Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enough is enough

Enough is enough

Just wonder who is getting beyond fed up with the weather. It is starting to sicken me.

This time every year we can usually sit back for a while and enjoy watching the lambs and calves jumping about the fields and adults grazing contentedly. A wee break of a few weeks or so between the stress and worry of getting born alive and fighting dodgy weather at the same time - and then the when the work starts again with summer jobs.

May 2 - ice on the troughs in the morning. Lambs shivering. In the afternoon, driving north wind and sleet/hail, some said snow on the hills. Almost need crampons to walk in the field, so much rain, the turf is starting to slip loose when you stand on it.

I am never away from the feed store. Buy some bags to get through another week because the weather is supposed to turn then; but no, back the next week for more. Everything I wear outside stinks from hauling haylage out of bales to take to sheep who are in a field that I can't get a bale to. My hands stink in spite of soaking them in neat bleach. Another ewe hard down with TLD yesterday, managed to stick her in time and get her up and going. (Why? throwing feed at them, and feed blocks) Lambs trying to bunch together under the tiniest bit of shelter, I can almost see the cocci growing in the mud.

It really is too much. Meanwhile it appears that the south is basking in sunshine. Freezing temps predicted for tonight. And more rain.

Re: Enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Just wonder who is getting beyond fed up with the weather. It is starting to sicken me.

This time every year we can usually sit back for a while and enjoy watching the lambs and calves jumping about the fields and adults grazing contentedly. A wee break of a few weeks or so between the stress and worry of getting born alive and fighting dodgy weather at the same time - and then the when the work starts again with summer jobs.

May 2 - ice on the troughs in the morning. Lambs shivering. In the afternoon, driving north wind and sleet/hail, some said snow on the hills. Almost need crampons to walk in the field, so much rain, the turf is starting to slip loose when you stand on it.

I am never away from the feed store. Buy some bags to get through another week because the weather is supposed to turn then; but no, back the next week for more. Everything I wear outside stinks from hauling haylage out of bales to take to sheep who are in a field that I can't get a bale to. My hands stink in spite of soaking them in neat bleach. Another ewe hard down with TLD yesterday, managed to stick her in time and get her up and going. (Why? throwing feed at them, and feed blocks) Lambs trying to bunch together under the tiniest bit of shelter, I can almost see the cocci growing in the mud.

It really is too much. Meanwhile it appears that the south is basking in sunshine. Freezing temps predicted for tonight. And more rain.
    Do you make your entire income of stock lc ?? if not get rid of them and enjoy yourself, no point of having a life of drudgery.

Get rid of a few fat cattle/stores that eases the pain when you see the cheque.

In deepest Cheshire we're still catching up on the weather and still scraping (thin) ice off car in the morning. Grass is only just starting to get going and it's a late spring for our bees.
    We've had to feed our bees longer than usual and they still haven't had all the foraging warmth they could do with and after last year we'll be in serious trouble if bees in general have the same difficulties with weather. There's been sun this week so maybe things will improve - I'd send you some if I could!

Think we are on lower ground than you lc,reasonably sheltered,so done ok in the later part of winter,apart from flooding a couple of weeks ago.In Jan I was seriously hacked off with out wintered cattle though,never had such a mess.This has led to a couple of scouring calves which we have not had for years.But still cold and wet this morning and set to get worse.Lambing mostly done and calving 75% through.No grass,but not unusual for here,consequently plan silage accordingly,have enough left and a bit to help out neighbours with.Am getting sick of the smell like you,try tomato ketchup on your hands,dairy farmer trick apparently,works as good or better than most things.Anyway,hang in there,the sun will shine,maybe in July,but it will,and if there is no grass,then no silaging.That will save some hassle,and maybe preserve my hair a wee bit longer.

You'll have the land of the midnight sun up there before long-take it easy?

Omg you are living my life
    The tourists think Im living the dream
    Thoughts of moving to a house with a tiny garden are never far away
    Im sick of it too so I dont blame you
    I make my money from the tourists ,I have a caravan site and cottages and I sell them my beef and lamb, but tourists have been thin on the ground lately with this weather

The life of drudgery is getting me down too this winter, and yes Im super fit but the cold gets into the joints
    and yes its still winter here as well, freezing rain, beyond a joke

I really feel for you, Ladycrofter - I know we havent had it so bad down here but I've never known a winter like it, am totally knackered after months of everything being in (and we still haven't turned cattle out because we'rconcerned about forage shortages next winter, so are going to take first cut off all the grassland) and the dust off the forage and straw has kicked off late onset asthma - never had it before but do now.... great!

