Thread: Sheep advice

Sheep advice

I am an arable man at heart ,but a couple of years ago the kids got pet lambs now we have 20 x ewes it is just a hobby I really enjoy the working with the sheep we have about 10 acres of grass I am now looking to get more into the sheep breeding but still have small numbers up to 25 I would love to start showing them should I go down the pedigree route and if so what breeds

Re: Sheep advice

Show season is starting soon so it might be fun to go to a few with the kids and see what they like? Breed probably doesn't matter, there is stiff competition in all quarters I think! So get what you like looking at.

Where are you!?

Think about why you like the sheep you have. It could be the type/breed. One breed can be fun whilst another could make you hate them. Are you handling them by hand? You might want a smaller breed in that case. Or maybe one with horns you can grab hold of. What are you going to do with the lambs.

It may be that certain breeds are shown more in your area and are more available/prominent? Round by us it would be Shropshire's because we're near Shrewsbury, etc etc.

Whatever you do, do not believe the pedigree society's literature. Apparently every breed is the best there is and most right-ups you find will be copied and pasted from society literature!
    Clive Tee

What about eating some lamb from different breeds, then choosing a flock of the tastiest?
    Definitely the most enjoyable way to choose sheep!

I recon the southdown is a good sheep for youngsters to start , quiet , good carcase and trade for good ram lambs and , females sell well ,the breed always has a good chance in the show ring due to to its shape ,and far less jiggery pokery by the breeders selling them than more commercial breeds, just make sure everything is structurally correct , this is most important when you start as you can spend years breeding out initial faults , then you can then move on to another breed of whatever takes your fancy if you want .Have seen many youngsters start with them and do well in my time judging .