Thread: Ventilation

Ventilation

Looking for ideas for ventilation for the pig shed, wondering what others are using and find the best?

Looked at a house with a simple system with flaps on a hinge that just opened and closed according to the inside temperature.

Also saw in a brochure of a system similar to iv seen on cattle sheds were the vents lifted up and down over the whole side of the house.

any ideas

Re: Ventilation

Should have said, its a mono pitched shed

Quote Originally Posted by Tullyvernon View Post
    Should have said, its a mono pitched shed
    How wide and slatted? Craftmaster by Finrone use either ACNV windows or fans. I would suggest ACNV windows on the low side with fans on the high side.

Cheap to build never the cheapest in the long run. In Europe they spend half as much again on buildings

Its 40 feet wide and yes its slatted, I think I saw the craft master one in a leaflet I have here.

What design of house do you recommend? If herd that fans can work out very expensive to run on some sheds.

Fans are always more expensive to install and run. But feed is by far the biggest cost on a pig farm so we should maximise performance first then reduce building costs. If you already have a slatted building, how is that controlled and is it insulated?

The existing building is insulated, but is very old and out dated the ventilation is through manual vents.

Been looking at another new house yesterday and it was similar with natural ventilation, it was controlled with probes in 4 zones on each section of the house (250pigs) each zone then controlled separate vents, seemed to work very well, I noticed in the short time we were in the house the flaps around the door had closed after a short time with the extra air cold air coming in through the door, wile the others stayed the same.