Thread: Landline broadband alternative???

Landline broadband alternative???

Am having trouble with Talk Talk on one landline, I do have BT on another landline so am able to carry on but I hate both of them!!! Slow, expensive subject to weather!!
    Is 4G likely to come any good?
    Could I use 3G?
    What about satellite?

Any ideas, anyone?

Jack Caley

Re: Landline broadband alternative???

Plusnet for sure, based in Yorkshire and it part run by BT I think, good service allround. What speeds can you get on your line and what is your ip profile for your line.
    Some days you're the Top Dog - some days you're the Lamp Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Am having trouble with Talk Talk on one landline, I do have BT on another landline so am able to carry on but I hate both of them!!! Slow, expensive subject to weather!!
    Could I use 3G?
    What about satellite?

Any ideas, anyone?

Jack Caley
    just changed from bt to plusnet is cheaper and broadband is faster and did change over phone and you can understand them all based in the north

Quote Originally Posted by Richard682e View Post
    Plusnet for sure, based in Yorkshire and it part run by BT I think, good service allround. What speeds can you get on your line and what is your ip profile for your line.
    Thankyou but I am not looking for a landline server. I cannot see our landline s being improved ever, and we are 2 miles from the exchange.
    My enquiry was looking for peoples experience with 3G or even satellite broadband.

Hopefully somebody will have some experience of these.

Jack Caley

3G works about as fast as landline broadband here. Well not quite 'here' because I don't get a mobile signal at home. It also depends on what your normal landline broadband is like relative to your local 3G of course, as they both vary from place to place. So, as the Yanks would say, 'your mileage might vary'.
    The Duck 2015

There is a possibly another alternative, VirginMedia Cable Broadband, it doesn't use your phone line for the connection, but you would need to check if it is available in your area.

If it is available in your area, it's not the cheapest broadband if taken on it's own, but might be more cost effective if taken as part of a package.

We use satellite for broadband and are pleased with it. There is a slight lag and download limits can be restrictive, but a some providers have unlimited downloads at certain times. We have never had any serious weather problems. Not the cheapest but as we cant get dsl broadband, 5 miles from exchange, its a good alternative.
    Still mickstup

Quote Originally Posted by mickstup View Post
    We use satellite for broadband and are pleased with it. There is a slight lag and download limits can be restrictive, but a some providers have unlimited downloads at certain times. We have never had any serious weather problems. Not the cheapest but as we cant get dsl broadband, 5 miles from exchange, its a good alternative.
    Thankyou, you seem to be of help to me.
    My son uses satellite in Spain and he says there is a slight timelag, and says it can be difficult in the rain.
    Which satellite do you use?
    There is a Tooway I think, is it any good?

Do you also have a landline(BT etc)?

Tooway claim free telephone calls but we would have to retain our BT landline for incoming business calls anyway.

At times I could spit with servers, contracts, help lines in Manilla, expensive BT, I am up to here with it all!!

Jack Caley.

Sorry about all the questions but it would be a big help.

We are with http://www.satelliteinternet.co.uk/, there is a slight delay before a page starts loading but its not too bad about 1/2 sec or so, you get used to it. The only time we lost signal in the rain, then only for a couple of minutes, it was raining that hard we had far worse problems than loss of signal.
    The few times i've spoken to the firm, they have been helpful and based in this country.
    We are part of an emergency response group and our contact phone works on the broadband, so you can use voip, but we use a landline for the phone because of incoming calls, We have no 3g signal or even mobile signal, backend of nowhere, only thing that finds us is the bills.

Hope this helps
    Still mickstup

A friend in North Shrops is using Avon Line sat BB, is very pleased, also TV and telephone available .Can't recall the price but wasn't scary and the service is v good.
    will be looking at them as alt to BT, much of time sub 2 meg here. Commitments have been made by council to supply "super fast" BB to Shropshire by end 2017 (I think) with budget cuts I can't see it.

Anyone else have any exp with Avonline?

Quote Originally Posted by nige9999 View Post
    There is a possibly another alternative, VirginMedia Cable Broadband, it doesn't use your phone line for the connection, but you would need to check if it is available in your area.

If it is available in your area, it's not the cheapest broadband if taken on it's own, but might be more cost effective if taken as part of a package.
    Is that even available outside cities and large towns?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurdlebunter View Post
    A friend in North Shrops is using Avon Line sat BB, is very pleased, also TV and telephone available .Can't recall the price but wasn't scary and the service is v good.
    will be looking at them as alt to BT, much of time sub 2 meg here. Commitments have been made by council to supply "super fast" BB to Shropshire by end 2017 (I think) with budget cuts I can't see it.

Anyone else have any exp with Avonline?
    Really with the development of satellite/microwave/3/4G can you ever see BT and councils installing too much fribre optic?
    Money down the drain, I think, that is why I am exploring alternatives.
    BT treat you like sh-one-t anyway.
    Jack Caley

Really with the development of satellite/microwave/3/4G can you ever see BT and councils installing too much fribre optic?
    Money down the drain, I think, that is why I am exploring alternatives.
    BT treat you like sh-one-t anyway.
    Jack Caley
    We use 3G broadband on 3 network. alot better than BT. 5g bits of data for 15 and wifi from the mifi hub.

We are with Talk Talk here, 3miles from the exchange and can only get 0.5meg speeds. No Iplayer or buffer free Youtube here.

Nobody, Talk Talk or BT are interested in getting more speed out of the line.

I have a Three dongle that is plugged into a laptop or sometimes the office pc and it often runs at 4-5meg download, sometimes better.
    Downloaded a full version of Win 7 last week using it and it did 3.08GB in 1hr 45mins. Not as fast as some folk get but I was well pleased with that.

