Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new smartphone thread

Another new smartphone thread

Just posted this on another forum, but thought I'd ask here too ............

My iPhone 3Gs is coming to the end of it's useful life (I think) so I'm looking for a new phone.

I don't want one of the new 'monster' ones that won't fit in my jeans pocket.
    Maybe I could pick up an iPhone4 but I think there are several things just as good for about half the money (?)
    The thought of having an Android phone that I can make do what *I* want to (rather than what Mr Apple wants) appeals to me

Lots of googling suggests that one of the following would be good:-
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
    " " Ace 2
    HTC Desire X

I need 200 minutes, 200 texts and 200 MB data
    I prefer to be on Orange as the signal is better here

I've looked at the 'moneysupermarket' site to find the best tariffs - is that the best place? - so just need to choose the right handset now!

Re: Another new smartphone thread

For just that kind of use I chose and bought a DesireX for a friend not long ago. Do buy the phone outright and source a cheap contract for that usage separately. Do an online search for the best price for a sim-free phone as well, as there can be substantial variation in prices.
    The other one to consider is the Nexus4 direct from the Google play store. It was out of stock when I chose the DesireX.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    For just that kind of use I chose and bought a DesireX for a friend not long ago. Do buy the phone outright and source a cheap contract for that usage separately. Do an online search for the best price for a sim-free phone as well, as there can be substantial variation in prices.
    The other one to consider is the Nexus4 direct from the Google play store. It was out of stock when I chose the DesireX.
    I read your excellent review of the Desire X on here - thanks.
    The Nexus seems to me to fall into the 'too big for my pocket' category!

Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    I read your excellent review of the Desire X on here - thanks.
    The Nexus seems to me to fall into the 'too big for my pocket' category!
    Yes, the trend seems to be towards bigger phones. Given a few years and the trend will be miniaturisation, I've no doubt. Those Google things that project images directly into the eye with speakers that transmit through the skull is a taste of what to expect in future. It is only a matter of time before communication technology is embedded into people.

All I can say is that the DesireX is about as big a phone as I would like to lug around and the screen covers almost all the area. The iPhone 4s, which is my daily phone, is maybe a bit too small in the screen but there is a lot of waste at both the top and bottom where the physical home button lives. The 5 is just a bit longer, which is neither here nor there imo, especially since about 30% of the screen is still wasted.
    The Duck 2015

Do buy the phone outright and source a cheap contract for that usage separately. Do an online search for the best price for a sim-free phone as well, as there can be substantial variation in prices.
    I can get it (DesireX) on contract (24 months) for 14.50 pcm ... 24x14.5=348
    Sim Free it is 205 and a cheap 7 sim only ....................... 24x7+205=373

That makes the contract cheaper

Never seen a sim-free quite that cheap with no strings. Even the cheapest Giffgaff that I have noticed is 10 per month. 7 is a very good price.
    But the 24 month contract at 14.50 with a fairly high end smartphone like the DesireX seems fairly amazing value for those minutes. Answerphone calls will count against the minutes, no doubt. I was caught by T-mobile when their better value than Orange contract turned out to charge silly money for call-divert when it was included with my old Orange contract. I used to use call divert a lot, mainly because there is no mobile signal in the farmhouse ground floor. Oh well! Can't win them all.
    The Duck 2015

Thanks 'duck' - any one else have any thoughts???

Htc One same size as desire but made off alluminium lightening fast don't know how low the contracts come down to I'm on unlimited talk unlimited txt and 1gig data for 36/month

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Htc One same size as desire
    According to this http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=4951
    the 'one' is nearly 20mm longer than the desire x

Been just over a week acclimatizing to a Samsung Galaxy 3 mini after a BB9700 bold. Went for the mini as the fullsize Galaxy was just too big for comfort in overall top pocket, (or work trouser hip pocket when grinding/welding). Had it turn off once in a pocket as the on/off wake switch is a bit exposed on the side, only other real problem was its super slippery shape!! Cured that with a sumsung replacement back panel with attached flap cover for the screen.

Miss the BB for being able to slip it out of the leather sleeve, read mail or time and slip it back in just like that

Downloaded Firefox mobile, thats much better than the samsung or safari options it came with

ff

Google Android phones and tablets usually work well with Google Chrome browser. I don't 'think' your Samsung will have Safari installed unless you installed the Apple Safari browser from Google Play Store [if available].
    The Duck 2015

Thanks chaps for the info.

I'm still looking but have swapped to a Dolphin7 sim only for 7 pcm (inc vat) so will maybe get a new handset 'sometime'!

Google Android phones and tablets usually work well with Google Chrome browser. I don't 'think' your Samsung will have Safari installed unless you installed the Apple Safari browser from Google Play Store [if available].

Tiredness got me! your right its chrome.

Went to winchester last sat & just tied the google maps as a sat nav and it works very well. I wonder if it would know how to get to fields using their numbers or names

ff

Firefox won't play video on Android, I do think Dolphin is the best mobile browser, although it doesn't sync with other devices like chrome and firefox will do.

I have a sim-free deal on Orange - the 8/month one.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...nthly/sim-only

Just resurrecting this thread ...