But, as someone who has thoroughly enjoyed the past week of decent weather, it's starting to pile up problems already even down here. We're ripping up a fields of spring barley that has germinated poorly because fields are by the river and wereconstantly flooded and so mix of impaction and crumbly topspoil meant bad germination. Nutrients have leached out what are usually are super fertile fields, so lime being dumped on it as I speak and we've had to hire in two dung spreaders this afternoon to get muck spread on as well before they get ploughed again, plus get maize seed, so what would have been grain for the beefers will now be used for dairies, so shortfall already for them plus a lot of extra cost.... We'd just about got level with the jobs needing doing, so had intended to have a weekend getting cattle ready for Devon County which is 'downtime' for us but that ain't happening now.. typical! That is, of course, if we go clear on our pre-movement bTB test...

Me too, got fed up with constant wet, and now it's looking like a drought starting! Not much grass at all, cattle still in, not a good outlook for silage this year! Just hope it changes but even if it did right now, everything's so late and the fields have been grazed pretty low already.

I've decided to reduce numbers. It's a shame, but no way do I want to be dependent upon buying in silage next winter.
    Clive Tee

Going to warm up on sunday onwards, going by the forecast and trying to be optimistic also!

Whats all the fuss? Things round here look pretty much like they always do on the 3rd of April.Oh...wait a minute....!

Lady crofter, I know how you feel, but the sun WILL shine and you WILL remember why you do it - but just not at the moment.
    Undoubtedly you raise superb livestock that are a pleasure to see about the place - they WILL look better than they may do at the moment. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, once you get past the worst of the present, so chin up, smile, hang in there!

Can I join this club?
    My cattle are all out but still in wintering fields, still munching haylage but looking poor. No visitors, please!
    However, while I'm still grumpy, its a good time to take a hard look at the breeding animals and decide what to keep, what to cull.
    I have several in the naughty field already.
    Best wishes, ladycrofter. Careful planning.

HI LC

you are not alone although thankfully winters latest blast has passed Galloway bye - mind you nothing like spring should be - we only just spread fertiliser yesterday and finally have some sign of growth in the grass but still feeding ewes out of bags and more losses than we really should have.

On the positive side two live calves today so not all doom and gloom

Chin up - summer is comeing

Cheers
    mac

Thanks guys, I was really on my way down.

Just came in, soaked to the bone even through waterproof trousers (I think it was running down my back), freezing cold northeast wind, rain and SNOW. Managed to make a bit of shelter for some of the lambs that will be breeding stock, the rest may be dead or alive in the morning, but the ewes seem to have plenty of milk so fingers crossed they can tough it out. TLD ewe still going strong. Opened what turned out to be a really good nice-smelling bale of haylage for the cattle and distributed around. Milked out the mastitis cow, bloody this morning but clearing up tonight.

Best thing tho is your kind words of commiseration and encouragement. Thanks.

I thought last winter was long. This one beats it hands down. There is always a year that reds out the silage pits, hay barns and grain stores. This one is ripping farmers overdrafts apart though cos there is no feed to buy, merchants struggling to find straights to put in mixex. Live trade is dropping like a stone, no one wants to buy anything cos there is nothing to feed them on.
    Hang on in there....it can only get better, cant it?

pretty much the same here, unless lamb prices rocket this will be probably our worst year ever (profit wise) yet at the same time the public a moaning about how expensive food is, in a way that is starting to annoy me as they have no clue at all the amount of work that goes into it. Most of them wouldnt last 5 min lambing in this weather

To be quite honest we are considering not even putting tups out this year, whats the point? there is absolutely nothing to be made from producing lamb in these conditions. just running about like fools to pay feed and vet bills. most people are pretty much had enough around here as well

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Do you make your entire income of stock lc ?? if not get rid of them and enjoy yourself, no point of having a life of drudgery.
    Boy, that's absolutely no help.

ladyC, I feel the same way many times. It seems we have trouble remembering the good times when things are at their worst. You are not the only I one who has those feelings, we just have to soldier on knowing these times will end and better times lie ahead.

Do your best, or you will have regrets later. Best wishes.

Thanks guys, I was really on my way down.

Just came in, soaked to the bone even through waterproof trousers (I think it was running down my back), freezing cold northeast wind, rain and SNOW. Managed to make a bit of shelter for some of the lambs that will be breeding stock, the rest may be dead or alive in the morning, but the ewes seem to have plenty of milk so fingers crossed they can tough it out. TLD ewe still going strong. Opened what turned out to be a really good nice-smelling bale of haylage for the cattle and distributed around. Milked out the mastitis cow, bloody this morning but clearing up tonight.

