Thread: roc meter

roc meter

i beleive my roc meter is wired wrong and my import reading is actually my export and vice versa. (arrows pointing the opposite direction). its only going 3 days. will this be an issue with the powers that be. i,ve also a multi meter and the electric company's meter to verify my export import readings. if i change the wires over i,ll loose all production(2600kwh). what should i do

Re: roc meter

My generation meter, which I assume is equivalent to your ROC meter, i.e. not the import/export one, shows the generation as 'import' and power the turbine uses when not generating as 'export'. This sounds like it is also the wrong way but I don't think anyone cares. The import is reading 100000 odd and the export 400 odd. I think it's clear which is which.

I'd leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by e3120 View Post
    My generation meter, which I assume is equivalent to your ROC meter, i.e. not the import/export one, shows the generation as 'import' and power the turbine uses when not generating as 'export'. This sounds like it is also the wrong way but I don't think anyone cares. The import is reading 100000 odd and the export 400 odd. I think it's clear which is which.

I'd leave it alone.
    Ofgem might care if they come to read it!! I'd get it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    i beleive my roc meter is wired wrong and my import reading is actually my export and vice versa. (arrows pointing the opposite direction). its only going 3 days. will this be an issue with the powers that be. i,ve also a multi meter and the electric company's meter to verify my export import readings. if i change the wires over i,ll loose all production(2600kwh). what should i do
    I'd get on the phone to your installer and get it checked out. Even you lose 3 days generation it would be better to have it right as these meters will be checked at some stage.

I thought same with my input/export meter-arrows etc.
    The total roc meter has only 1 reading-total kwhrs produced by system only.
    Are you mixing the total roc meter up with the input/export meter?
    These should show amount bought off grid, another figure maybe for different tariff etc, then export reading, when pressing button to flick between them?
    Do Not tamper with as sealed by meter services, DNO , etc. Dangerous and illegal.

As RGT said - I think you should have 2 separate meters. One you own and that is the ROC or Fits meter (which the turbine installer should have fitted) and should show total generation irrespective of any consumption, so should just be one figure.
    The second is the Electricity companies meter which they should have put in (not the turbine installer). This should show imported and exported figures, you'll get a very big bill if this is wrong way round so get them to come and check.

i have 3 meters in total. a multi meter which measures hz,amps,volts and kw in all 3 phazes. second is the ele tric company(n.ireland electric) measures import export and finally the roc meter, measuring inport export. i was using the royal "i" when i said i,d change the wires.roc meter installer said it should be ok as nie meter would correspond to show my true import export. he also said he,d give me a letter explaining what went wrong

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    i have 3 meters in total. a multi meter which measures hz,amps,volts and kw in all 3 phazes. second is the ele tric company(n.ireland electric) measures import export and finally the roc meter, measuring inport export. i was using the royal "i" when i said i,d change the wires.roc meter installer said it should be ok as nie meter would correspond to show my true import export. he also said he,d give me a letter explaining what went wrong

Don't follow this set up?
    How can you have rocs, fits import/export meter???

I think we're definitely talking about the total generation meter here. Also known as the FIT/ROC meter. It's quite understandable for this to be an 2-way (import/export) meter as there will be energy travelling in both directions through it. Mostly from the generator, but at times the other way to run the controls/yaw/heaters when there is no wind and to spin it up when wind arrives (at least in the endurance case).

When I did my ROO-FIT application there's a question about whether the generation meter measures the energy consumed. The meter fitted by my installer does (but at this scale it's OK to have one that doesn't). As I answered truthfully (Doh!) I have to fill in a figure for this energy when I make by Ofgem output submission each month. I did it this morning for May and it was 200 odd kWh. This gets knocked off your generation when they work out your REGOs but it's so small it makes no difference.

As I understand it, the (NI)ROCs process is similar to ROO-FIT, so the same would apply.

On thinking about it, maybe having the generation showing as 'import' isn't so illogical - if a 1-way meter was fitted, this would also record the generation as an import. It would be nice to know for sure. Has anyone else got an Elster A1140 generation meter?

roc meter is an elster a1700, it measures both import export. sorry but i,m not up to speed with turbines, rocs, etc etc