Thread: Shearing Advice

Shearing Advice

After a bit of advice from the more experinced shearers out there if I may please! Was asked to shear about a dozen shetlands this week- not a problem in principle and have happily shorn before this but today was a nightmare! Brand new combs and cutters and no matter what I did, changed lead etc could not get them to shear...

Any tips or suggestions? I called time on it today and suggested we leave it a couple of weeks and try again but I'm surprised as did a couple of my own texels that needed doing and they went really well.

Re: Shearing Advice

It's a very funny year weatherwise, so I'm not surprised that one set of sheep is ready, and another maybe isn't. Our Texels are shedding a bit of wool now, and seem entirely ready for shearing on Monday, but...
    The other thing is that new cutters (and combs) are often not perfectly flat ground, and need a pass or two across a sharpening wheel to get them right. If you haven't got the real McCoy, I'd strongly recommend getting a 3"x8" flat diamond stone, with maybe 300 grit on one side and 600 the other: you don't actually NEED polished cutting surfaces, but a uniformly polished surface does tell you that it's flat (as long as the sharpening stone is, and diamond ones are).

If the oil hasnt risen in the fleese,you've had it?

You can do what you like with a Shetland, it never will have any rise, I used to have them. There is a reason why some sheep are not popular.

If there was only 12 why did u not stick at it?? Could you not have used thinner gear??
    Brand new combs out of the packet need to be ground i always found

I've got a good few shetland sheep and find them good going as long as they are ready for shearing and in good nick. Always have a few that have no rise and are tough going usually older ones. But wont be thinking on shearing them until mid july. But I'm in north ofscotland and dont start lamb until 18th may.

Quote Originally Posted by shearer View Post
    If there was only 12 why did u not stick at it?? Could you not have used thinner gear??
    Brand new combs out of the packet need to be ground i always found
    Thanks all, will give it a couple of weeks and get my gear ground up. @ shearer yes you're right I could of stuck with it but I wasn't happy with what I was producing so decided to callm time. It's a favour for a friend so not a problem to go back another day.

Shetland sheep aren't meant to ne clipped or shorn like other sheep.

http://www.okacres.com/

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    Shetland sheep aren't meant to ne clipped or shorn like other sheep.

http://www.okacres.com/
    If you leave them long enough,you can ' roo ' them.ie pluck by hand.Up here it's well into July.
    They're all quite right about new blades often not being sharp.It's a disgrace....