Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: High speed Massey tractor

Re: High speed Massey tractor

My hedgecutter man put an Izuzu engine in an MF 165, its supposed to do 40mph.
    Give it full throttle

Senior Member Pheasant Surprise's Avatar

The OP needs to fess up. He really is trawling for ideas to build a hot rod Massey for his use on private roads, trackdays and drag meets at Santa Pod. We could all then contribute without being morally outraged at the prospect of Franken-Massey on public roads pulling sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Surprise View Post
    The OP needs to fess up. He really is trawling for ideas to build a hot rod Massey for his use on private roads, trackdays and drag meets at Santa Pod. We could all then contribute without being morally outraged at the prospect of Franken-Massey on public roads pulling sheep

No, firstly, It's about the technically feasibility of swapping a standard gearbox or a standard diff. in a tractor to give a mildly increased road speed when travelling on fast open roads such tunk roads and duel carriage ways, which is probably safer than travelling at 16mph. Just because a tractor can go 30mph doesn't mean it can only go at that speed (I'm not a 16 year old boy dragging silage trailers) in the same way as my land rover can supposedly do 90mph, but I don't travel down every winding B road at 90mph. It's as much about bringing down revs and cutting fuel use on the flat, as speed, to bring fuel use nearer to that of the Landrover

Secondly, it's about looking at optimising vehicle use and "cutting out dead wood" I currently do approx. 800 miles a year with the trailer, mainly 40 mile round trips and several 70 mile round trips, which equates to 3+ per mile for the privilege of using the landrover, which seems too high to me

My latest thinking (which is changing by the minute!) is, considering the price of second hand tractors, it could be better just to bite the bullet and buy a new 90ish hp stockman type 40K tractor, sell both old tractors and land rover and be done with it, with the aim of keeping it a good long time as even then my total tractor usage would be no more than 500 hours per year
    But the one thing I can assure you I don't need is lessons in morality

necessity is the mother of invention

Will you not need white + a tacho if using a tractor that farm from home? https://www.gov.uk/agricultural-vehi...ences-and-fuel

Or is the distance thing livestock movement licence?
    Last edited by its yourself; 28-04-13 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
    Sense Amid Madness, Wit Amidst Folly

sjhelliwell.co.uk howbrooktrailers.co.uk

Either of these would fit the bill:

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    necessity is the mother of invention
    Perhaps a "revvy" engine on the back driving through the PTO shaft via land-drive?

spot on funniest thing i seen for a while i want one like that but would take balls of steel to drive it

of coarse the differance between these two tractors and the numb nuts weve got on here is that they were built for fannying about on, but our genius on here wants to use it for working with

[QUOTE=Recycled;158532]of coarse the differance between these two tractors and the numb nuts weve got on here is that they were built for fannying about on, but our genius on here wants to use it for working with[/QUOTE

Read the posts properly feckwit

I only keep the Land Rover to pull the livestock trailer (14' Ifor) and it's therefore an expensive luxury. So the idea is to get rid of Land Rover and a Zetor 6245 and replace with a (cheapish to buy and run) tractor for yard duties and transport, but would like road speed around 30-35 mph-ish to keep travel times down and aid fuel use
    you selling the float then

Lot of things in life are possible.

Only some of those are practical, legal, and sensible.

By all means build it, but for gods sake I hope you get the thing impounded as soon as it goes onto the road. Not quite sure what an insurance company would say about such significant alterations either...

i am majorly impressed by your ambition!!

Just put an MP gearbox in the 550 that gives you overdrive then a really high top gear for down hill

You'd buy a nice fastrac for that money

10sp leyland and let rip, brakes only hold u back if ur lucky, not a hope of stopping u and u could still keep what u own and buy one.

Senior Member Pheasant Surprise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    You'd buy a nice fastrac for that money
    C'mon Rob, stop with the sensible suggestions already. Its much too straightforward and BORING. You need to be suggesting a full gearbox swap, planetary gear overdrive and nitrous. That will get the juices flowing

I really cant understand all you sensible people.