Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another new smartphone thread

Re: Another new smartphone thread

Wizzo there are better deals than that.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyScale View Post
    Wizzo there are better deals than that.
    There always are. And some clever dick will point it out however good it is. Deal's done. Be happy. Move on to the next deal.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    There always are. And some clever dick will point it out however good it is. Deal's done. Be happy. Move on to the next deal.
    I know nothing about smartphones so saying nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Yes but Wizzo is on a monthly deal and could change anytime he wants with convenience which is why I pointed it out, he has also said he found a phone/contract expensive.

But I appreciate that you may enjoy paying more for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I got a Nexus a few months ago and love it. Seemed a bit big for a day or two but fits in pockets very easily as it is so slim. Iam just out of contract with Orange so will be spending the next few weeks trying to decide what sim only deal to go with. Like you I like Orange as they have a good signal round here (in fact they pay me a rent for a mast) but Vodaphone are pretty good as well. Customer service from Orange used to be second to none but since they combined with T-mobile it has gone down rapidly.
    Quoting my own post???

Thought I had fallen out of love with the Nexus 4, it died, used it at 4pm on Friday, picked it up at 6 pm, nothing. I phoned Google and spoke to a very helpful (american?) girl who talked me through a few technical push this button for 30 seconds type of things with no luck. New phone was ordered and return of old one explained, although they had to "block off" the cost on a credit card, no money taken unless I didn't return the old one. New phone arrived 10 am Monday, with pre-paid envelope for the return of the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyScale View Post
    Yes but Wizzo is on a monthly deal and could change anytime he wants with convenience which is why I pointed it out, he has also said he found a phone/contract expensive.

But I appreciate that you may enjoy paying more for less.
    Personally I think I'd have gone with Giff-Gaff [O2 network] with no strings for around 10-12/month. Could always change to someone else after a month if the service wasn't good enough.

If he is indeed on a monthly deal with no ties, yes there are obviously better deals out there. My daughter is on an Orange deal for 10/month but has only 250 minutes talk I think, which is way more than she needs. But to get that on Orange I think she had to commit to a year as a minimum. Not sure of the exact details.

My wife is on pay as you go, which is far cheaper for her considering the very limited use she makes of it. At a maximum she pays 10/month and that is only the odd high-texting month here or there. But she doesn't use any data. Average for her is about 6/ month, or so she claims.
    The Duck 2015

So whats todays handset and tarriff recommendation from the Duck (or others). Currently paying 15 a month sim only to O2 and using an old 50quid nokia flip which refuses to die.

Think its about time I got up to date with a smartphone. Need occasional data access for emails and checking my wind turbines. Mostly talk. Think currently on 600 mins. Which I need for the tractor driving months when boredom sets in.

Quite like the look of the samsung s3 mini but stuggling to get myself to fork out 200 for something which I will drop on the workshop floor!

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo View Post
    So whats todays handset and tarriff recommendation from the Duck (or others). Currently paying 15 a month sim only to O2 and using an old 50quid nokia flip which refuses to die.

Think its about time I got up to date with a smartphone. Need occasional data access for emails and checking my wind turbines. Mostly talk. Think currently on 600 mins. Which I need for the tractor driving months when boredom sets in.

Quite like the look of the samsung s3 mini but stuggling to get myself to fork out 200 for something which I will drop on the workshop floor!
    Maybe you need a semi-rugged or rugged phone. The Motorolla Defy Mini is a semi-rugged that is less than 100. I have not seen or used one. There are too many negative reviews for my liking though and you might be better off paying more and getting the real deal.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-DEF.../dp/B006Z37ZOU

The real deal is this one....

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...1098183/review

As for service plan, Giff-Gaff offers 500 minutes and a massive 1Gig of data for 10. Once you have run out of minutes you just buy another 10 worth. It expires monthly though, so it will cost a minimum of 10 a month and could be a bit more on the odd short month where you chat a lot.

Almost unbelievably, buying this phone and going Giff-Gaff will SAVE you about 350 over two years compared to a 33/month Vodaphone all-in contract which adds up to 792.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 11-07-13 at 12:36 AM.
    The Duck 2015

Was on a 24 month Orange contract with a Galaxy S2 which was a great phone for me. But I only got 500meg of data and regularly used 600 odd. This was costing me 10-15 quid extra on my bill!!!

I've just payed 279 for an unlocked Nexus 4 from Google. I've then gone for a Virgin Sim only deal. 15 a month for unlimited everything and only a month contract at a time. Will save me a freakin fortune! The handset only price for the Nexus 4 is way cheaper than Samsung/Apple equivalents for reasons best know only to Google. I love it so far and the Virgin network uses the Orange network so coverage is the same as I had before.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo View Post

samsung S3 mini 162 + VAT Amazon

I have got a month to run on my 3 yr contract with O2 .
    Having had very little help from them regarding reception issues at hom here , I have decided , after they offered me a new Galaxy at 27 a month , to buy a second hand Samsung Galaxy Note , and download the TU Go app ,to see if the Wi Fi around the farmyard will help me to get all the calls in and out! If it does I am going onto a Simplicity Sim only deal for 12 months , most probably 11 a month
    If it does not perform then its going to be a Vodaphone or Orange sim only , as the phone I bought is unlocked!

Very very pleased with the Samsung Galaxy Note (170) after 3 yrs of a dinosaur Symbian Nokia N8 , slow and incapable of running Tu Go

Quote Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
    I have got a month to run on my 3 yr contract with O2 .
    Having had very little help from them regarding reception issues at hom here , I have decided , after they offered me a new Galaxy at 27 a month , to buy a second hand Samsung Galaxy Note , and download the TU Go app ,to see if the Wi Fi around the farmyard will help me to get all the calls in and out! If it does I am going onto a Simplicity Sim only deal for 12 months , most probably 11 a month
    If it does not perform then its going to be a Vodaphone or Orange sim only , as the phone I bought is unlocked!

Very very pleased with the Samsung Galaxy Note (170) after 3 yrs of a dinosaur Symbian Nokia N8 , slow and incapable of running Tu Go
    Why tie yourself up for a year before you even know if the new signal is acceptable? Go for a monthly no-strings deal first. If one doesn't work, try another next month until you are convinced of the best signal. It is quite simple to port your existing number over to a new provider these days.
    The Duck 2015

I know O2 is about the best here , and the new TU Go app seems to be doing the buisiness. If my phone has no signal the TU Go routes the call through the Wi Fi . All I need to do is run some Cat 5 and hard wire another wireless router outside the house , tweak the aerials , and extent my Wi Fi around the buildings which are close to the house anyway!
    The 12 month sim is a bit cheaper than the monthly one , so by trialing the app till my contract ends in a few weeks ,I will be sure it works and be free to make my mind up about which sim only to go for ! Most probably the cheapest and work upwards to where I need to be re minutes and texts ,then do a 12 month one