Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wagon V forager

Re: Wagon V forager

Quote Originally Posted by Tullyvernon View Post

......taking the bad points of both and putting them together!

Whats wrong with these

We had one, thought im very glad it burned down with the shed. Forage wagon is good, way faster than that bastard. Local contractors offer spfh. also problem with contractors here is that they never show up when they're supposed to. 1 week too early, 1 week too late. To own a wagon is the only reasonable way to do silage in medium volumes in here. over 15km its 2.5acre/1hr and with nearby fields 10 acres per hour. We mix them up, so that in the pit it doesnt get too hot. the cattle milks great and wastes are at minimum. quick calculation: wastes are somewhere near 0.025%.

The best thing about a wagon is the ability to do 30-40 acres here or there when it comes earlier or later than everything else, and for which a sfph contractor won't thank you. Far easier and less hassle than baling.

Might as well put my view on here ! First year having anything to do with a wagon as I supplied the tractor power for a neighbor who hired a wagon, very impressed with it, a very relaxed way of making silage ! It took three men to do, one mowing then raking, me on the wagon and one on the pit with the forklift, and at times one more rolling with a tractor, no youths on trailers "driving like you stole it " ! No queue at the pits and a lot less diesel used ! Typically less than 10lt/hr on the wagon. This is leafy cuts for milker,I could see it not as good in stemmy bulky cuts for those who just take one cut I the spfh would have the edge and on long leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
    Might as well put my view on here ! First year having anything to do with a wagon as I supplied the tractor power for a neighbor who hired a wagon, very impressed with it, a very relaxed way of making silage ! It took three men to do, one mowing then raking, me on the wagon and one on the pit with the forklift, and at times one more rolling with a tractor, no youths on trailers "driving like you stole it " ! No queue at the pits and a lot less diesel used ! Typically less than 10lt/hr on the wagon. This is leafy cuts for milker,I could see it not as good in stemmy bulky cuts for those who just take one cut I the spfh would have the edge and on long leads.
    Exactlye, we handle 300-400acres in 7-9 days with 3 men, also these same men take care of the cattle while foraging, no matter if it shines or rains, the job is done. I wouldnt never hire a contractor
    Check my dairy management software! http://www.naka.fi/download/naka.exe

always thought you could use an auto swath mower to cut out the rake man, but would probably effect wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojekti View Post
    Exactlye, we handle 300-400acres in 7-9 days with 3 men, also these same men take care of the cattle while foraging, no matter if it shines or rains, the job is done. I wouldnt never hire a contractor
    Why not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fzs View Post
    always thought you could use an auto swath mower to cut out the rake man, but would probably effect wilt.
    Grass is spread when mown so needs raked up also grass feeds thru the wagon better for a more even chop if raked, not just swaths ontop of one and another

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Why not ?
    Of course its a bit complicated matter but to put it simple,its not cheaper (my exp) and you can do it when it's best for you; no waiting for contractor to arrive.

Thats confirmed my suspicions as to who you are!!

Quote Originally Posted by fergieman View Post
    Thats confirmed my suspicions as to who you are!!
    I'll have to go back into hiding then !

Den nya hacken 1360 frŚn MetsjŲ AB
    ByMetsjŲ vagnar13,917 views

This one will make the wagon fans comment!! Just a lighthearted post! Don't get too excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Holden View Post

This one will make the wagon fans comment!! Just a lighthearted post! Don't get too excited!
    This one?

British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Holden View Post

what happens when these go through?

Wagon for us,faster and less stress.

Top tip,take half the tines off the buckrake as it makes clamp work far easier.

Cool Re: Wagon V forager

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post

Err,bang,then a lot of sweating and cursing and throwing spanners.Don't miss it one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yale View Post
    Err,bang,then a lot of sweating and cursing and throwing spanners.Don't miss it one bit.
    thats what i was thinking
    at worse with a wagon you gotta pull 1 or 2 blades out for a quick sharpen

Think this is classed as a Chopper Killer! But with our wagon the first I knew of this bad boy was when it turned up in the feed trough the morning after i'd fed the cows. It made it through the forage wagon (ok it knocked some knives back at the time, but I didn't know what it was).... it dodged the shear grab and made a odd bang on the side of the tub mixer.

[img=http://s24.postimg.org/ysrlkid8h/big_stone.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

A stone is rumoured to have done 20K worth of damage to a local contractor's Claas self propelled in wholecrop a few weeks ago. I thought the latest foragers had a form of rock detector?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
    A stone is rumoured to have done 20K worth of damage to a local contractor's Claas self propelled in wholecrop a few weeks ago. I thought the latest foragers had a form of rock detector?
    I was talking to an insurance rep who told me they had a claim in for 45k for a class 900 that picked up something.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
    Havent heard of rock detectors, but metal detectors they should have

Also it's not healthy for the machine to suddenly brake the whole system with all that mass flowing throught...

Our krone mx350 cuts old and dry tree stumps into neat slices, even ones size of a big arm (bigger ones will just pass throught). That's when you can really see theoretical cut length.

We HAD a rock accident; rock, size of a head, somehow had gotten into a swath. Wagon picked it up but it didn't fit between the floor and the rotor so it stucked there. It took 30 min to fix the problem, and after the harvest (there was appr 90 acres left), the wagon had to go get some medical attention. Even rock of that size was not a problem for !!! Forage Wagon !!!

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    You're meant to chop grass not stones! Before anyone "gets on their high horse" I only comment as once upon a time fields were rolled. I appreciate tedders and rakes are now used in big numbers and these = stones in swaths. Rock detectors are available at least in N America. Foreign object detectors will I beleive appear on larger foarge harvesters in the future to protect them and reduce downtime. The passionate support from the wagon supporters is actually quiet admirable, but there are always alternatives! "Each to their own"
    Last edited by Martin Holden; 28-08-13 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojekti View Post
    Havent heard of rock detectors, but metal detectors they should have

http://www.rockstopper.com/our-produ...demonstration/

since we moved to the nh fr choppers we've never broke a blade , metal detector is that sensitive it wont let a stone through it

Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    ......taking the bad points of both and putting them together!
    Thats why I posted

Quote Originally Posted by Tullyvernon View Post
    Thats why I posted
    I gathered that from the zip mouth smiley!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    This one?

Handy if you could fit different heads - direct cut or maize. Or even as a bunker version like those odd spfh you see in Canada. handy in maize -less trailers in the field, mud on road etc. (although possibly defeating the purpose of a wagon)

Also front mounted choppers should have some attention, they seem pretty handy, compared to that metsjŲ product