Thread: Barn and Yard Advice

Barn and Yard Advice

Hi, We are shortly to be building a new feedbar fronted livestock barn for our new(ish) farm (was a diary until 1990, when the people before us bought it as a home and left the land to go sour), currently 15 acres, but looking to expand... The barn will be mainly used for bale storage and livestock, although one 15ft bay will be blocked in with a roller door for a machinery workshop. We have all the basics planned and the build is due to start in July. My question is; are there any things you regret about any similar barns you have? we still need to plan water troughs, lighting, how to gate down the middle etc. This is a low cost building but is going to be used so I don't want there to be something that makes life a pain.

Also, what would be a good low cost surface for a yard? currently we have very compacted soil, with a few patches of grass , I was thinking that maybe bigger hardcore then well compressed road plainings would be ok? it will have tractors and the odd lorry on it, but wont see much intensive use.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Barn and Yard Advice

What ever size you have planned, double it. I always wish I had made my sheds bigger after they were up. As for your yard we are using some rough stone topped off with some tar plainings, seems to keep dry and clean for longer.

Re: Barn and Yard Advice

Ditto the above.

Have you considered doing a plan with "desire lines"? Just a basic plan, which you will have, then track each regular job on the plan to see if you can cut down on basic things like the distances you have to travel while doing the job. Location of feed store to where feed is to be fed is an obvious one and what is the easiest/quickest/most efficient way to get it from one point to another.

Also, think from the bottom up. If you don't get the drains right before you lay the yard surface, etc. it will be expensive to change things later. I've seen more than one yard where drainage was designed to flow up hill! And where do the drains discharge to?

You've probably done all that but it doesn't hurt to mention it.