Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit control

Rabbit control

Apart from shooting them what's the alternative to killing them any other ways or tricks to try

Re: Rabbit control

Ferrets & nets, drop/long nets, running dogs, hawks, night vision shooting if lampshy, drop boxes but that requires fencing, snaring, trapping. That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

You could always try making a noise like a carrot

Remember if using snares in Scotland now you need to have training and receive a certificate and registration number (from the police iirc) and all snares must have users registration number on. Some people may think this a pain in the neck, I have a much lower opinion (pain in the rectum).

Phostoxin, but you will need to be sitting down when you get the price, shoot what you can and then have a day or so going around healing holes in, then go back a week later and gas the holes being used, works well but you need to be very thorough or you will be just wasting time and money,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    any other ways or tricks to try
    Stop killing the foxes...... and set up some perch poles for hawks....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Flood holes with silage effluent or slurry.

A drop trap is what you're after, takes a bit of setting up but very effective.

Goggle "rabbit drop trap" for more info and even some videos demonstrating them in action.

Cover in all rabbit holes then leave a few days to see which are dug out and active........ then blast the buggers with a rodenator
    http://rodenator.eu/rabbit_control.php
    If in doubt, yank it out!

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Stop killing the foxes...... and set up some perch poles for hawks....
    Maybe not far off the mark.
    Not seen any rabbits for 4 or 5 years. Coincides with estate next door no longer shooting my place so no keeper going about and a huge increase in buzzard and hawk numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Not seen any rabbits for 4 or 5 years. Coincides with estate next door no longer shooting my place so no keeper going about and a huge increase in buzzard and hawk numbers.
    Those poles take a few minutes to set up, have a couple foxes (male and female preferably) live trapped from an over populated area, vaccinate with a dog vaccine and rabies shot and turn them loose on the place. Real good piece of publicity showing farmers doing good for nature and not just raping it like the tree huggers think you do.... Can always shoot a fox now and then to keep control and remove a couple perch poles. A nest box in the barn gable for owls and/or kestrels will work wonders on the mice/rat problems that some folks have and not as nasty as cats shitting everywhere....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Those poles take a few minutes to set up, have a couple foxes (male and female preferably) live trapped from an over populated area, vaccinate with a dog vaccine and rabies shot and turn them loose on the place. Real good piece of publicity showing farmers doing good for nature and not just raping it like the tree huggers think you do.... Can always shoot a fox now and then to keep control and remove a couple perch poles. A nest box in the barn gable for owls and/or kestrels will work wonders on the mice/rat problems that some folks have and not as nasty as cats shitting everywhere....
    Not many goshawks here in the UK (yet) and buzzards will only take the occasional baby rabbit. If there were, they'd only have a marginal effect as rabbits are usually nocturnal and hawks hunt by day!

Introducing foxes to Australia doesn't seem to have done a lot for their rabbit problem. Maybe Daven missed the posts on foxes taking lambs and poultry?

Rabbits need to be controlled using every means at your disposal -- lamping, dogging, shooting, snaring, ferreting, drop boxes, etc. -- and it needs to be relentless! Now is the time to hit them before they breed again over the summer. Disease has hit them harder here than I have ever known but there are young ones about already and they will be the young of those with immunity.

Didn't miss the posts at all.... Did you miss the part about a pair and then shooting as needed to keep the population under control? As for the poles, when the hawks go to sleep and the rabbits come out, so do the owls and use the same poles..... I don't care what you do and what kind of PR you get. It's obvious by reading some of the stuff people post about the media bashing farmers, that the farmer, for the most part, is just a piece of shit in the publics eye (at least the public that the jobless couch huggers listen to). Think if I were a farmer in the UK, I'd be trying to improve that image rather than just smear more stink. Do what makes you happy.....

Get a Pet Fox

Hmm we are surrounded by trees with an almost uncontrolable fox population, the keepers just shoot the ones they can... We have hawks, kites and buzzards here in large numbers and for sure if it wernt for the rifle and lamp our fields would move with rabbits (upland unit - down in the valley floor is 10 times worse).

Our only natural helper in the control of rabbits is the odd epidemic of Myxi.

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Our only natural helper in the control of rabbits is the odd epidemic of Myxi.
    Haven't seen a sick bunny around here for at least 3 or 4 years now so would have to assume there's pretty much 100% immunity till it. There's plenty of foxes about, plenty of cats, and buzzards galore, yet the bunny population has gone through the roof so I'd have to conclude that without human intervention there is nothing to stop them increasing to silly levels.

I've been shooting for 3 or 4 months now and have at least pegged numbers back a bit and seem to have avoided the spring flush in population as well but I've resigned myself to having to control rabbits from now pretty much continually. Have to say I'm not a shooting person, have a .22 which I inherited but have used more ammo in the past few months than the previous 20 odd years but after waiting a few years for nature to take control of the situation it became obvious that it won't.

Guess everywhere is different.... You don't see the cottontails in this area unless they are in town (then they are almost an epedimic)... The big jackrabbits (hare) are in the outside areas and pretty much controlled by predators and hunters......

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    Haven't seen a sick bunny around here for at least 3 or 4 years now so would have to assume there's pretty much 100% immunity till it. There's plenty of foxes about, plenty of cats, and buzzards galore, yet the bunny population has gone through the roof so I'd have to conclude that without human intervention there is nothing to stop them increasing to silly levels.

I've been shooting for 3 or 4 months now and have at least pegged numbers back a bit and seem to have avoided the spring flush in population as well but I've resigned myself to having to control rabbits from now pretty much continually. Have to say I'm not a shooting person, have a .22 which I inherited but have used more ammo in the past few months than the previous 20 odd years but after waiting a few years for nature to take control of the situation it became obvious that it won't.
    We had a huge myxi outbreak here in the late 90's (think the whole of mainland UK did?) which practically wiped them out. Then theres been smaller outbreaks every now and again over the last 10 years. Seen a few already this year with classic symptoms - which is strange as its usually always around the autumn when we got it here - but your right if humans dont control them, mother nature doesnt seem to be wanting to help too much.

Shooting (mainly at night) is a good way to control them, but as John says youve really got to do a 'roundhouse' of methods to wipe them out. Ferrets with purse, half and long nets is probably the most effective, followed by rabbit fencing and well placed drop-traps. But using the nets youve got to learn and have know-how to get results.
    Lamping is our chosen method but through the winter months when we have gotten more ontop of the population we have a few days 'sport' of snap-shooting with ferrets and shotguns, those days the .410 is king

Dave Applesquasher

Only thing that makes a difference around here is my .22
    Fox, buzzard etc make no difference, mixy does a bit but not much at all.
    Mixy around most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    Only thing that makes a difference around here is my .22
    Fox, buzzard etc make no difference, mixy does a bit but not much at all.
    Mixy around most of the time.
    Agree. An hour or so in the evenings with my .22 and a box of Win SuperX gets results. Would love to use the .17HMR more but the .22 is the workhorse, a silent assasin.

I wish to god people would not post such complete & utter bullshit on a public forum...just to have a pop at game shooting !!!!!!!!!

Plenty (probably hundreds) of poultry & sheep farmers in this part of the country depend on keepers to keep fox numbers down to protect their livestock...& their livelihoods !!!

And if you have seen "a huge increase in buzzard & hawk numbers"...then it won't be long before you notice an equally huge decrease in the number of some song birds & other farmland birds. And if your place is really over populated by "buzzards & Hawks" then there will almost certainly be a decline in the number of some other less dominant species of birds of prey...such as the Kestrel & Barn Owl !

We have a Rabbit population that is under constant control by shooting, we concentrate efforts on our Arable block & leave several areas of rough grazing land for the rabbits & the rest of the Wildlife !
    On Thursday morning we picked up 6 dead chickens and our last remaining true Norfolk Black Turkey hen, the fox that slaughtered these birds decided that it would rather negotiate 4 strands of electric wire & climb up over the chicken pen fence... than catch any of the dozens of rabbits that are in the field around the chicken orchard !!!

Now, getting back to the question that the OP asked about controlling rabbits without killing them ? we have used a product called "Grazers" that you can spray on to crops & grass that stops the rabbits from eating the crop. But it only works well if the Rabbits have an alternative food source, such as the lovely crops growing on the other side of the hedge... which hopefully belong to the Anti-shooting brigade !!

http://www.grazers.co.uk/

Where does he have a pop at game shooting? Calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I wish to god people would not post such complete & utter bullshit on a public forum...just to have a pop at game shooting !!!!!!!!!

Plenty (probably hundreds) of poultry & sheep farmers in this part of the country depend on keepers to keep fox numbers down to protect their livestock...& their livelihoods !!!

And if you have seen "a huge increase in buzzard & hawk numbers"...then it won't be long before you notice an equally huge decrease in the number of some song birds & other farmland birds. And if your place is really over populated by "buzzards & Hawks" then there will almost certainly be a decline in the number of some other less dominant species of birds of prey...such as the Kestrel & Barn Owl !