Seriously considering getting a 3g router and scrapping the fixed line broadband altogether.

Although 0.5 is slow, my in laws can't get broadband at all, 7miles from exchange and very little mobile signal, going to try get 3G with a antenna on the roof.
    38.4kb just doesn't cut it nowadays.

FB

Where do you get external aerials for picking up 3 G. We have had a wee bit of success with a vodaphone dongle but only if you are in sunporch!!

Local computer repair shop was supposed to be coming out to look at supplying us with a 3G set up with router but after chasing them a few times it never happened.

Seriously considering Sat Broadband as we only get 0.4Mb on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo View Post
    FB

Where do you get external aerials for picking up 3 G. We have had a wee bit of success with a vodaphone dongle but only if you are in sunporch!!

Local computer repair shop was supposed to be coming out to look at supplying us with a 3G set up with router but after chasing them a few times it never happened.

Seriously considering Sat Broadband as we only get 0.4Mb on a good day.
    Hi Kennyo,

We are the same, only get 0.48mb.

Got to try and get something sorted for the in-laws soon, even doing the VAT is a pain on dial up.

Don't know anything about them, but looking about for a 3g wifi router threw up these sites.

Try here

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...CategoryID=625

or here

http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/

or here

http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-intro.htm

or ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/3g-antenna

Its a bit of a minefield knowing what to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fermerboy View Post
    Hi Kennyo,

We are the same, only get 0.48mb.

Got to try and get something sorted for the in-laws soon, even doing the VAT is a pain on dial up.

Don't know anything about them, but looking about for a 3g wifi router threw up these sites.

Try here

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...CategoryID=625

or here

http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/

or here

http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-intro.htm

or ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/3g-antenna

Its a bit of a minefield knowing what to go for.
    Even at 0.48mb, it should be better than 3g. Have the speed checked as it enters your house, ie before it integrates into your phone network. Even with filters, it sounds to me you may have noise issues affecting the broadband performance, this will push the exchange speed down further as the exchange now matches line capacity. To combat this, I recommend to all my clients that the broadband router is connected to the phone line as it enters the building with an integral junction box filter. This cuts out most of the noise feedback from the internal telephone and electricity network and can make a significant improvement in performance. I have had lines go from 1.5mb to over 3mb doing this over 5 miles from an exchange.

We're using Zen landline broadband, and very pleased. Got our phones with them as well. On paper not as quick as some, but in reality quick as they don't share so much with other users. And really excellent support.
    Clive Tee

Quote Originally Posted by Sagecaster View Post
    Even at 0.48mb, it should be better than 3g. Have the speed checked as it enters your house, ie before it integrates into your phone network. Even with filters, it sounds to me you may have noise issues affecting the broadband performance, this will push the exchange speed down further as the exchange now matches line capacity. To combat this, I recommend to all my clients that the broadband router is connected to the phone line as it enters the building with an integral junction box filter. This cuts out most of the noise feedback from the internal telephone and electricity network and can make a significant improvement in performance. I have had lines go from 1.5mb to over 3mb doing this over 5 miles from an exchange.
    Thanks for the reply Sagecaster.

Have tried the router direct to the master socket, begged a combined filter socket off the BT doing a repair one day and tried that too. Have tried 2 Netgear and one Thompson routers and none of the above will go over 490kbps even after a week to allow it all to settle down. Even asked the guy fixing the line to see if he could "turn down the gain" on the line, though I don't know if he did anything.
    Iplayer won't work on that, buffering, and stalling. Youtube the same.

"Three" network 3g hspa signal through a plug in pen type dongle on a Usb extension on my office pc just now has just tested at 4.82mbps download, and 1.55mbps upload. All the media streaming works no problem.

Ordinary surfing is ok on the landline.

My dongle is on PAYG at the moment as it was bought to get us out of a fix when the line was down for a week or two.

Bit of a no brainer to go for a 3g contract and get a proper 3g wifi router I think.

Have tried the router direct to the master socket, begged a combined filter socket off the BT doing a repair one day and tried that too. Have tried 2 Netgear and one Thompson routers and none of the above will go over 490kbps even after a week to allow it all to settle down. Even asked the guy fixing the line to see if he could "turn down the gain" on the line, though I don't know if he did anything.
    Iplayer won't work on that, buffering, and stalling. Youtube the same.

You may have to contact your ISP and get them to reset your line speed, the guy on the ground you saw would have to get it done iirc. If you have had line problems the exchange will of dropped the speed until it becomes stable, if it ever does. Usually all the times I've sorted out internet problems it has involved them remotely resetting it, it then acts like the first time you connected up with your ISP and self trains to the ideal speed. They should also be able to check your line for faults and also noise on the line which seems to be a major cause of the speed being dropped down.

ff

Could I use 3G?
    What about satellite?

Any ideas, anyone?

Jack Caley
    We use Kijoma Broadband Solutions wireless broadband don't know if there is anything in your neck of the woods?

Have tried the router direct to the master socket, begged a combined filter socket off the BT doing a repair one day and tried that too.
    The master socket really needs to be at the point where the phone line comes into the building preferably from underground. Twisted pair is not shielded and any lengths exposed prior to the master socket act as a receiver, picking up interference. Many phone lines are run with electrical cabling inside a building and this can cause significant issues too for a weak signal too. The engineer should be able to test the speed at the junction where your line enters the main network line outside your house. If this speed is the same then you've had it I'm afraid.

As already has been said, you also need to get the broadband reset at the exchange before you will see any change in broadband performance.