Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mole plough to use with steel tracked crawler.

Mole plough to use with steel tracked crawler.

I am thinking of making up a single leg mole plough to use with my Track Marshall 155 and was thinking of using parts from spaldings such as the blade, shoe and expander.

I am inclined to the view that building this moler with wheels and rams is not really necessary as I can use on the rear links in float position so the wheels etc would not be really much use other than as a depth stop if not entirely ornamental. Am I right?

Would appreciate some advice from those wiser than me.

Re: Mole plough to use with steel tracked crawler.

Mounted mole ploughs never really have the desired effect if you want to remain at a constant depth (opening up drainage systems) even in float.
    Trailed, a fair way out the back and on skid beams are much better.
    If you just want to open a few runs in some heavy land then I am sure your fully mounted one will be fine.

Many thanks then I will go with wheels and rams as there's really nothing worse than a load of skid marks down a field,which will happen with skids. I will go with wheels with rams so can adjust depth if need be rather than on the links as it's better to make a decent one than something that is a constant irritation.

Many thanks.

Use rams and wheels but you will also be far better mounting the whole thing so that either channel or RSJ's form two skids either side of the leg otherwise you will get weed and shyte hanging round the leg and lifting the mole out.
    An old disc is also a good thing to have cutting a path just in front of the leg to help prevent this.

Thanks for the further advice a good point about putting a disc in front of the leg, I did at first think of putting two legs side by side and milling the inside edges of both to take a cutting blade held by countersunk machine screws that could be removed and sharpened almost like a chisel only double sided - but my thoughts are that this would be ridiculously expensive and over the top. My land is sticky clay and I would be moling 16-18 inches deep starting from my ditch sides uphill and through existing grass swards so the cutting disc as suggested by you is really essential. Many thanks for the pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Muck View Post
    Use rams and wheels but you will also be far better mounting the whole thing so that either channel or RSJ's form two skids either side of the leg otherwise you will get weed and shyte hanging round the leg and lifting the mole out.
    An old disc is also a good thing to have cutting a path just in front of the leg to help prevent this.

LM is describing the classic Michael Moore plough. We have one which gets used rarely, but wouldn't sell.

The leg, point and widener are all standard spaldings/pan-anglia/apm etc parts. Under the two channels that it slides on is a length of steel strip about 1" wider than the channel, welded as a replaceable skid strip it also helps stop sinking in wet going. There is also an old ransomes plough disc & arm to slit the soil as LM mentioned.

(to see more right click the thumbnails, to see even more, right click the larger image and use the "save as" option to save it somewhere on your PC. then open it up by double clicking it to view it. You should have the option to zoom into the image)

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    LM is describing the classic Michael Moore plough. We have one which gets used rarely, but wouldn't sell.

The leg, point and widener are all standard spaldings/pan-anglia/apm etc parts. Under the two channels that it slides on is a length of steel strip about 1" wider than the channel, welded as a replaceable skid strip it also helps stop sinking in wet going. There is also an old ransomes plough disc & arm to slit the soil as LM mentioned.

(to see more right click the thumbnails, to see even more, right click the larger image and use the "save as" option to save it somewhere on your PC. then open it up by double clicking it to view it. You should have the option to zoom into the image)

ff
    The 'essential' part is the two shorter lengths of channel beside the leg itself. This is what keeps the mole constant, level and also clear of trash (a bit like the foot on a sewing machine)

All very enlightening indeed, many thanks for the advice and especially the photos maybe I might start trying to work something on this design or indeed look out for the genuine article and renovate as I know spaldings have the principle spares.

Many thanks to you both.