We have a Rabbit population that is under constant control by shooting, we concentrate efforts on our Arable block & leave several areas of rough grazing land for the rabbits & the rest of the Wildlife !
    On Thursday morning we picked up 6 dead chickens and our last remaining true Norfolk Black Turkey hen, the fox that slaughtered these birds decided that it would rather negotiate 4 strands of electric wire & climb up over the chicken pen fence... than catch any of the dozens of rabbits that are in the field around the chicken orchard !!!

Now, getting back to the question that the OP asked about controlling rabbits without killing them ? we have used a product called "Grazers" that you can spray on to crops & grass that stops the rabbits from eating the crop. But it only works well if the Rabbits have an alternative food source, such as the lovely crops growing on the other side of the hedge... which hopefully belong to the Anti-shooting brigade !!

http://www.grazers.co.uk/

Nice to see you back posting a bit more Phil and shooting from the hip as usual

I did say "maybe" in response to Daven's post and don't get where you get the anti-shooting idea from.
    Just saying things as they have been on my place in recent years and yes there are less song birds than there were before the birds of prey number took off.
    Would much rather still be receiving the annual big cheque for the shooting but tough times out there for some.

Phil has a point. As a rule I don't believe foxes will hunt rabbits that are healthy, why bother? Why do you think they come running in with a squeak? They eat the laggards but I don't think they'll chase down a fast bunny. Buzzards will generally choose other types of prey from our experience: pigeons, mice and carrion.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    .(Snipped)

Now, getting back to the question that the OP asked about controlling rabbits without killing them ? /
    Crikey! Is that what the OP really meant? He wants advice on controlling rabbits without killing them??? I took him to be a solicitor as it is well known they don't use punctuation....

Dave Applesquasher

More buzzards, foxes, badgers, kestrels, barn owls, sparrowhawks, woodpeckers of all colours, tawny owls, blackbirds, thrushes, goldfinch along with many other sorts of finches, robins, wrens, goldcrest, ducks of various kinds than ever in my life. (as well as rabbits).
    The abundance of buzzards has had no effect whatsoever on anything as far as I can tell, barn owls are still here and if anything they arrived after the buzzards did.

Only ever hear of gamekeepers moaning about buzzards and claiming all sorts of damage to various native birds. Haven't noticed any reduction in pheasants on my place due to buzzards (more's the pity!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Flood holes with silage effluent or slurry.
    Works a treat
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    More buzzards, foxes, badgers, kestrels, barn owls, sparrowhawks, woodpeckers of all colours, tawny owls, blackbirds, thrushes, goldfinch along with many other sorts of finches, robins, wrens, goldcrest, ducks of various kinds than ever in my life. (as well as rabbits).
    The abundance of buzzards has had no effect whatsoever on anything as far as I can tell, barn owls are still here and if anything they arrived after the buzzards did.

Only ever hear of gamekeepers moaning about buzzards and claiming all sorts of damage to various native birds. Haven't noticed any reduction in pheasants on my place due to buzzards (more's the pity!)
    Another anti ?

Or a poster that does not have the sporting rights on their land...and does not like others having the right to release birds & shoot over the Land ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Crikey! Is that what the OP really meant? He wants advice on controlling rabbits without killing them??? I took him to be a solicitor as it is well known they don't use punctuation....

Dave Applesquasher

No Phil, I am not an anti.
    I own the land and the sporting rights. Nobody else has the right to shoot over my land.
    Pheasants are a pest, they eat my cabbage and make them unmarketable. If they bother me I usually shoot them with a rifle and give them to someone that will eat them (don't like to waste things)

Besides all that, there really is more bird and wildlife on my place now than ever before. Including buzzards.
    From what I have seen they have made no impact in general, I do concede to a lack of hares and peewits. This may be the hares decided to live on the new golf course next door or brock ate them. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that was down to buzzards though.
    Rabbits are unaffected by much at all.

Anyone who blames birds of prey for the reduction in numbers of small birds ought to try training one and catching those birds! It isn't so easy!

A hard winter can decimate small birds -- which often compensate by having several large broods a year.

I don't believe birds of prey control the numbers of small birds but rather the other way around and I could bore you all with statistics.

.....and that is from someone who has been involved with field sports all his life. But we've been through all this before.

There has been a big reduction in small bird numbers around here, but I think that has been due to a hard winter (2010/11) and the weather since. A few wet days and a lot of young birds of prey die simply because they can't hunt effectively.