Thread: " Creep feeding forage "

" Creep feeding forage "

Got several game cover strips/ areas across farm, Randing in size from 1/2 hectare upto 2 hectares, As we rotationally graze the cattle around the fields adjoining thiese areas would it be worth trying to establish something rocket fuely and put in place a creep feed gate/ barrier to allow calves through to graze but exclude cows, I was thinking of drilling ( Next spring ) a large leafed white clover, Chicory and possibly plantain to icrease the fibre and avoid hopefully them bloating, turning inside out !

Does this sound like a good idea ? would make good use of these plots which are no longer needed as no longer organised game shooting here, other option is just to put down to good ley and allow access for whole group but would mean alot of mess in gateways for little gain in acreage.

Coincidentally one plot has a strip of artichokes established, would these need to be destroyed ( supposedly difficult to eradicate permenantly ??? ) or would the calves happily graze them off with no harmfull effects.

Any thoughts or opinions greatly recieved.
    Many Thanks
    Tommywommy

Re: " Creep feeding forage "

So it either an insanely good idea and everyones off busy planning there version for next year or i'm a complete birk and everyones to nice to tell me ?

BUMP

Try it and see if it works.

Another option would be to use them as calving paddocks or handling areas.

Sounds a very interesting idea.

Are you looking to redrill it every year or will it stay in place for several years? If the former, then how about including something like sunflower or maize in the mix which the cattle will graze? Also, an IRG in the mix would help, plus say a vetch or crimson clover for N fixation.

Obviously aim for a blend which will give you a high-ish protein crop, as this will suit young growing cattle best

Looking to put in for a few years, dont like knocking the soil around too much, I just thought it would utilise these arkward to manage areas and give calves something a little better than they would normally, I want to get as stale a seed bed as possible because weed control in such a cocktail will be virtually impossible, going for Elec fencing around the perimeter to protect hedges and young trees, Not sure what calves will make of two strands but as long as its kicking out nice and high and i'm not trying to handle or starve them in there.

Getting a good adjustable 'creep ' type gate is going to be difficult, I'm no fabricator but i can do scaffolding poles and clips ! Its going to be experimental but something i'm keen on having done a little previously with ewes and lambs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommywommy View Post
    Looking to put in for a few years, dont like knocking the soil around too much, I just thought it would utilise these arkward to manage areas and give calves something a little better than they would normally, I want to get as stale a seed bed as possible because weed control in such a cocktail will be virtually impossible, going for Elec fencing around the perimeter to protect hedges and young trees, Not sure what calves will make of two strands but as long as its kicking out nice and high and i'm not trying to handle or starve them in there.

Getting a good adjustable 'creep ' type gate is going to be difficult, I'm no fabricator but i can do scaffolding poles and clips ! Its going to be experimental but something i'm keen on having done a little previously with ewes and lambs.
    Just hit in amines receiver post for the gate at the required width for the creep gate.

When that one is too small then hit in another one a bit wider from the first one.

Calves will respect 2 strands electric as long as it has a good kick.