Thread: Urgent help with ewe

Urgent help with ewe

Gimmer had large lamb on Friday I was away so wife called vet she had a bad lambing she was very tender yesterday she stared lyinging down and pushing as if she was contracting had a look at her tonight she is pushing her inners out I called the vet he said give her a jag and she how's he does a bit of advice would be great

Re: Urgent help with ewe

Ideally she needs an epidural but otherwise some form of a painkiller. In an emergency people have tried aspirin tablets. Antibiotics would be secondary in importance.
    History is a race between education and catastrophe.H. G. Wells.

I've used paracetamol - human adult dose for a ewe.

Has she actually prolapsed and have you put it back in? It needs to be held in with either stitches or ideally a harness.

She not prolapsed it is her birthing channel according to the vet I have pushed it back in and she is now on her feet feeding her lamb I have given her 5ml of betanox

Quote Originally Posted by Agri392 View Post
    She not prolapsed it is her birthing channel according to the vet I have pushed it back in and she is now on her feet feeding her lamb I have given her 5ml of betanox
    Glad she's feeling better. Forgot last night but vet also told me that bathing/hosing with cold water can help - after all it is severe bruising pain.

If the internal organs, intestines have come out, usually they will not stop pushing and their numbers up?

If the lamb bed has come out after lambing, this usually has buttons on, when this is put back in you then have to gently push with your fist all they way to turn it right way round again.
    Just like a sock that is inside out if you push from the toe end you need to push all the way in to put it back right if you haven't done this it will be pushed back out easily, but would guess if vet did it he would have done this
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

My experience of vets and lambing has always resulted in a dead ewe, difficult lambing normally means she's been split inside. Stitch her up, big dose of antibiotics (vet probably gave her some after lambing anyway) and keep your fingers crossed. If she lives I'd cull her anyway.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer