Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I buy a Round Baler

Re: Do I buy a Round Baler

Have almost taken the plunge. Think a Class 340 Rotor Feed with a McHale Trailed wrapper.

if you get wrapper make sure its auto or it will drive u mad
    sorry late at this but can u get all the above for 22k thought the wrappers were over 10k now
    it will cost over .90p a bale in netwrap and diesel depending on how much grass got in front a lot better with good contractor if catchy weather get alot more done what out put can thay class baler do wrapper about 30 bales a hour with good driver but i am one sided a sthats what we do

Quote Originally Posted by AntiNFU View Post
    Have almost taken the plunge. Think a Class 340 Rotor Feed with a McHale Trailed wrapper.
    The claas is a good baler i have had four new ones a 250 two 255's and a 355 all with the MPS system on them it will make a better bale

we've always baled ourselfs and had a contractor come in for the wrapping but we bought a wrapper a couple if years ago best thing we've done, nothing against the contractor we used but if its a catchy day and the balers kicking out bales now we can get them wrapped, I know it's a two man job but we now do a bit of contract work ourselfs too, about 1200 bales or so at the minute, hopefully we'm pick up a bit more work

Quote Originally Posted by Henarar View Post
    The claas is a good baler i have had four new ones a 250 two 255's and a 355 all with the MPS system on them it will make a better bale
    Could you tell me what MPS is please ?

Could you tell me what MPS is please ?
    Maximum pressure system, three off the rollers are hinged and swing into the bale chamber whith heavy springs to put pressure on the bale quicker when the bale is forming, it makes the bale turn rather than folding crop
    you can tell the difference in a bale that was baled by a claas with MPS and on that came out of a baler without it just by un rolling it

Any cheap good round balers, with bff members then maybe ?

i do all my silage myself approx 1000 bales . mower conditioner , krone baler and then bag them with family help. obviously cant do a lot at once , but it seems to work , new leys and red clover come early then the older pastures, . get a good sample of feed , from rocket fuel to stemmy stuff for the dry stock. also do 100- 200 wholecrop oats so that speads it out nicely. when first cuts finished , into the second cut red clover and so on ad infinitum . i would not want to have my own round baler. one of the best innovations for the livestock farmer ever.

Quote Originally Posted by WILF View Post
    i do all my silage myself approx 1000 bales . mower conditioner , krone baler and then bag them with family help. obviously cant do a lot at once , but it seems to work , new leys and red clover come early then the older pastures, . get a good sample of feed , from rocket fuel to stemmy stuff for the dry stock. also do 100- 200 wholecrop oats so that speads it out nicely. when first cuts finished , into the second cut red clover and so on ad infinitum . i would not want to have my own round baler. one of the best innovations for the livestock farmer ever.
    is that in bags? ...or wrapped?....how do you get on vermin wise with the whole crop oats?....sorry to be nosey

Quote Originally Posted by WILF View Post
    Thought bagging died out yrs ago with wrappers came in?
    Big bags full of air, and necks, twisted and tied, with allsorts, from, plastic coated potatoe bag ties to rubber rings, etc.etc.?
    Can you still get the bags?
    Think came in packs of ten?
    Hands use to ache after a fair few?

Baler coming tomorrow. Bought a Claas 345 Rotor Feed Chopper Baler.
    2010 model never baled a bale. A business man bought it and parked it in a shed.

Quote Originally Posted by valtrarule View Post
    if you get wrapper make sure its auto or it will drive u mad
    sorry late at this but can u get all the above for 22k thought the wrappers were over 10k now
    it will cost over .90p a bale in netwrap and diesel depending on how much grass got in front a lot better with good contractor if catchy weather get alot more done what out put can thay class baler do wrapper about 30 bales a hour with good driver but i am one sided a sthats what we do
    I have bought a McHale trailed wrapper with cables ie 4 levers in the cab. You say get an Auto do you think I should spend an extra 2k for the all singing all dancing ?
    So far spent 23,500 but got a chopper baler which I was not aiming at.

I have bought a McHale trailed wrapper with cables ie 4 levers in the cab. You say get an Auto do you think I should spend an extra 2k for the all singing all dancing ?
    So far spent 23,500 but got a chopper baler which I was not aiming at.
    For the number of bales you mention, you'll be just fine with cable controls, less to go wrong not that reliability is ever a problem with a mchale trailed wrapper

Cables are fine ,especially for younger users who will willingly hold that wrap lever in the down position for 80 % of the working day !!
    But I had one for 2 seasons and did neigh on 20 odd thou bales and ended up with a bad neck shoulder and wrist (Repetive strain I was told)

Once you get used to an electric machine theres no looking back ,but cables are just as quick or quicker , but you need to concentrate a bit more
    Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
    Cables are fine ,especially for younger users who will willingly hold that wrap lever in the down position for 80 % of the working day !!
    But I had one for 2 seasons and did neigh on 20 odd thou bales and ended up with a bad neck shoulder and wrist (Repetive strain I was told)

Once you get used to an electric machine theres no looking back ,but cables are just as quick or quicker , but you need to concentrate a bit more
    Good luck!!
    Thanks for that. Guess I'll save a bit. Wife is in charge of wapping along with kids and they want the cable one so majority rules.

Just to update Baler going well. Wrapper took a bit of getting used to but my good lady is getting quite good at it now. Done about 300 very pleased so far.