Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian May on Radio 2 give me strength!

Re: Brian May on Radio 2 give me strength!

I posted a complaint on the BBC website. The response said that as Brian May was asked to provide a piece on his view of British life the BBC had no editorial control. The person who responded to my complaint, Conor MacKin, wrote that the Jeremy Vine programme has discussed and will discuss Badger Culls, Badger Baiting and Fox Hunting again in the future. I wrote back stating that I feel the BBC is missing the point by lumping these three subjects together as Badger Baiting is completely illegal, Fox Hunting is something that I personally don't agree with, but is a traditional countryside activity and that culling of wildlife including badgers is a unpleasant but absolutely necessary method of controlling a virulent and highly dangerous disease. I also suggested that it may be useful for the Panorama team to take a detailed look at Bovine TB. Have not yet had any response to my last message.

Quote Originally Posted by chasingmytail View Post
    I would like to see the NFU doing a bit of propagander, supplying books to schools, funding projects - see how McDonalds have done it - success!
    5 years or more ago, Guy Smith, the "guy" who writes inside the back cover of the NFU magazine made quite a good book to go into schools to educate kids. There was one sent out with the magazine for us to send on to a deserving place, mine went back with my cousins kids to a school in a large town.

Not sure it helped though, last i heard one of the girls was a flexitarian, a vegitarian with options apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    For leptospirosis maybe. Not for TB.
    Dear old Dafta spent a lot of our money, proving it too.

http://bovinetb.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...t-badgers.html
    That's what I thought, its amazing how people can get away with peddling crap by calling themselves Scientists. But I suppose if you repeat something loudly enough, people start to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    This should be force fed to godMay and his cult followers

I dont use twitter, is there anyway that this could be quietly posted on to Brian May's twitter account!? They are so brainwashed it'll do them good.
    Science For Womankind - Creda, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by CRACKERJACK111 View Post
    I dont use twitter, is there anyway that this could be quietly posted on to Brian May's twitter account!? They are so brainwashed it'll do them good.
    It probably won't. this is the sort of thing you're up against.

https://twitter.com/brockdeb/status/334870909628334080

Any idea what tests they use? - and what about the perturbation of badgers already in the release areas caused by the foreigners?

Any idea what tests they use? - and what about the perturbation of badgers already in the release areas caused by the foreigners?
    more info here:

http://bovinetb.blogspot.co.uk/2004/...cation-tb.html

and here

http://bovinetb.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...portunity.html

The old 'Brock test' has been trundling around for years, in fact another 'trial' was set up in blaze of glory in the late 1990's to test it. It wasn't finished. It failed. Didn't anyone think to tell him?

The Ministry - MAFF ( Defra in another life), knew before they started that the live badger test was rubbish on a supposed negative result, but they had to be seen to be doing 'something', and Mr. Paterson's PQ's teased out the same answers in 2004. Pretty good on a positive, but dangerously ineffective - in fact 60 percent wrong - on a negative result.

Defra say that if used 3 times, the accuracy increases, but if the badger comes from "a population with a background prevalence of infection of 10 percent, then there is a 2.7 per cent risk of the animal still being infected". (26th March 2004. Col 1085W).
    Perhaps we'd better ask what happens to the test if the 'background prevalence' is above 30 percent, as in the last figures released. I'm sure someone's worked it out.

Thanks MBJ - there we have it then! Supported and believed by those who moan about the cattle test being useless and therefore cattle are spreading TB.

Thanks MBJ - there we have it then! Supported and believed by those who moan about the cattle test being useless and therefore cattle are spreading TB.
    The Brock test isn't compulsory either - rubbish though it is. In fact the PQs gave us a quaint insight into the mind set of Defra. The protocol for these sanctuaries is neither set nor approved by Defra. But they show no inclination to do anything about that, preferring a softer target perhaps?
    http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/.../55594.article

One of the twittering badger fans has blocked me after i handed her her arse on a plate, and the other one has responded as follows:

Farming is one if the few jobs where you dont require formal qualifications ... sayes it all really. Why its a mess.

Clearly you don't need to be able to spell or punctuate to be a self appointed twitter expert either.

Anyway, it's all rather pointless arguing with such people, but it does rather illustrate what you're up against when the argument goes something like this.

Badgers don't spread TB, it's cattle.

but cattle are tested before movement

ah, but the test doesn't work.

what about badger movements then?

You lie! badgers aren't moved.

Yes they are, here's an article about a badger sanctuary telling us how they have moved badgers away from the cull zone.

Ah, yes, but they were TB free.

How do they know?

They tested them!

But you said that tests don't always work?

You're a stupid ignorant farmer and I'm going to block you so ner ner ner I can't hear you.

Well done MBJ - the pointy stick obviously hurt!

It's very odd that when cattle are such an obvious (to the Twits, Tweeters and Mayzers) source of tuberculosis, AHVLA's advice booklets on preventing this deadly zoonosis, spend a hooooge amount of time and dead trees demanding that we take all possible steps to prevent access to our cattle from .... badgers.
    If 'bovine' tuberculosis is all about cattle, this helps how?