If you use along drawbar pin that touches the ground it stops trashiest ting wedged round the front of the leg.
    nick........

sprinador , terry birch twb subsoiler has a very nice long beam mounted mole plough with a front disc in his yard ,give him a call

We have built lots over the years for us and customers. Always use wheels and rams. The bulk of our single leg ones have been based on two channels approx 4 ft apart as skids with the disk and the leg between them at the back. We also had hydraulic rams on the drawbar so more pressure could be exerted on the rear of the tractor if she started spinning. Last years creation was a twin leg option to single leg based on a simba mono. This is by far the best so far. No beams to run on the ground and cause drag. Depth is set on blocks on the chassis and axle. We then have some flotation tyres on it. If going down the beam route you will find in trash it throws it up between the beams and often blocks around the leg. We found that as wide as possible and also often to channels so approx a foot of height helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    If going down the beam route you will find in trash it throws it up between the beams and often blocks around the leg. We found that as wide as possible and also often to channels so approx a foot of height helps too.
    That's if the beams are not tight enough and you don't use a disc. We had one that was set about 4 inches wide and was a pig.
    The Moore was close and the beam around the leg was thicker underneath and so we never got trash problems (just an old gate hinge once that got so hot it caught the grass alight...)
    I'm talking about the bit that holds the leg when I mention a skid, right in the centre.
    As for the frame, I would get it up and out of the ground away from trash.

Thanks for the tips - I did look at the TWB one today over a cup of tea it looks good but surprisingly doesn't have a cutting disc which I thought would be essential to me for chopping grass sward. Derky's points are good although I could use the tractor I favour using my crawler to pull it otherwise my TM155 is largely ornamental. Whatever way I go down I think getting the design right ( easier said than done but looking at what others have done first, helps ) is my main criteria and when I do hopefully it will be very useful.

My problem is that I have limited use other than on my own land and cannot justify whacking out 7K on something I am going to use say once every three years and all the second hand ones that I have come across seem to be manky ole toot. Hopever I do think the TWB ones appear very functional looking but so did my shakerator until I pulled the depth wheels off when I hit a bit of buried clay boulder!

Further to our in depth review of mole plough design since my last post, I had a look again at TWB's single leg Magic Mole which is a nice looking bit of kit and made by someone who is no slouch, but however I would have thought that a disc to cut sward was essential and also some weight rear of the blade would not come amiss to stabilise the machine as the single beam low down being sledged along the ground ( possibly it needs a replaceable plate for wear purposes ) and this keeps the centre of gravity low and thus reduces overturning forces but say three tractor lift on type weights behind the mole leg would : 1. keep weight low and force the blade down into vertical at all times and also 2. stabilise it from wobbling about in use. For my use and my ease of use I favour a linkage mounted machine as reversing in tight small fields with a wheeled implement and a tracked crawler that is used once in a blue moon could become trying. Do you think weights behind the blade would make a difference or am I talking bull.

We ran a single leg on the TM135 2o years ago and had a trailed one, what was esential was a floating drawbar so that he could turn back on himself. We had 2 drawbars one for transport and one for the tm which was about 3 ft long and floating.The point i was saying was on our 1 leg machines was to have two beams 3 or 4 ft apart running to about a foot off the deck. Then run cross memebers other the top with a disc going down hill and then the leg holding arrangement. So the only parts in contact with the ground are the beams (well out the way but ensuring a constant depth) the disc and the leg itself. Muich less to snag when in trashy conditions then.
    Springador where you based ?

Derky, The land I want to square up and mole etc., is just off the A41 near Kingswood - between Aylesbury and Bicester. I am not in a hurry as there's an awful lot of clearing up to do first but maybe it might be good for me to contact you if your making up molers all the time. I was looking to make one up later this year and after all you have done a lot of development and know what works best. My TM 155 has wider tracks than normal and deep grousers so she pulls well enough and on my land I have done quite a bit of ditching where it was needed and most fields run down to ditches it's not really pancake flat. - Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    We ran a single leg on the TM135 2o years ago and had a trailed one, what was esential was a floating drawbar so that he could turn back on himself. We had 2 drawbars one for transport and one for the tm which was about 3 ft long and floating.The point i was saying was on our 1 leg machines was to have two beams 3 or 4 ft apart running to about a foot off the deck. Then run cross memebers other the top with a disc going down hill and then the leg holding arrangement. So the only parts in contact with the ground are the beams (well out the way but ensuring a constant depth) the disc and the leg itself. Muich less to snag when in trashy conditions then.
    Springador where you based ?
    Derky, on strong ground, do you not have any problems with distortion of the leg with the beams being above it ?
    We managed to twist the frame on strong Suffolk clay with a homebuilt mole (think it was made somewhere up north, can't remember, maybe Notts) It would pull easier than the Moore but wouldn't take the stick. We had a Miles also which was fairly well built.
    Mind you, these were behind D8H 22A's and our old D6.

