Thread: "Modern" way to grow swede's for dummies

"Modern" way to grow swede's for dummies

We grow a couple of acres of swede's each year, however since dad is living in the wrong century they still have to be hoe'd

What exactly is the modern way of doing it? Am i right in saying that you spray prior to sowing which stops weeds from growing? was it not called "teflar" or something like that.

I have a atv sprayer and a stanhay precision sower which sows on ridges. But i would need bigger belts as it sows at 2" at the moment.

Would it be possible to do it with this equipment?

thanks

Re: "Modern" way to grow swede's for dummies

"Treflan" was band 3 years ago, speak to Robertsons, Kildary or Agrii Culbokie or maybe Geddes would help you out. Most lads will be using "Metazachlor" (Butisan S) 20/l type product and maybe some Clomazome (Centium 360)100/l type products. You are looking at 35/ha for the chemical. They work a treat but are better sprayed on a damp seedbed. Overlapping will at best discolour the seedling and at worst Nuke the crop. If its DIY clean the sprayer out well before and after spraying. Better getting an insured contractor to do it to take the blame when it goes tits up. Or keep hoeing a couple of acres will only take a couple of days....

Just re read post. Get a contractor a quad sprayer will be as accurtate as an American carpet bomber. Got to be put on through a well calibrated sprayer.

Cheers BB
    Last edited by beltbreaker; 17-02-13 at 02:03 PM. Reason: More info

Metazchlor is your best option. Pre or early post em. Firm, moist seed bed for best results!

By hoed are you meaning they need singled or a pass with the steerage hoe?
    We used to sow ours on the flat with a Stanhay at about a 6 inch spacing. I wouldn't think different belts would be a problem but you need the right grade of seed to match the belts. We have stopped sowing kale with the precision drill because you can no longer get J grade seed.

The chemical you are thinking of is Treflan it was cheap and cheerful and worked well about one year in three. Like so many others it is now banned. it needed to be worked into the soil before sowing. Butisan works ok but has a limited spectrum of weeks that it controls so will depend on what you have. It can be sprayed after sowing or after emergence but not while the seed is chitting or it can delay emergence.
    We have added in a bit of Gambit which improves weed control but can be a bit nippy on the kale not sure how it would be on neeps.

Even after doing this we still often have to go through them with the steerage hoe. Well the old fergie needs to be pulled out the shed once a year.

thanks for the replies. I mean singling and weeding with a hoe with a wooden handle!

Alot of the problem is coming from couch grass, would these chemicals control this?

Couch? You're screwed really! Glyphosate at 4lt/ha!

In fact, I'd go as far as to say a steerage hoe would make the problem worse. Every time you go through it with the hoe you break the couch rhizomes and more will sprout from the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishTone View Post
    Couch? You're screwed really! Glyphosate at 4lt/ha!
    I was wondering this myself, we plough up ley in jan-feb then sow by mid may. next year its reseeded and might not be ploughed again for 10 years.

(couch worse in fields used for silage)

When would you advise applying glyphosate? january before ploughing or may before sowing?

thanks

Probably both to be fair! Couch is a sod! Spray before ploughing and give it at least a week before you go in with the plough. Then see what has come up before seeding. If you need to give it another dose.

couch can be sprayed out of swedes easily, forget the chemical name but its the same as used in beet, clears the field well.

Try Laser post-em.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishTone View Post
    Try Laser post-em.
    +1