Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massey ferguson 35

Massey ferguson 35

thought id post up a few pics of a project i started on last year, a 3cyl 35

Re: Massey ferguson 35

hang on a minute, is that supposed to happen when you pull the dipstick out?

Dave Applesquasher

I do like 35's. I rate them as possibly the best tractor of all time.
    I have about a dozen tractors I can choose from, including new ones that you need a degree in Playstations before you can drive them. If the 35 will do the job, that is what I choose.

Good thing about 35's 135's etc, parts are ready available, they are easy to work on, and are always in demand. I'm sure you'll soon have that engine sorted Track Marshall, and the rest will shortly fall in place too, then you have something very gratifying to own.

you like a chalenge

One of the things I like doing best is turning hay with my 35 on a sunny day.

hi mate did you have any probs getting the cylinder head of that, i took the head off a ad 3.152 engine in a fork lift yesterday and my god what a job i had another fork lift lifting the head and it would not come off ive had heads stuck on before but never like that before, is your engine a a3.144 as your head gasket is different to mine, are your liners dry liners?

didn't have any problem getting the head off. everything around the top end was pretty gunky and oily because when the sump filled up with water it pushed the oil up on top of it.

my engine is the A3.152 in a 35 and it has the very thin chrome liners, the AD3.152 was in the 35X

the engine must have been full right to the top because water poured out when i undid the oil filler cap

if it was anything other than a 35 id have probably put a P6 in it or something but it would ruin a tractor that is so good for a start.

have not pulled it apart any more than that so far as its not in the workshop yet.

whats the diff between an a3.152 and ad3.152 mine has very thin dry liners?

I'm crap at doing links , but if you go on Your-a-tube , there is a guy who has put a V8 GM Duramax diesel in a 35 and pulls with it . Nice
    Type in Massey 35 Duramax
    Last edited by deere2140; 20-02-13 at 09:47 PM. Reason: got the maker wrong doh!
    The views posted are mine and not those of my employers

Quote Originally Posted by ford 7840 View Post
    whats the diff between an a3.152 and ad3.152 mine has very thin dry liners?
    with the AD3.152 the D stands for direct injection

the A3 has the injectors perfectly upright whereas on the AD3 they are in at an angle pointing at the top of the piston

Quote Originally Posted by deere2140 View Post
    I'm crap at doing links , but if you go on Your-a-tube , there is a guy who has put a V8 GM Duramax diesel in a 35 and pulls with it . Nice
    Type in Massey 35 Duramax
    now I was under the impression that a ferguson back end would not stick that much power

thanks track marshall, yes injectors are on a slight angle your right as normal, i knew i could count on you, im not useing same user name as before fancyed a change, i spec you know who i am your been here loads of times,

thanks track marshall, yes injectors are on a slight angle your right as normal, i knew i could count on you, im not useing same user name as before fancyed a change, i spec you know who i am your been here loads of times,
    yes i cottoned on a little while back.

i must come over and see you at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by track marshall View Post
    with the AD3.152 the D stands for direct injection

the A3 has the injectors perfectly upright whereas on the AD3 they are in at an angle pointing at the top of the piston
    Hesitate to put my oar in here, but isn't the A3 also direct injection? My understanding is the the later Perkins engine were all direct injection i.e. direct into the cylinder, compared to the P series which were indirect, i.e into a pro-combustion chamber. Maybe a better indirect injection example would be the Fergie 23C. I once blew my crediblity with a nieghbour when I installed the injection pump on his 35 one revolution out of time. The engine started & ran to about 1/3 full speed, but no higher. The fergie agent soon tumbled to the problem, explaining that the engine was running on the residual fuel still in the precombustion chamber after the exhaust stroke!

didn't have any problem getting the head off. everything around the top end was pretty gunky and oily because when the sump filled up with water it pushed the oil up on top of it.

my engine is the A3.152 in a 35 and it has the very thin chrome liners, the AD3.152 was in the 35X

the engine must have been full right to the top because water poured out when i undid the oil filler cap

if it was anything other than a 35 id have probably put a P6 in it or something but it would ruin a tractor that is so good for a start.

have not pulled it apart any more than that so far as its not in the workshop yet.
    Sorry to contradict, but the AD3.152 was in the 135, the 35X had the A3.152 with a slightly uprated pump.
    Last edited by Cosmiccrofter; 21-02-13 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiccrofter View Post
    Sorry to contradict, but the AD3.152 was in the 135, the 35X had the A3.152 with a slightly uprated pump.
    so are you saying the 35X was not direct injection?

That's right, the direct injection only came in with the 135.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiccrofter View Post
    That's right, the direct injection only came in with the 135.
    In which case I stand corrected. My apologies for giving out the wrong info.

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Hesitate to put my oar in here, but isn't the A3 also direct injection? My understanding is the the later Perkins engine were all direct injection i.e. direct into the cylinder, compared to the P series which were indirect, i.e into a pro-combustion chamber. Maybe a better indirect injection example would be the Fergie 23C. I once blew my crediblity with a nieghbour when I installed the injection pump on his 35 one revolution out of time. The engine started & ran to about 1/3 full speed, but no higher. The fergie agent soon tumbled to the problem, explaining that the engine was running on the residual fuel still in the precombustion chamber after the exhaust stroke!
    There was a whole range after the p series that were indirect injection, the F3.144 in the dexta, the 3.144, 3.152, 4.192, 4.203 (early ones), 6.288 and 6.305. Will take some pics if I get a chance.

all up and running like swis watch, i wish they would sort out to put pictures up like we used to, i cant be dealing with sitting here ages trying to put pictures up, it was so easy before now its not worth the hassel,

all up and running like swis watch, i wish they would sort out to put pictures up like we used to, i cant be dealing with sitting here ages trying to put pictures up, it was so easy before now its not worth the hassel,
    Open a photobucket account, upload pics to there then you can just paste the links onto here.

what aload of messing about, why cant it be quck and easy just like before, i cant be dealing with it it i just wont post pictures

There was a whole range after the p series that were indirect injection, the F3.144 in the dexta, the 3.144, 3.152, 4.192, 4.203 (early ones), 6.288 and 6.305. Will take some pics if I get a chance.
    TM, I know that MF used the indirect A4.203 in the USA, but did they use it in tractors/industrials in the UK? I thought they only used the DI AD4.203 in the tractors sold here, like the MKll 65?

I'm pretty sure they used the A4.203 and the AD4.203 in the MKll 65.

could well be wrong though

Sorry for being a smart@rse TM, but the Mkll 65 was fitted with the AD4.203 from the start. It was probably one of MF's best starting tractors of the 60's and 70's, unlike it's very poor starting Mkl brother.

Good luck with the 35 restoration TM. In my opinion, it's the best tractor MF ever made, especially in "X" form.

In that case Mr Crofter I bow to your superior knowledge

There seems to be something about 35s/135s, they are so well balanced. I was one told "you could do anything with a 135"..........

things might have been more interesting still if the LTX had got into production

Ahh, the LTX, now I do have one of those. It's at the back of the barn, just beside my stud unicorn.

Seriously, it would have been a revolutionary tractor, but we wouldn't have got the 35/65/135/165............ who knows what might have been?

In that case Mr Crofter I bow to your superior knowledge

There seems to be something about 35s/135s, they are so well balanced. I was one told "you could do anything with a 135"..........

things might have been more interesting still if the LTX had got into production
    I agree about the 135. One man & a Ferguson...

What is/was the LTX?

JV