Springador, if you are near Derky and on similar ground, it would pay to go and visit him and take a look at what he can build you. It might save you lots of time and money...

Lord Muck, I think your suggestion that i visit Derky, if possible is a very sensible idea as I am on heavy ground where I am and that is why I'm thinking that the design has to be right. Out of curiosity last Autumn I heard of a firm from Suffolk working in North Herts and I went to cast my eye over their kit. Their operator told me that he tried pulling two legs on their heavy clay ground but his D8 wouldn't have it, so had to drop to one leg, mind you he was going in very deep about 2'-6" I think from memory. compared to his D8 my TM155, would have stood still. I think he was using a Miles drainer or one made by them in their workshop. The land owner who I met before sniffing around his land told me that he had had it done in the past shallow to about 12-16" with a local chap using a TM155, but was largely a complete waste of time in his opinion. However his land was up and down like a hoar's drawers with no ditches to really mole into so where the water went was anyones guess. I think what Derky, is saying makes a lot of sense as it needs to be towed rather than linkage mounted and needs beams lowish down but not on the trash or sward to keep centre of gravity low. My thoughts of a small weight frame above and behind the blade might help to stop lift in the leg, I thought of using 3 old 55KG Massey Ferguson weights as these are kicking about the place.

We do some moling over that way already !!!
    We can make the Challenger come to a halt if going in at 22 on permanent dryed out pasture. But generally she is on top of the job as it wants to be done slow anyway.
    Lordmuck not been an issue up to now and our ground is like Springadors as only the other side of the hill.

Will speak to you on that Derky, want to square it up first as a whole lot of trash lying around as after late March, when just about to reseed some fields I called it a halt on the ground as too wet and started laying in farm yard hardcore instead. Once old shit grass topped and old hedge trimmings cleared will come back to you for sure. You must be over Brill Alps way?

Don't use it, sell it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/grassland-...item43bba3ee10

I've been after a single leg mole plough for my 16hp Kubota for ages, but they go for really silly money on ebay. Some rusty out-of-the-nettles pieces have gone for 400-500

derky any chance of some pictures of your twin leg one?

cheers john

Brill Alps ! I love it over the hill at Oakley.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Mark 2 single leg mole plough
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Does the twin leg go ok without running on beams? I use a samba tool carrier with a frame and beams on but it's not quite right as when you lift up if the ground really hard it lifts the back of the 765 up. Also it's takes ages to change to one leg as we can't always pull 2 legs.
    brought another one from a sale but that's a bit unstable.

As long as you set the drawbar height and lower it to the stops on the axle or ideally lower chassis direct to akxle its fine. The only variables are if you were in very wet conditions and the tyres starting sinking and if its that wet you should be tucked up back at the ranch.

Derky, what can i say but your mole plough really looks the business. And it is very well finished in the fabrication, welding and finish departments.

Have you given any thought of going into limited production as you really should. I would definately be interested in a single leg version, as my TM would't pull to legs with an expander as well. Regards. P S will be in touch for later in year when you cross the Alps again!

We have done a few for people but by the time you work out the costs its a cheap to get one from philip watkins or similar. We will have a yarn at some point and look at what you want and will price it up for you.

Yes, definately. I appreciate the point your making about one offs though as I once restored an old xk jaguar roadster and redesigned all the throttle linkages to run in phosphor bronze bushes and made its special carburettors new inlet trumpets from solid billets of alloy and then added gauze spectacles over the trumpets - yes they sure did look nice but added not a penny to the value of the car.