I have decided, against all my original requirements and ordered myself a Google Nexus 4 from here
    https://play.google.com/store/device...-mt-0&hl=en_GB

To go with my Orange sim only Dolphin7 contract - 7 per months inc vat .... well, that was the original price till Orange (bless them) have decided to play the 'RPI index' card again

I got a Nexus a few months ago and love it. Seemed a bit big for a day or two but fits in pockets very easily as it is so slim. Iam just out of contract with Orange so will be spending the next few weeks trying to decide what sim only deal to go with. Like you I like Orange as they have a good signal round here (in fact they pay me a rent for a mast) but Vodaphone are pretty good as well. Customer service from Orange used to be second to none but since they combined with T-mobile it has gone down rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I got a Nexus a few months ago and love it. Seemed a bit big for a day or two but fits in pockets very easily as it is so slim. Iam just out of contract with Orange so will be spending the next few weeks trying to decide what sim only deal to go with. Like you I like Orange as they have a good signal round here (in fact they pay me a rent for a mast) but Vodaphone are pretty good as well. Customer service from Orange used to be second to none but since they combined with T-mobile it has gone down rapidly.
    Virgin - uses orange and t mobile signal. 15 all you can eat or 12 for loads. Nexus is a super phone just not always great on signal

It's all a personal choice, and what is right at the time.
    i got a Sony Xperia T on contract for 20 a month , 600 mins u/l txt and 500 mb Internet with Vodafone who are easily the best in this area . Great android phone , the right price and plan, job done

So whats the best sim only deal out there? is Giff Gaff unlimited Data? I plumpped for the Nexus 4 and love it. thought it would be huge in my pocket but infact its brill. got a leather cover for it to protect the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Palmer View Post
    It's all a personal choice, and what is right at the time.
    i got a Sony Xperia T on contract for 20 a month , 600 mins u/l txt and 500 mb Internet with Vodafone who are easily the best in this area . Great android phone , the right price and plan, job done

Thats what I have but if i use the internet it doesn't have a very long battery life. Hardly a phone though is it? More of a mini handheld computer.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    Thats what I have but if i use the internet it doesn't have a very long battery life. Hardly a phone though is it? More of a mini handheld computer.
    I take your point, I read reviews suggesting the battery life was not good , but I have found it could probably do 2 days. I am on 66% battery now having taken it off charge at 6.30am .yes it's a bit bigger than my old htc wildfire, but so much faster and easier to use. Email and messaging is great
    i have a gmail account so email/ contacts /calendar all seamless
    My wife has a Samsung s3 mini which is pretty good also, and a bit smaller. It was her first smartphone and she is getting on with it no problem.
    it depends what you want out of your phone, we can send our money via the banking app to any of our children in seconds so they can then spend it !

I have had a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini now for a month and what a disappointment. It keeps dropping calls for no apparent reason, worst phone ever for that, struggling to get much more that 12 hours from the battery, screen I cannot read in sunlight, you need 2 hands to navigate sensibly. Really frustrating to use and cannot rely on it.

You aren't going to get massive battery life from touch screen phones with multicore processors, some super sharp trillion pixel screen and wifi, bluetooth 4G and christknows what going on in there. It can't happen. If you want big battery life you need a phone with none of these.

Ultimately I like the Samsung and Iphone. The Windows phone does intrigue me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatwheels View Post
    I have had a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini now for a month and what a disappointment. It keeps dropping calls for no apparent reason, worst phone ever for that, struggling to get much more that 12 hours from the battery, screen I cannot read in sunlight, you need 2 hands to navigate sensibly. Really frustrating to use and cannot rely on it.
    Swipe the home page from the top down and it will open up the settings & notifications page. Turn off the bluetooth & gps if they are not being used, turn on the power saving if not doing much. Pretty simple to turn on/off as required.

Found the pukka samsung flip cover to be good, gives you something to hold the slippery fish! also cover the front and volume key. Pity about the on/off button on the side, would of been better with being slightly recessed IMO

Got it set to upload images via wi-fi only when in range to my dropbox account so any pictures taken automatically appear on the laptop via dropbox! & wi-fi only saves using your data allowance

ff

Interesting thread Jim

I am currently looking at replacing my Nokia N8 , which is on contract at O2 , and it due for an upgrade at the end of July.

The Nokia has never been much of an inspiration , a bit slow ,and the signal is crap on it ,although I live in a really bad trough in the ladscape , where the signal echos up and down , so its imperative I can have a phone with a decent aerial . |That always seems to be an afterthought with manufacturers though , so I am still wondering which phone is the best for me ?? I like the Samsung models ,and the Note 2 seems a good phone as it will allow me to type and draw on the screen with ease !
    But as to if I will stay with O2 I dont know ! I would like to try another network , (Orange maybe) , but doing that how?? Would anyone let you trial a phone?

Buy a cheap payg phone for testing, or if you are up for an bit of argy bargy get a contract from a company who says they will have a good signal and return it if you don't, might not go smoothly though. Or ask people you know what they are on and get them to come round for a drink
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Don't want to keep on about it but tried to set up the bluetooth for access to the internet through it for my netbook, Mrs ff's ipad & work laptop. Its about the same as the blackberry was- a pain in the ass!!

so I moved on trying the "portable Wi-Fi hotspot" option, it turns the wi-fi on the phone off and then transmits a signal the same as if it was a Wi-Fi modem, you just connect the kit the same as you would to any other wi-fi signal using a password and also giving permission for it to connect in the future. Had all 3 items connected and accessing the net an a fraction of the time!!

ff

Not all providers are keen on that (and they can tell somehow)
    I've used it on Virgin but only briefly.
    Most if not all phones can be unlocked to try a free PAYG sim for signal.
    You can't really tell from using a different phone even similar ones from same maker seem to vary.

I bought my own phone because the phone & contract were too expensive

Bought my phone from these people, competitive price and nice to deal with, highly recomended

http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/

Orange "sim only" contract giving me 600 minutes, 600 texts & 0.5GB internet access is 16.60 month. My original 2 year contract period ran out, and I've continued paying Orange the same amount, so I am not locked in any more and could switch at anytime.