Thread: Best milk for rearing lambs?

Best milk for rearing lambs?

We are starting pet lambs on a shepherdess and when big enough using a bucket with teats. Which make of powered milk do you find gives the best results?

Thanks.

Re: Best milk for rearing lambs?

I'm using Shine this year and have been very pleased with it. It does settle a bit over time in the shepherdess but the lambs have done really well.

using lamnac as allways. make them eat plenty of hay, pellets and water before you wean them.

Quote Originally Posted by upinsmoke View Post
    using lamnac as allways. make them eat plenty of hay, pellets and water before you wean them.
    I am using LamLac again too, but the Wynstay branded one (same spec as Volac but 5 a bag cheaper). On the bag it said to avoid giving hay, as it would restrict conc intake. A new one on me, I always considered getting fibre in was quite important.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    I am using LamLac again too, but the Wynstay branded one (same spec as Volac but 5 a bag cheaper). On the bag it said to avoid giving hay, as it would restrict conc intake. A new one on me, I always considered getting fibre in was quite important.
    Its critical , protien from pellets then red gut will surely follow in an undeveloped rumen , though i always use rolled oats for the first few weeks rather than hay , a slightly poorer lamb is better than a dead fat one

Is nice clean barley straw not the answer?

i always give creep feed and hay and as soon as they are eating enought stop the milk .using beet pelets this year for the bottle lambs and the seem to love it even using it in creep feeder