Thread: Wind Turbine vs Phone Mast

Wind Turbine vs Phone Mast

I have a potential wind turbine site with available three phase on boundary hedgerow. Main issue is the presence of three phone masts in neighbours field ~100m away. It does not appear as though the round dishes on the side of the phone mast point our way to interfere with the links. Are the phone providers likely to object? Given the distances involved I didn't know whether the mast operators would be interested in power supply to sweeten the deal. Does anyone have experience?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Wind Turbine vs Phone Mast

I believe that phone mast operators within 500m are consulted as part of planning. I would look on the local council planning pages at previous applications to see if they object or not, I have a Vodafone mast 250m from my gaias and they did not object

We have a Vodafone link between two proposed 250 kw turbines which have been approved.

Hope phone masts are not an issue but you say "on boundary hedgerow" which might be. Think you will probably have to be at least 50m from a hedge and tip height +10% from your neighbour's field.

Tom - I think he meant the 3 phase is in the hedge not the turbine.
    Anyway, I don't think phone masts are an issue. Hodgesons Brewery has one within 20m of a their Gaia - So close it's within the topple height!!!!!

Thanks all, sounds as though it is worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    Thanks all, sounds as though it is worth a shot.
    Certainly is. Under some circumstances a phone mast close to a turbine can be a problem, but most likely not, and I'd need a lot more detail before being to make any sort of sensible judgement. A point-to-point link with obvious dish antennas would be more likely to cause problems, but still unlikely.