Best thing tho is your kind words of commiseration and encouragement. Thanks.
    I really do feel your pain on this but as an "old boy" used to tell me "it has always turned around before and it will do again". Trouble is the troughs seem to be getting longer.

I thank my lucky stars at times like this that I am no longer struggling to feed 90 (3x) milkers (And process, bottle & deliver 5000 pints daily) but I know I will miss the misty sunrises fetching them in for milking in June.

When the weather is with you there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING on this Earth that can come close to the life you have

That really good nice-smelling bale of haylage more than matches any concoction on MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    Boy, that's absolutely no help.

ladyC, I feel the same way many times. It seems we have trouble remembering the good times when things are at their worst. You are not the only I one who has those feelings, we just have to soldier on knowing these times will end and better times lie ahead.

Do your best, or you will have regrets later. Best wishes.
    No help ? pall you either get on with or get out of it and is you have another source of income and you feel enough is enough chuck the towel in and live happily ever after whats the point of feeling like that if i felt enough was enough i would go and do something else.

Well, I really am beginning to believe we have climate change. It is thus certain in years to come there will be a world shortage of food. We have to stick in there, we will adapt, they are going to need people like us soon because we are the only ones tough enough and skilled enough to do this job. Stick in there Lady Crofter you are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpiekid View Post
    Well, I really am beginning to believe we have climate change. It is thus certain in years to come there will be a world shortage of food. We have to stick in there, we will adapt, they are going to need people like us soon because we are the only ones tough enough and skilled enough to do this job. Stick in there Lady Crofter you are needed.
    I've been hearing about the forthcoming food shortage for all my life.Even when we had food mountains.I dare say there will be a big shortage at some point in the future,but it could be another generation or two.I'm a bit loath to encourage folk to keep doing what theyre doing if they don't like doing it,on the assumption there will be jam tomorrow.People should not lead a life of misery and lwork for nothing just because "theyre needed".

Got up early and the rain has stopped so Im sure its the same with you LC. Its to come in again tonight though but to rise in temp a bit
    Best soloution for me last night was the speyside malt and phone a friend, and all the animals are still alive this morning, hope yours are too

Fair point Saltoun, but on the whole she does love the life. (I wait to be corrected by Lady Crofter on that one). But I agree if all it is to you is a life of misery GET OUT. One small point food is too cheap.

No help because I imagine she already knew she could quit. I imagine she is looking for support to continue on.

Or I could be wrong, maybe she is looking for validation of her decision to quit. No shame in that.

Quote Originally Posted by saltoun View Post
    I've been hearing about the forthcoming food shortage for all my life.Even when we had food mountains.I dare say there will be a big shortage at some point in the future,but it could be another generation or two.I'm a bit loath to encourage folk to keep doing what theyre doing if they don't like doing it,on the assumption there will be jam tomorrow.People should not lead a life of misery and lwork for nothing just because "theyre needed".
    I agree, i had a very good friend took his own life last year becasue he reached the enough is enough point, i wish he had just spoke to some one he could have changed his job or retired etc we are not needed and thats a fact we are farmers because we want to be if we dont the option to change is there fortunatly, men and women have fought and died to give us freedom of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    I agree, i had a very good friend took his own life last year becasue he reached the enough is enough point, i wish he had just spoke to some one he could have changed his job or retired etc we are not needed and thats a fact we are farmers because we want to be if we dont the option to change is there fortunatly, men and women have fought and died to give us freedom of choice.
    Yep.If me and 90% of my neighbours were to quit,the land could be farmed by the remaining 10% without too much difference to the standard of husbandry.

Quote Originally Posted by saltoun View Post
    Yep.If me and 90% of my neighbours were to quit,the land could be farmed by the remaining 10% without too much difference to the standard of husbandry.
    Dont all quit at the same time as land prices may plummet, I shouldnt worry really but my bank manager might!

Quote Originally Posted by dexter View Post
    Dont all quit at the same time as land prices may plummet, I shouldnt worry really but my bank manager might!
    Heard a story from a straw merchant earlier this winter that one of his customers through in the west was so sick of the wet weather we've had this past 3 years that he decided he'd had enough and went round to see his neighbour offering him first chance of the farm.
    Neighbour just laughed at him as he had come to the same conclusion and was in the process of putting his place on the market.

Can understand how many more will be feeling the same way after this spring.

I agree with Hilly. We all have bad days (like last night when 6 hours of bad weather filled a whole bag with dead lambs which were all good lambs!) you pick yourself up and move on after a good swearing usually. If LC is feeling this bad telling she has to stick at it as she is "needed" isn't all that helpful either. In life we should aim to be happy in our chosen employment as far as possible. Hopefully in a month's time it will be a distant memory and you will be looking forward to next years lambing LC!