Thread: Poorly ewe

Poorly ewe

One of my Southdown shearling ewes had twins 3 weeks ago, last week the ewe started dropping weight so i slowly upped her nuts, eating fine and eating plenty of hay(were still in then) Friday night she was picky about her hay and looking a little off. Gave her a twin lamb drench just for the energy content. Turned them all out saturday morning she still wasn't right but soon tucked into the grass. brought her and another in over night due to her being weak and having a large family of foxes causing mayhem with neighbours chucks, didnt want to risk her outside. Still not interested in hay but happy with nuts.
    Sunday ewe goes out but only picking at grass, sunday night comes in and wont eat nuts, gave twin lamb drench again.
    Had the vet out monday morning and diagnosed as ketosis, now on Ceto-phyton twice a day. She still is refusing to eat! Stands in field with head on floor or lies down. She has literally let her twins suck the life out of her!
    Tried different veg, mashed up veg into puree and drenched her with it.
    Tried ivy and she spits it out even when pushed to back teeth(they're sharp)
    This ewe 10days ago would eat anything out of your hand so shes not the fussy type.
    Penned the twins separate to reduce the burden on her and given her a good dose of pen and strep.
    This morning have given her a digestive biscuit drench(idea from another forum) and wormed her with Fasimec Duo.
    Only thing she is doing which is strange is snorkeling in her water bucket before drinking, can't say i've noticed it before she went ill but she could have done.
    This is soaking her wool under her jaw so hard to say whether she is drooling indicating a tooth problem however theres no lumps bumps or tenderness when prodded.
    Would it be worth getting some metacam to see if i can eliminate pain(if there is any) or vit/min jab.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Lou

Re: Poorly ewe

Sounds like you done every thing but i don't see calcium borogluconate mentioned , for a ewe to produce milk she uses her own bodies calcium, take the lambs off and bottle feed .

Yes I agree she probably needs injected under the skin, it sounds like she is slowly fading/ IMO the drench will only correct it if you catch it very early. It is very good insurance that she has all the mins in her - calcium, magnesium and also the glucose.

50ml cb as said above, best done on two sites over the ribs. Otherwise I would say she is gone. You cannot make them want to eat, you are just prolonging her suffering by force-feeding her. Best to get the mins in directly and let her pick herself up.

Thanks, i was under the impression that you can kill them if you give them calcium when they don't need it?

Don't think so unless over-dosed, I have heard that some farmers routinely jag all susceptable ewes as a preventative. I think if you gave it in the jugular maybe, but under the skin is slow release I believe.

Greysides can possibly comment.

take her temp she may have infection . has she been wormed .

A normal dose of calcium to a ewe that doesn't need it won't harm her. Continuing to repeat the dose will eventually clog up the kidneys.

Has she been fluked?
    History is a race between education and catastrophe.H. G. Wells.

as i said have taken her temp yet

Her Temperature is normal, got her on pen and strep anyway just to cover her. Have wormed for fluke.
    Will give the calcium a try.

Thanks

I would also keep putting the TLD drench in twice/day for a few more days. I use a 10ml syringe, takes a while but a least you know it is going down without drowning them.