Thread: Norton on line back up

Norton on line back up

Last week my `puter would not boot up. The repair boys said the HD was on its way out.
    They were able to clone the HD on to a new one so nothing was lost.

We have used Norton back up for 6 months now. Although we lost nothing we were able to retreive some files we needed on to another computer during the 2 days mine was away.

I would recomend using one of these on line back ups. It runs automatically every day or you can set it off manually.
    Cost was 20 (think that was an offer, seen it advertised at 50 ) and you can put 5 computers on,

Good for piece of mind !

Re: Norton on line back up

Any backup will do. I use iCloud and Timemachine, which is an external backup to a hard drive.
    Always keep two backup. Timemachine does two and iCloud is my remote one.
    On PC's I use the cloud and an external drive when I remember. Backup software is standard on all Windows versions as far back as XP if not before. But it does require an external drive connected to USB usually.

Basically backups are down to whether the operator can be arsed. Its too late after the event. All that is left in that case is regret.
    The Duck 2015

I back up important folders every evening using Microsoft Snyctoy.
    If anything changes on the selected laptop or desktop folders, the changed files (only) are replaced with the latest version on both machines, plus copies on a flash drive plugged in the router, on Dropbox, and Skydrive are updated.
    It's set to run as a scheduled task - if they aren't on at the prescribed time it runs when first started.

There is no need to be paying for something doing more or less the same job.
    Last edited by 4wd; 06-05-13 at 09:57 PM.

Bugger Icloud. I hate Apple software with a passion.

MS Synctoy is good.

Why anyone 'hates' this or that is beyond me. They are just different. I just work with what is in front of me, be it any version of Windows or Apple OSX or Android. Some features are better on some than others. Forced to choose an OS it would have to be W7 but Apple stuff is just as good.
    The Duck 2015

Software designed by Apple forces you to do everything their way and only their way. That is my beef. The software is fine in terms of reliability and its interface, but Apple are so damn restrictive in how they let you do things, no wonder Windows and Android devices are so popular, its a movement of people trying to avoid Apple software.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Software designed by Apple forces you to do everything their way and only their way. That is my beef. The software is fine in terms of reliability and its interface, but Apple are so damn restrictive in how they let you do things, no wonder Windows and Android devices are so popular, its a movement of people trying to avoid Apple software.
    Did you read that in a book or on a forum and swallowed it whole?

Fact is that whatever system you use it will work in a different way to another system. W3.1 was very different to ME and XP was different again and on to W7 and now W8 which few people get on with. All as different to each other in user interface terms as they are different to OSX.
    All computer operating systems are regimented and fairly fixed in their interface style. They are maths processors with slick front ends.
    The Duck 2015

Mayo's just a bit snarly because he's a big Bill Gates fanboy and someone dared to mention Apple

Quote Originally Posted by jmm View Post
    Mayo's just a bit snarly because he's a big Bill Gates fanboy and someone dared to mention Apple

Hardly. I like W7, previous versions of windows were universally pants. I am not a fan of outlook at all, either.

I have Iphone and like it. I am on my third now. I also have an ipod.

I am not fan boy of either company, but I would say that although both are total monopolies or try to be, MS software is a lot more flexible and less restrictive. Whether they are forced to make it so or just did because they are so kind hearted I can't tell you but I can tell you that if you connect an android phone to a PC you can do virtually anything however you like with both. Yet with an iphone you are FORCED to use apple software or third party applications to achieve anything. I like the iphone a lot, maybe the android device is better in terms of hardware and software, but what I detest is Itunes, it is a shit of a program from start to finish. If I could just run my phone with W7 and its own built in plugins I would readily do so. Anything to avoid bloody itunes.