Thread: connection cost to grid

connection cost to grid

I am looking at building a 200 x 100 shed for pigs with a 100kw PV system on top . We have a 3 wire overhead line running through our land which will be approx. 500 metres from the shed.I have looked into the cost of connecting up and UU are saying that a new transformer will be required, however they will only give ballpark figures until outlying permission is granted. 60k to connect has been mentioned which seems off the clock. Has anyone got any tips for approaching this job? Would there be any point in asking a landagent to look at it? Has anyone asked the NFU to look at a similar high quote and done anything with it?All comments welcome.

Re: connection cost to grid

Get the DNO ( District Network Operator) to quote you for the non contestable element of the connection. Then you can get your own contractor (as long as they are Lloyds Registered to do the contestable work on the HV Network) that will probably save you 20 to 30 K. You will find a list of contractors to quote you for the job on the Lloyds website.

I didn't know that thanks.

Connections to the grid seem to be of the pick a number type from what we have seen. We were quoted over 100k for a 150kw system, needless to say we didn't go ahead with it. I'm sure on here somewhere it has been mentioned that if your paid for connection is later used to supply elsewhere you can claim a proportion of the original cost back which would be useful to remember too.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

For a 100 kw system they would want a 150kw transformer which will set you back
    i don't suppose your shed will need anything like this sort of power, so it would probably pay to trim the PV system to the power demand of the shed
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Anyone know how far you can go from an existing transformer? 300m OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Anyone know how far you can go from an existing transformer? 300m OK?
    My guess would be no but it will probably be dependant upon what size of cable you already have vs how much you are trying to push back up it to the transformer. From what we were told by the DNO what you are able to draw down the cable isn't what you can push back up it over larger distances. As mentioned though speak to the DNO, it's their job to make sure you have the information you need.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

My DNO (Western Power) were very helpful gave a quote of 8K for a 3 phase upgrade over 400m with new transformer - I thought this was expensive but it was very reasonable from other comments I had! Think prices have gone silly in the last year or so but you can still negotiate. We cut in half another quote for connection (different site) just by pestering + could have halved it again by using own contractor for the contestable work.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    For a 100 kw system they would want a 150kw transformer which will set you back
    i don't suppose your shed will need anything like this sort of power, so it would probably pay to trim the PV system to the power demand of the shed
    You are right,we will hardly use any power at the shed,only a bore-hole,feed auger system and a little bit of light.I want the shed to develop an income stream from it and also to get PP for a house into the future.there is a chance we might milk there also.

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    My DNO (Western Power) were very helpful gave a quote of 8K for a 3 phase upgrade over 400m with new transformer - I thought this was expensive but it was very reasonable from other comments I had! Think prices have gone silly in the last year or so but you can still negotiate. We cut in half another quote for connection (different site) just by pestering + could have halved it again by using own contractor for the contestable work.
    Do you mind me asking when that was?I had someone look at my site with regards to a turbine and she reckoned on 6-20k to connect.Someone is wrong.

Years ago it cost me to up grade our small transformer with western power to a 50kva one around 5k?
    That was reasonable I thought then.
    They supplied all cables, ducting etc, and I dug trench and 60 mtrs from pole to shed and installed ready for them to re, connect.
    I guess a 150kva trasform will be expensive, as new H poles etc needed most probally.
    Lot more heavy duty again.
    The DNO, planners will give you the price, and what ever they say thats it?
    Without their permission, works etc.you cannot do anything.
    They got to balance the supply and networks also to cope with the new applications.

Met with a chap from western power on Tuesday about a 3 phase connection to a shed I'm looking to build, nearest transformer is less than 100 meters from my shed I'm doing the digging from pole to road (10m) and road to shed (50m). Just depends on what size supply I need exsisting transformer will supply 25kva is that enough to run a 350a welder, 5.5hp compressor some lights and grinders and a 3 phase roller door ?

wastedyears- yes it was 2011, just before they got snowed under with requests - I think that's why the prices went up!.
    The job actually took only 2 hours to do, 4 Land Rovers turned up with 2 chaps in each. They stood around for 20 minutes drinking tea (most expensive cup of tea I've ever seen) apparently waiting for the line to go off, then reeled out 400m of copper lifted it to the poles and changed the nearly new transformer for a bigger one - money for old rope!

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    wastedyears- yes it was 2011, just before they got snowed under with requests - I think that's why the prices went up!.
    The job actually took only 2 hours to do, 4 Land Rovers turned up with 2 chaps in each. They stood around for 20 minutes drinking tea (most expensive cup of tea I've ever seen) apparently waiting for the line to go off, then reeled out 400m of copper lifted it to the poles and changed the nearly new transformer for a bigger one - money for old rope!
    It is but what else can we do if we need an upgrade?