Thread: Borehole

Borehole

Looking at installing a borehole for the water supply, anyone had any experience of doing this and what sort of costs are involved, TIA.

Re: Borehole

Yes, we put one in last year.
    You will need a mains supply for the pump and somewhere to install the timing control box (some people use a garden hut type thing) and make sure that you get the water quality tested after a few days of venting the bore to test for potability (drinking quality) and other minerals that may affect what you want to use the water for (eg spraying).

Budget 5000 at least as the charges are usually based on depth of bore/easy of drilling. We found water at 24m but drilled to 64m.
    Also, don't be greedy and over suck as you will negate the vacuum effect that draws water to the bore & have to find yourself another bore to drill at 5k again

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    Yes, we put one in last year.
    You will need a mains supply for the pump and somewhere to install the timing control box (some people use a garden hut type thing) and make sure that you get the water quality tested after a few days of venting the bore to test for potability (drinking quality) and other minerals that may affect what you want to use the water for (eg spraying).

Budget 5000 at least as the charges are usually based on depth of bore/easy of drilling. We found water at 24m but drilled to 64m.
    Also, don't be greedy and over suck as you will negate the vacuum effect that draws water to the bore & have to find yourself another bore to drill at 5k again

Thanks for that Rick, we were looking to put a borehole in due to only being on spring water, can it not be done without a mains supply ?

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker65 View Post
    Thanks for that Rick, we were looking to put a borehole in due to only being on spring water, can it not be done without a mains supply ?
    Think he means mains leccy not water ?

mine cost about 10k five years ago but mine is drilled to 400 foot as I have a water bottling plant next door and they have 11!
    if I had to do it again I would get my local sparky to do the 'top' work as the company that did the whole job were poor at electric work but good at drilling.do not fit metal screwed pipe to bring the water up, use plastic because if you get a knackered pump you can easily lift the whole lot out with a loader tractor if you are steady, not so easy with pipes to unscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker65 View Post
    Just had one drilled this week on a site with no mains supply.
    Plan is to get a 5kw generator to run pump to periodically fill 5000lt storage tank.
    Last edited by Archie; 18-05-13 at 12:10 AM.

mine cost about 9000 2 years ago inc pump etc 60meters deep, further 2000 for a manganese filter, 1000 to get power to it.

needed 30 meters of liner approx 100/m . deeper than that is just drilling at 50/m. drilling company should be able to give you a fairly accurate gestimate on depth needed

we used a 10ft shipping container as a home for the pressure vessel and filters. its way too big but was on site already.

Ours cost near enough 10k everything done. Base price was about 5800 to drill hole, up to 10m of liner and supply pump and wire to a supply provided by ourselves. As the soil was unstable we had to have quite a lot of extra liner which aint cheap, it's drilled approx 40 yards from the buildings so we had to get trench dug, put pipe and electric cable in, get electrician to put in a supply to an isolator which they wired to. Also had a bigger pump as there's no shortage of water and a pressure vessel which were extra over the original quote.

No special huts here, the pressure vessel is in the shed with a water pipe and electric cable running out to the borehole, all there is at the borehole is a manhole cover.

We got one bored a few years ago. 65ft deep and cost of the hole operation was around 4500 if I remember which includes the boring/lining and the whole electrical work. The water from the bore is used around the farm except for our house and the water heater tank in the Dairy as limescale buildup is too great and would damage the heating elements in kettles, immersion heater elements etc.

We have no filter. Just a pressure tank, small electrical control box with on/off switch, 32mm from pump to pressure tank pumping water to drinkers 1 1/2 mile away.

-- Has anyone got any pics of how they covered the well? We have never got around to properly covering ours so just a bag over it to stop dirt getting down the pipe.

block built box over well with concrete manhole cover

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post

-- Has anyone got any pics of how they covered the well? We have never got around to properly covering ours so just a bag over it to stop dirt getting down the pipe.
    Here you go Reggie:

The upright pipe is where we will connect to run the water to the new shed. The pipe running across the grid is the venting pipe

15k for 200m deep, drilled and lined, inc pump, reverse osmosis and UV unit- and tested to human drinking standards.

If your lucky to live where I am then water is easy to come by, had a quote not long ago 2000 for 50m -80m drilled and lined. then a would source my own pump at a cost of 600-700, job done for a little over 3k. because we don't have a problem finding water we would drill as close to the leccy supply as possible, the last one we put done is in my garden shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Think he means mains leccy not water ?
    Yeah he meant mains electricity to run the pump from. Shouldn't cost much depending on how much water your abstract.

Cheers Bald Rick for the pics. Just what I needed.

From what I can tell price is always going to boil down to the depth you have to drill to and whether or not you need to carry out water treatment to bring it up to the standard you need. I've spoken to quite a few rural property owners who have their own borehole and I'd say Timbo's pricing above is pretty close to what you'd expect to pay for something that deep.

Not many of the companies give a lot away on price on their websites, seems very cagey. Found a few useful snippets on here though - http://www.daleswater.co.uk/faqs/

Haymaker, I guess before you look at having one fitted, you need to know if there's water to be found?

Bald rick[/QUOTE]
    Also, don't be greedy and over suck as you will negate the vacuum effect that draws water to the bore & have to find yourself another bore to drill at 5k again [/QUOTE]

Would you like to expand on that. We've been having trouble with running short of water in last few years in spring ( the season) when all cattle and sheep are in but extended dry weather.
    Think I may have some leaks to sort too mind.

