Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High speed Massey tractor

High speed Massey tractor

Been looking at cutting costs, and the conclusion is, I only keep the Land Rover to pull the livestock trailer (14' Ifor) and it's therefore an expensive luxury. So the idea is to get rid of Land Rover and a Zetor 6245 and replace with a (cheapish to buy and run) tractor for yard duties and transport, but would like road speed around 30-35 mph-ish to keep travel times down and aid fuel use

The currents options are MF 550 and change gearbox to the 12 speed syncho or change diff. ratio (as from a 565 etc. with have the reduction axles) which I think will give approx. 33mph though I'm concerned about lack of power, poor brakes and too higher first gear, the other option is get a MF362 2wd with 12/12 40k gearbox and change diff. but I can't find out what diff ratio was fitted to this tractor and if there's any other which will fit and increase speed.

I'm not stuck to Masseys and if it's possible to do something similar to others makes I'd like to know. The idea is a cheapish lightweight economical high speed tractor that'll take a loader when needed, starts first turn every time for winter feeding and will do a bit of livestock farm field work when needed.

Firstly, is any of this "do-able"? Secondly, general thoughts and ideas.....

Re: High speed Massey tractor

Not really much help

But a small tractor doing that speed is it wise?

An 18speed MF390T would do 30mph no bother.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderz View Post
    An 18speed MF390T would do 30mph no bother.

what a terrifying thought that is

Quote Originally Posted by mallarchy View Post
    Been looking at cutting costs, and the conclusion is, I only keep the Land Rover to pull the livestock trailer (14' Ifor) and it's therefore an expensive luxury. So the idea is to get rid of Land Rover and a Zetor 6245 and replace with a (cheapish to buy and run) tractor for yard duties and transport, but would like road speed around 30-35 mph-ish to keep travel times down and aid fuel use

The currents options are MF 550 and change gearbox to the 12 speed syncho or change diff. ratio (as from a 565 etc. with have the reduction axles) which I think will give approx. 33mph though I'm concerned about lack of power, poor brakes and too higher first gear, the other option is get a MF362 2wd with 12/12 40k gearbox and change diff. but I can't find out what diff ratio was fitted to this tractor and if there's any other which will fit and increase speed.

I'm not stuck to Masseys and if it's possible to do something similar to others makes I'd like to know. The idea is a cheapish lightweight economical high speed tractor that'll take a loader when needed, starts first turn every time for winter feeding and will do a bit of livestock farm field work when needed.

A lightweight tractor at high speed with a loader?
    Use a haulier,cheaper than doing yourself unless you haul a lot of stuff and that's from someone that does everything myself.(except hauling stock)

No, it's not doable and a totally daft idea. Seen any other high speed 2wd ancient MF 550 tractors with rubbish drum brakes or 362 2wd with loaders converted to high speed and pulling 14ft Ifor Williams about? No? Thought not. There's good reason.

The speed limit for a tractor is 18mph, which is fast enough for a 2wd but obviously a bit OTT for 4wd with 4 wheel braking and trailer brakes, none of which a 550 has got and struggles to stop itself let alone an Ifor Williams weighing 3.5 tons from high speed.

If you are that concerned with cutting cost, give it up. Or come down to planet Earth.

Perhaps consider changing your car and Land Rover for an older Discovery.
    The Duck 2015

What about a Trantor , they are not thick on the ground used but come up from time to time and I would have thought ideal for this aplication , im sure I have seen one with a loader once over as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post

No, it's not doable and a totally daft idea. Seen any other high speed 2wd ancient MF 550 tractors with rubbish drum brakes or 362 2wd with loaders converted to high speed and pulling 14ft Ifor Williams about? No? Thought not. There's good reason.

The speed limit for a tractor is 18mph, which is fast enough for a 2wd but obviously a bit OTT for 4wd with 4 wheel braking and trailer brakes, none of which a 550 has got and struggles to stop itself let alone an Ifor Williams weighing 3.5 tons from high speed.

If you are that concerned with cutting cost, give it up. Or come down to planet Earth.

seconded

Being concerned about cutting costs shouldn't be reason to give up, just what everyone should be doing all the time...!!!

Obviously, wouldn't use with the loader on! And of course you need to drive sensibly. The MF550 is maybe a bit light but a 362 has to be better than a SWB land rover.

You want something lot newer than 550?
    Something like a 4255 , 12, 12 box, 40k easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    What about a Trantor , they are not thick on the ground used but come up from time to time and I would have thought ideal for this aplication , im sure I have seen one with a loader once over as well.
    Have thought about, not sure how good as a tractor though, and never seen one for sale

What's the budget then?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    What's the budget then?
    Say 10 - 13000 max

It's ok makeing a tractor fast I know I'd do it just cus I like playing with things ect but it would be against the law to go that fast on the road wether you drive safely on not would not get you out of jail when you have had a bad accident that probly was not your falt or due to the speed you where going.

Quote Originally Posted by rc mx110 View Post

what a terrifying thought that is
    15 years ago or so there was an old boy small time contractor around us that had a MF65 with MF35 back axle, that'd do over 30 mph, now that does sound terrifying but he never had any problems. The key is to only use speed on good open road conditions, just the same as towing with a Land Rover. The driver is everything in such situations, not a job for an employee anyway, from a H & S point of view.

