Thread: rubber flooring in feed passage

rubber flooring in feed passage

Has anyone installed the rubber strips across the cow standing in the feed passage? Are they any good? I know Wilson agricultural do them and a new company fair field so I'm interested to find out more. I'm thinking if they save a few cows going lame or slipping a year it will pay for itself maybe?
    Last edited by Ken; 17-05-13 at 02:05 PM.

Re: rubber flooring in feed passage

I don't know about your cows, but we put rubber stall mats in all the cement floored horse boxes and dog kennels. Almost eliminated bedding (just a little sawdust to soak up urine/moisture), much relief for feet and joints, much easier to keep clean and fresh because the stuff doant soak in like with cement....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Has anyone installed the rubber strips across the cow standing in the feed passage? Are they any good? I know Wilson agricultural do them and a new company fair field so I'm interested to find out more. I'm thinking if they save a few copies going lame or slipping a year it will pay for itself maybe?
    Yes, we have put down Wilson Agri Zig Zag (see Robot Project - last page for a pic if you look closely).
    This is ex Australian iron ore conveyor belt and is chuffing heavy - & I mean heavy. One 30m roll was setting off the telehandler alarm just getting it off the wagon.
    It is banded with steel wire every 5mm bonded to rubber. At the standard width, it is too wide & cows would likely lie on it but cut in half (or third), it is ideal and the cows are walking the muck off easily.
    Cutting it, though, is a mega pain & we found the best way was to expose a wire in one of the pre-cut grooves then pull it with a skid steer rather like a cheese cutting wire. To shape around the stanchion, an ordinary angle grinder but the rubber snots & the wire sparks and it will chew a disc in no time.

Having said that, if you can deal with the issues, i would recommend it as it doesn't move (too heavy) and the heifers are staying hours at the feed face even the one that is a bit tender at the moment.

Here is a better pic:

That's the one, I can get it in a 60 mm width, I'm thinking I'm going to have to have it sit flush in the concrete though as we're using a skidsteer to scape out. I'm thinking of having a 60 mm width across the back feet standing? Thanks for the info and pics.

That looks like excellent stuff. Who is the supplier?

Rubber flooring or slats are much more animal friendly, however they are not hoof/claw friendly and extensive use will increase hoof management costs. Where the cow is standing for periods of time, they will make her more comfortable, but more importantly stay standing longer (less likely to return to cubicle). So the standing area of the feed-fence is a perfect location to assist with increasing DM intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    That looks like excellent stuff. Who is the supplier?
    Wilson Agri seem to have cornered this particular source of matting. Heavy duty stuff although we will be watching closely to see if any of the braided wires start to poke through in time

Is there a risk you could put too much rubber down and you won't get normal hoof wear? I mean should we just put these stuff along feed passages etc at the feed trough and avoid putting it anywhere else? Would it be ok in races/passageways or even collecting yards?

It does look very hard wearing.

Yes, there is a risk.

To much rubber flooring will result in uneven ' hooked ' hoofs. I think your idea of feed fence only is ideal.

Grooved concrete is the is the best solution for even hoof wear.

The other problem with too much rubber is encouraging them to lie on it rather than the cubicles.
    So far, they haven't tried to lie at the fence & we did have one with a strained hock where she slipped coming off the wagon but she is quite happy standing on the mat and eating her fill.

What's the cost of this zig zag matting.? End does it need fixing down or is the weight alone enough to stop it moving?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What's the cost of this zig zag matting.? End does it need fixing down or is the weight alone enough to stop it moving?
    Ring Ivor Davey direct as it has probably gone up since we bought it.

Although it is heavy, Wilson's recommend using concrete twist nails every metre or so to secure it as it can "walk". They supply the nails FoC if you ask nicely (or at least hidden in the price .......... ). We didn't nail ours originally - we have now and it's a much better job as it has stopped it rucking too.

Post Re: rubber flooring in feed passage

Hi , I read your thoughts , you discuss about the heavy weight you should use gym mats for your heavy equipment and for heavy weight. These are very good at performance and low at rate.