(Sorry messed up quote on my phone!)

Quote Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
    Bald rick
    Also, don't be greedy and over suck as you will negate the vacuum effect that draws water to the bore & have to find yourself another bore to drill at 5k again [/QUOTE]

Would you like to expand on that. We've been having trouble with running short of water in last few years in spring ( the season) when all cattle and sheep are in but extended dry weather.

(Sorry messed up quote on my phone!)[/QUOTE]

If I can (not a hydrologist) ...

As I understand it, water moves through rock both vertically & horizontally through fissures and other air gaps or by osmosis or by the creation of a vacuum by the extraction of an existing substances (hence water is pumped under very high pressure to displace shale gas causing the rock to shear or frack).
    Therefore if you drill a borehole, it will fill with water (assuming it has been drilled in the right place ie where there is water trapped in the rock). When this is extracted, the vacuum created sucks more water in.
    Boreholes pumps should run on a timer so that the bore is allow to fill from the subterranean reservoir before another extraction - this can be quick if the bore has been drilled in to a large reserve. However if the bore runs too often, the vacuum becomes too weak (or distance to the next bit of water too great) for it to "pull" water in to the bore so it runs dry.

Or that is how I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post

(Sorry messed up quote on my phone!)[/QUOTE]

If I can (not a hydrologist) ...

As I understand it, water moves through rock both vertically & horizontally through fissures and other air gaps or by osmosis or by the creation of a vacuum by the extraction of an existing substances (hence water is pumped under very high pressure to displace shale gas causing the rock to shear or frack).
    Therefore if you drill a borehole, it will fill with water (assuming it has been drilled in the right place ie where there is water trapped in the rock). When this is extracted, the vacuum created sucks more water in.
    Boreholes pumps should run on a timer so that the bore is allow to fill from the subterranean reservoir before another extraction - this can be quick if the bore has been drilled in to a large reserve. However if the bore runs too often, the vacuum becomes too weak (or distance to the next bit of water too great) for it to "pull" water in to the bore so it runs dry.

Or that is how I understand it.[/QUOTE]

Every borehole should be test pumped to deem it's supply limits then a pump supplied to suit your water supply. the worst thing you can do is have a pump which pumps large volume for short periods, all this will end up doing is silting up the hole and having 'dirty' water!
    A nice steady regulated supply is far better for the whole system, no point pumping flat out for 2min then waiting 4 hours to go again. Think of emptying a sink, if you pull the plug all the rubbish goes to the drain, if you only partly open it the rubbish doesnt get drawn down the same!
    there are a few rouge companies about who just put in small holes plonk a pump in and leave, just be careful, could get costly!!
    we always finished the well head with a concrete manhole with sealed lid (easier to lift pump out) and used galv pipe as riser then put controls and vessel in the nearest building where nothing would freeze.
    Talk to either Phil Whitter ( Fred Dibnah type character) or Rob Piggot at Wyatt Bros, they both are top blokes and a wealth of knowledge.

Do you need a license to abstract water, or planning permission to drill the hole?

If so what do these cost?

If i remember correctly everyone has the right to abstract upto 10 cubic meters of water per day, over that you need a licence and test pumping to see if you affect other local water levels. It could have changed now, no doubt the EA have to know your drilling anything incase of any contamination issues!

Quote Originally Posted by DX 3.90 View Post
    If i remember correctly everyone has the right to abstract upto 10 cubic meters of water per day, over that you need a licence and test pumping to see if you affect other local water levels. It could have changed now, no doubt the EA have to know your drilling anything incase of any contamination issues!

20 cu m without an abstraction licence although EA are trying to close that but you do need to inform the British Geological Survey so they can mark it off &/or inform you of likelihood of failure.

Usual rules of manure storage/application & chemical wash down points apply

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyToo View Post
    Do you need a license to abstract water, or planning permission to drill the hole?

If so what do these cost?

In the 80's the late boss asked for a borehole licence but was refused due to it tapping into one of the towns chalk aquifers so then asked the rival water company whose area started the other side of the main road......................."no problem, fill the forms, send a cheque and bore one where you like!"

Same aquifer!

ff

What sort of price range would it be to sink a borehole well these days?

And who does it in Northern Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by nivilla1982 View Post
    What sort of price range would it be to sink a borehole well these days?

And who does it in Northern Ireland?
    Gibson drilling in garvagh do a lot of them and would be one option for you to try.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Gibson drilling in garvagh do a lot of them and would be one option for you to try.
    Cheers, not that far away.

We have had a bore hole done for a private water supply for the farm, the deeper you go the more expensive it will be. Expect to pay 60+ /metre, plus materials, plus site set up etc.

Ours is 110m deep with water at 75-80m

Additional costs/work to consider are above ground but depend on what you will use the water for. Items such as water testing/boost pumps/treatment system/filters/tanks/electrical connections/buildings etc which can easily double the costs.

We are not connected yet as above the above ground stuff is very much work in progress.

Had Meehan Drilling up last week, hit water at 160 feet drilled on 240 feet to ensure a good supply. The men doing the drilling said it was one of the shallowest wells they had done for a right while. Very competitive price.

Just wondering what size of pressure tank you lot use? We have a 300l one but our pump kicks in every minute or so during milking most likely to do with the plate cooler. Air pressure is fine as I check it every two weeks or so.