Being concerned about cutting costs shouldn't be reason to give up, just what everyone should be doing all the time...!!!

Obviously, wouldn't use with the loader on! And of course you need to drive sensibly. The MF550 is maybe a bit light but a 362 has to be better than a SWB land rover.
    Not usually.

You can cut costs down too far to be sensible sometimes. If you need to go thus far I would humbly point out that it is income that needs raising not further cost cuts. There comes a point where you should think "what the heck am I doing?"

And just how is spending 13,000 going to cut your costs anyway? Your Land Rover surely won't cost you that much to keep for many years?
    The Duck 2015

Some of the Zetor Crystals were very fast, something like a 8145 or 10145? Would have a good big cab so could take as many passengers as the land rover!!

There is bound to be some standard 50k tractors around within budget? surely you could get an older fastrac?

course it's doable.maybe buy a parachute and a helmet for yourself as well.

Not usually.

You can cut costs down too far to be sensible sometimes. If you need to go thus far I would humbly point out that it is income that needs raising not further cost cuts. There comes a point where you should think "what the heck am I doing?"

And just how is spending 13,000 going to cut your costs anyway? Your Land Rover surely won't cost you that much to keep for many years?
    Firstly, this is an exercise in exploring ideas, surely what forums are all about? I agree "There comes a point where you should think "what the heck am I doing?"" but it's still worth asking the question. Spending 13,000 cuts costs by being able to sell the Land Rover and yard tractor for say 16,000 plus running costs and depreciation of Landrover of say 2500 a year. Fuel costs for tractor on red diesel used as land rover should be approx. same as land rover and should naturally be used less. Small Massey s tend to hold value well, easy and cheap to maintain and last well, probably better than the Zetor

Thinking in another way, If your gross margin is 25 per lamb, your need to sell 100 lambs just to have a Land Rover sat in the yard and I'm not sure how sensible that is.

Firstly, this is an exercise in exploring ideas, surely what forums are all about? I agree "There comes a point where you should think "what the heck am I doing?"" but it's still worth asking the question. Spending 13,000 cuts costs by being able to sell the Land Rover and yard tractor for say 16,000 plus running costs and depreciation of Landrover of say 2500 a year. Fuel costs for tractor on red diesel used as land rover should be approx. same as land rover and should naturally be used less. Small Massey s tend to hold value well, easy and cheap to maintain and last well, probably better than the Zetor
    Well coming from someone looking for a old crystal to lug a bale trailer about, they have keep their money very well!!!
    People have caught on that they aren't as bad as they were led to believe!

Your thoughts about using a 550 are sound , the smaller Fergusons without reductions in the halfshafts are ripe for this job . Simply replace the gearbox from a model up the range ( x65 and up ) . These turn the output shaft faster which is then slowed down again by the reduction between diff and wheels . So putting a 4 cylinder gearbox in a 3 cylinder tractor will give you about a doubling of speed . So around 32 mph in a standard 8 speed , 40+ mph in a 12 speed . If you are short of power then put a four cylinder engine in it , or turbo it , the 152T in fitted in the 355 and 360 models . It might be easier to convert a 4 cylinder model with reduction hubs , to a non reduction model if you see what I mean , either by welding the reduction gearing solid or using trumpets from a 3 cylinder . Now there are a few caveats . You won't be able to use the tractor for anything other than road work , as the increase in speed will have a decrease in torque handling ability . And picking away in High 1st will need a bit of clutch slipping . A big help would be to install some sort of front axle braking , the bestway would be to replace the front axle with something off a Transit or 7.5 ton lorry . The fact that it'll be un-insurable and exceptionally illegal need not prevent your ambition .
    The views posted are mine and not those of my employers

At last...! thanks for that.

When I posted the question I was intent on technical comments not a debate on morality or business acumen!

Does anyone know what the diff ratio is in a MF362 with 12/12 gearbox? And what others if any, will fit. The idea is for simple and inconspicuous changes using standard parts to give approx. 30% increase in speed

don't no what part of north yorkshire you are from but where i am from you will run out of gears going up hills with that size of tractor,no some one who made a ih574 do 32 mph it didn't last long

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
    don't no what part of north yorkshire you are from but where i am from you will run out of gears going up hills with that size of tractor,no some one who made a ih574 do 32 mph it didn't last long
    Well gears on hills was a concern. What size of trailer was he pulling? Did he change the diff. to get the speed? When you say didn't last long, is that the tractor or the idea?

At the moment I can go up some steepish hills in 4th (5speed 'box) with the Zetor 6245 and loaded Ifor, though the top speed on the flat is probably 16mph which is the problem

stopping it was problem,engine went into bits it did 1 mph for every hundred revs,so reved to 3200,he used to lead straw off wolds back to whitby area

30 mph in a old Massey? Hope you get locked up before you kill someone. Why not swap your livestock trailer for a bigger one and take a few more a bit slower?

would a 40 series ford be suitable. we had a sle 1 that did just under 40mph

Why do you need such an expensive land rover? Wouldn't something for 2k suffice? Then spend your 10k on a decent 4wd loader tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    would a 40 series ford be suitable. we had a sle 1 that did just under 40mph
    Is that all of the 40 series? I've heard of 7840 being fast but a 5640 or 6640 is probably more for me