It's very odd that when cattle are such an obvious (to the Twits, Tweeters and Mayzers) source of tuberculosis, AHVLA's advice booklets on preventing this deadly zoonosis, spend a hooooge amount of time and dead trees demanding that we take all possible steps to prevent access to our cattle from .... badgers.
    If 'bovine' tuberculosis is all about cattle, this helps how?
    We just had our first confirmed case of bTB. We have been a closed farm for 9 years, double-fenced everywhere, no access to other cattle is possible unless they fly. We have badgers and deer. The steer almost certainly caught TB out in the field. Rest of herd now tested 3 or 4 times in the past few months and all clear every time. We have a zero history of TB; so something has brought it in.

I don't know where the TB came from, but I do know 100% it wasn't cattle. It can only be wildlife perhaps sharing licks or water troughs, or eating grass that's been pee'd on by infected wildlife.
    Clive Tee

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    One of the twittering badger fans has blocked me after i handed her her arse on a plate, and the other one has responded as follows:

Farming is one if the few jobs where you dont require formal qualifications ... sayes it all really. Why its a mess.

Clearly you don't need to be able to spell or punctuate to be a self appointed twitter expert either.

Anyway, it's all rather pointless arguing with such people, but it does rather illustrate what you're up against when the argument goes something like this.

Yes they are, here's an article about a badger sanctuary telling us how they have moved badgers away from the cull zone.

How do they know?

They tested them!

You're a stupid ignorant farmer and I'm going to block you so ner ner ner I can't hear you.
    Ha class, silly girl, get stuck into them Basil.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post

How do they know?

They tested them!

Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

TBH, I have no problem with people saying they don't want to cull badgers because they believe it's morally wrong, that's a value judgement on their part, i disagree but it's up to them. My issue is with the whole 'it's all the fault of you stupid ignorant farmers' line of argument, which being a stupid ignorant farmer myself, I tend to take personally.

I was in the pub earlier this evening with someone who meets Brian May in person on a fairly regular basis. We decided that it would be a fascinating and scientific experiment to see whether a tame badger (as kept by one of us, many years ago) could be trained to eat Brian Mays, and if so whether it would be good for badgers in general.

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    I was in the pub earlier this evening with someone who meets Brian May in person on a fairly regular basis. We decided that it would be a fascinating and scientific experiment to see whether a tame badger (as kept by one of us, many years ago) could be trained to eat Brian Mays, and if so whether it would be good for badgers in general.

It wouldn't take much training rgsp. Badgers are aggressive omnivours and hoover up anything that crosses their path, although his guitar may cause a bit of indigestion. Hedgehogs, slow worms, frogs, newts, toads, rabbits, eggs, chicks and new born lambs - take your pick. You may have to chop the other May into badger sized chunks though. As an aside, three people known to our ex DVM have been infected with badger tuberculosis via bite wounds from infected stripeys who didn't take kindly to being 'rescued'.

I find it amusing to ask the Badgerists at fairly regular intervals, whether their vehement objection to controlling / managing and culling badgers extends to every badger, regardless of its health? Or if groups positively identified with tuberculosis were identified and thus only these targeted, would their attitude change?
    That seems to stop the conversation stone dead.

There is no argument which could be leveled at the clearance of a Grade 3 zoonotic pathogen, which is now feeding up into other mammals including domestic pets, and ultimately putting human lives at risk. Tuberculosis should be the target here, not any one carrier.

I find it amusing to ask the Badgerists at fairly regular intervals, whether their vehement objection to controlling / managing and culling badgers extends to every badger, regardless of its health? Or if groups positively identified with tuberculosis were identified and thus only these targeted, would their attitude change?
    That seems to stop the conversation stone dead.

Very occasionally one comes up with "...wouldn't kill those that are not actually ill or obviously suffering".

Very occasionally one comes up with "...wouldn't kill those that are not actually ill or obviously suffering".
    You can't see pain or as the RSPCA so quaintly put it 'a slight wheeziness'.
    Our post mortem pics tell a different story, as do those on the VAWM video link.

England=A small overpopulated country on the northern edge of Europe,where its people care more about badgers than children.................

I see an opportunity !! From the second link above . " 1. That it is NOT an offence to take a badger from the wild, if the reason for its removal is: "solely for the purpose of tending it".

So take them , test them - if diseased euthanase them ...... Problem solved !!!
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

http://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/bovine-tb/ On the RHS of the page is this tweet:

A MESSAGE FOR ALL AT SECRET WORLD TODAY!

Follow the FB link, note comment about a face abscess, watch video - could this 'abscess' be Tuberculosis?

Sheila, maybe a tweet for you?

A MESSAGE FOR ALL AT SECRET WORLD TODAY! https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?
    story_fbid=520793287983992&id=467347523328569

Follow the FB link, note comment about a face abscess, watch video - could this 'abscess' be Tuberculosis?
    FB page not available Joyce.....
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

Quote Originally Posted by arf View Post
    Sorry, Arf, I had to edit the post - the FB link works from FWI but not how I posted it here ....
    However this is SO worrying [or a blessing in disguise?] that I decided to C&P the actual FP post - Goldie is of course a badger that was being cuddled a few weeks ago.

MESSAGE FOR ALL THOSE AT SECRET WORLD TODAY!

Hope you are all having a wonderful time, thinking of you all! Sorry I am not there to add to the support, but got horrible abscess on face, so not keen on the whole camera thing look out for the lovely Goldie and give her a big hello from me, hug preferably! Here's a reminder of how she looked, a few weeks ago!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6mx...it?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by arf View Post

A MESSAGE FOR ALL AT SECRET WORLD TODAY! https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...67347523328569

The link had broken - fixed now.

Joyce - any idea why did they have that badger in their house?
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Thanks Sam