Thread: "Pet" lambs

"Pet" lambs

Was hearing from a non-farming friend that a few of her colleagues at work have bought "pet" lambs! They're buying them from Preloved advert, & keeping them in their gardens & allottments!

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/li...ord=lamb%20pet
    &
    http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/li...ord=lamb%20pet

I was quite astounded! They seem to be the latest 'craze/must have'.
    I've only noticed one advert that mentions in passing that sheep owners should have a Holding Number.
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Re: "Pet" lambs

Not surprised. This is akin to backyard poultry keepers. We have to fill out ag surveys/are on the bird flu alert list/etc., and yet there are literally thousands of hens roaming about the 'burbs and off every animal health and registration radar.

Does this mean when they have outgrown there gardens we will have flocks of sheep roaming the streets or will we see lambs being fly tipped in the countryside?

What it means is more money for me going round shearing them They are the best earner they are usually big fat awkward buggers but good earners
    Last edited by Dave S; 01-05-13 at 02:06 PM.
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman............But you can't tell him much

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    What it means is more money for me going round shearing them They are the best earner there is usually big fat awkward buggers but good earners
    Ain't that the truth? I once had to shear a 5 year old whether called "Don't run away". Great fat, lazy lump of lard he was, and probably one of the worst/last sheep I sheared.

When Gloucester market was still going, the pet lamb trade always jumped during the Easter school holidays. Lots of people would turn up with their (young) children with the idea of getting a cute pet lamb. I often wondered how any of the poor beggars survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    They are the best earner there is usually big fat awkward buggers but good earners
    That's no way to talk about the people of Hull!

Quote Originally Posted by rogcal View Post
    That's no way to talk about the people of Hull!
    Sorry people of Hull

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Ain't that the truth? I once had to shear a 5 year old whether called "Don't run away". Great fat, lazy lump of lard he was, and probably one of the worst/last sheep I sheared.
    A lot of what i shear actually have sacks of fat that hangs down to their hocks from the tail head, really as neglected as a emaciated one when you think about it they have lush grass and the owners feed them nuts all year round. The only way to get them over to shear is to pull their legs from under them then try lifting them up or in some cases shear them where they lay.
    But as my days of shearing numbers has gone, they are a good little earner for me each year

Just don't understand someone who can sell these off to obviously unkowledgeable homes - it's a certain death, not to mention bypassing 'the rules'. It happens with jersey bulls too, I recently heard about someone who rocked up at a farm and bought a handful of them, and they were sold with the assumption that someone who buys a handful of jersey bulls would have a clue what to do with them. Nope! The guy rang a few days later complaining they were dying - the stockman of said farm visited to find them kept in a garden shed with no milk (at a few days old) with only hay. he confiscated the remaining ones on the spot, but they died.

I sell a few of my orphans through preloved - You have to fend off the odd daft enquiry where you have to tell them they need a holding number etc, but essentially the AML1 and the tagging ought to sort out any idiots.

I feel no need to mention that people need a holding number for the same reason I wouldn't advertising any stock for sale, because it should be bloody apparent when the movement forms come out. Most customers I speak to seem to take on orphans each year, often to eat summer grass on horsey paddocks and then to go in the freezer in autumn.