Thread: Gaia wind turbine wind speed reduced to 10mps.

Gaia wind turbine wind speed reduced to 10mps.

Hi everybody this is my first post. I have had a Gaia since aug 2010 and it has done pretty well until March last year when one of the foundation bolts was broken. Gaia took a month to repair it. We then had a phone call from Gaia on 23 12 2012 to shutdown the turbine due to one that had blown over in Perthshire (there was also another one blown over in southern england Devon i think around the same time)

They said they would be in touch and be up to inspect the turbine in the first week of the new year, they turned up on the 3rd of Feb caried out a bolt inspection and all bolts were ok. But they insisted that the turbine wind speed was to be reduced from 25mps to 10pms or they would revoke the warranty. We then got a letter on the 5th of april saying that the design mods for the repair had been completed and that they were starting field trials.

We are still waiting on the results i honestly think they do not know what they are doing and the customer support is terrible.

Regarding blade tips ours have never popped until last Friday, Gaia said they would not be able to come up until first week in June at the earliest with no date given. I then hired a 13 metre telescopic forklift truck with a work basket from the local builder and did it myself today, took about 10 minutes and cost 30. I would be very interested in anybody with the same grievances i am thinking of taking lagal action against Gaia because they will not pay compensation and the insurance won`t pay out either for loss of production. I have to say that Gaia used to be excellant but in the last 18months they have been terrible and i would never buy an other one due to the lack of support.

Regards and all the best
    Zander

Re: Gaia wind turbine wind speed reduced to 10mps.

There's stuff about this on the Gaia thread but Gaia do seem to have lost the customer focus somewhat. I can't really see what difference to the foundation bolts derating the turbine will make as the windage on the stopped turbine wouldn't be much different to that of one turning - but what do I know? If the bolts are sub spec then there's only one solution (replace not derate).
    I cancelled my insurance for loss of earnings as it seems a bit like PPI to me!

Re: Gaia wind turbine wind speed reduced to 10mps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zander Downie View Post
    Hi everybody this is my first post. I have had a Gaia since aug 2010 and it has done pretty well until March last year when one of the foundation bolts was broken. Gaia took a month to repair it. We then had a phone call from Gaia on 23 12 2012 to shutdown the turbine due to one that had blown over in Perthshire (there was also another one blown over in southern england Devon i think around the same time)

They said they would be in touch and be up to inspect the turbine in the first week of the new year, they turned up on the 3rd of Feb caried out a bolt inspection and all bolts were ok. But they insisted that the turbine wind speed was to be reduced from 25mps to 10pms or they would revoke the warranty. We then got a letter on the 5th of april saying that the design mods for the repair had been completed and that they were starting field trials.

We are still waiting on the results i honestly think they do not know what they are doing and the customer support is terrible.

Regarding blade tips ours have never popped until last Friday, Gaia said they would not be able to come up until first week in June at the earliest with no date given. I then hired a 13 metre telescopic forklift truck with a work basket from the local builder and did it myself today, took about 10 minutes and cost 30. I would be very interested in anybody with the same grievances i am thinking of taking lagal action against Gaia because they will not pay compensation and the insurance won`t pay out either for loss of production. I have to say that Gaia used to be excellant but in the last 18months they have been terrible and i would never buy an other one due to the lack of support.

Regards and all the best
    Zander
    Hi Zander

I agree GAIA are not very customer care focused once you have purchased one. I have sent a PM to you about setting up a local service group.

Regards

Gavin