Thread: calves stolen

calves stolen

Calves stolen!

Ian Sinclair of Clyth Mains, By Lybster, Caithness, had 18 calves stolen between saturday night and sunday morning.
    The Simmental cross calves were less than a week old, and were taken from a hard-standing area they'd been allowed onto to shelter from that night's foul weather.
    If anyone has any information, or has been offered calves for sale, get in touch! Ian is offering a reward for the calves return and the prosecution of the perps responsible!

These are not dairy calves

Its sickening that this kind of thing can happen. The man was in calving at 1.30 pm but by morning they were gone
    You just dont expect that up here

Re: calves stolen

One wonders how the thieves will obtain passports for the calves in order to sell them on.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    One wonders how the thieves will obtain passports for the calves in order to sell them on.
    I wonder if BCMS have been asked to flag up any registration of similar calves in the next few weeks, might be a long shot but might throw something up within a 30 mile radius that is worth investigating. Could be local, not the sort of theft that is opportunist is it?

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    it is supposed that they have been taken by people who wont be selling them on but will be useing them straight away
    Also they are close to a main artery road south, they will have gone a lot more than 30 miles through the night

Quote Originally Posted by crofteress View Post
    it is supposed that they have been taken by people who wont be selling them on but will be useing them straight away
    Using them for what purpose?

Ive no idea how it is known but I was told that they think [ they being the police] it was people of Indian origin that took them, maybe because this has happened before up here and they were caught but it was sheep
    And please dont quote me on it because it is obviously second hand , and nobody will know until they are found or caught

Dave Applesquasher

What are they going to do, worship them?

I very much hope they find the culprits and get the mans calves back to him.

Quote Originally Posted by crofteress View Post
    Ive no idea how it is known but I was told that they think [ they being the police] it was people of Indian origin that took them, maybe because this has happened before up here and they were caught but it was sheep
    And please dont quote me on it because it is obviously second hand , and nobody will know until they are found or caught
    18 is a hell of a lot for non-ag people to deal with though surely and at a week old there would be bugger all meat on them worth bothering with? I can understand the sheep being taken in to the back streets of the local town (it happens around the Midlands quite regularly) but I think I'd want something a bit older than a week if I was buying a dead/soon to be dead calf out the back of a van.

If they have gone on to another farm and you have enough empty/cull cows the registration of the "births" may not be too difficult after the original tags have disappeared
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Can't imagine any ne,er-do-well's coming all they way up to Caithness to knock off week old calves. Got to be local but it all sounds a bit odd.

we have ner do wells up here as well ..

Lybster = coast = ferry out? Ferryman does not check passports does he.

god there's some swearword around! hope they catch them

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Lybster = coast = ferry out? Ferryman does not check passports does he.
    only ferry here would be to orkney/shetland.

sadly the highlands is no longer safe from theiving scum like it once was (for the most part anyway)

This is disgusting, the perp. should hang.