.

We don't always have enough muck from our sheep (sometimes only housed at lambing) to warrant spreading every year. We simply move the muck heap a few yards to a fresh location. This stirs it up allowing it to rot quicker. Ours "muck" is mostly straw so takes a long time to rot. As far as I know what we do is within the rules. We actually got our 2 year old heap spread today and it looked really good - well rotted and really dark. I think that all the rain has helped. Last time last year it had hardly changed from straw as last year was so dry (remember?).