Thread: Spring Tine Harrow

Spring Tine Harrow

That time of year again, and sure this was on the old forum but...

what's the best spring tine harrow to get? value for money? actually required at all?!

thanks

Re: Spring Tine Harrow

If your pasture is getting on a bit, and native "weed" grasses are starting to get a grip, then yes, they're fantastic.

It rips out the weakly rooted stuff, leaving more room and nutrients for the grasses you've sown.

When I first got a set back in 2002, I left a strip in the middle of the field not harrowed just to see. The rest of the field had a huge amount of dead looking stuff pulled out. You could see the strip in the middle the next year. It just didn't grow as much grass.

They're also good for leveling out fields that have been poached prior to spreading on some new seed.

An organic neighbour uses one to weed his barley. It looks frightening running up the rows, but it doesn't seem to rip out any crop, just the weeds!

My opinion is that the strongest built is the einboch.

We'd like an Einboch - so my vote goes there even though we haven't got a set - yet

Out with the dog just now, I suggest you buy a set with outboard floats. Until this lot was forecast I was hoping to run the chain harrows around a couple of the fields that last week were drying nicely.

There's no chance of that now. Christ knows how much rain we've had here today. It's rained solidly all day and heavily and steadily since 4.00; forecast for T.Wells syas rain until 02.00. What was dry is now flooded again. Neighbour's OSR looks like a camouflaged jacket with islands of green poking out of the mud. They'll have spent a few quid on propane too.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    We'd like an Einboch - so my vote goes there even though we haven't got a set - yet

Out with the dog just now, I suggest you buy a set with outboard floats. Until this lot was forecast I was hoping to run the chain harrows around a couple of the fields that last week were drying nicely.

There's no chance of that now. Christ knows how much rain we've had here today. It's rained solidly all day and heavily and steadily since 4.00; forecast for T.Wells syas rain until 02.00. What was dry is now flooded again. Neighbour's OSR looks like a camouflaged jacket with islands of green poking out of the mud. They'll have spent a few quid on propane too.
    I bought a set of chain harrows at Agri-expo last week which I'll be collecting next week hopefully. God knows when I'll get to use them

What did you buy?

I had a wander up and down at Agri-Expo. I couldn't get there until about 2.30 and by 4.00 it was quiet and virtually all over. Plenty stayed at home working I think while the weather held. Good machinery on show though for a local event. Must cost the dealers a few bob to get their gear there and back particularly if they do Kent and Ardingly as well.

Congrats to them and to Ramsak

I bought a Twose 6m set which seems to do a good job of ripping out the dead grass, and is solidly built. I did have some overseeding done by a local contractor with his Kockerling machine, which did an excellent job, heavier tines than the Browns/Einbock style machines.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    What did you buy?

I had a wander up and down at Agri-Expo. I couldn't get there until about 2.30 and by 4.00 it was quiet and virtually all over. Plenty stayed at home working I think while the weather held. Good machinery on show though for a local event. Must cost the dealers a few bob to get their gear there and back particularly if they do Kent and Ardingly as well.

Congrats to them and to Ramsak
    6m Weaving. It's mainly for mole hills and breaking up spread muck which is why I went for chain harrows rather than tined.

I liked the look of the galvanised Ritchie, but it is nearly 500 more than the Weaving.

hi
    take look at the carre prairial 3in1 grass harrow, slits,levals,and harrows !!!!!!
    There was a 3m machine on WFM stand oposite McHALE bales.

Quote Originally Posted by ag1 View Post
    hi
    take look at the carre prairial 3in1 grass harrow, slits,levals,and harrows !!!!!!
    There was a 3m machine on WFM stand oposite McHALE bales.
    had a look at one of them at j woods. looked very good machine and will be useful this year but costs abit. need a fair size tractor to keep anything more than a 3m in check.

Ah....I may be at crossed purposes her, but as an arable farmer, to me a good set of spring tine harrows would be the Konskile Vibro Master with double rotocrats. OP has not been specific, or included a location to help us guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Robigus View Post
    Ah....I may be at crossed purposes her, but as an arable farmer, to me a good set of spring tine harrows would be the Konskile Vibro Master with double rotocrats. OP has not been specific, or included a location to help us guess.
    Just what I was thinking.... A spring tine is a cultivator... We have a 6.6 m Wiberg with levelling boards taken out so just use as a spring tine....
    think the op is referring to what we would call a grass rake...

I have a shelbourne 6m set of harrows, 8mm tines they do a really good job of ripping out the dead grass, moss and other weeds, also have the option of putting my stocks fan jet slug pelleter on for over seeding

I've borrowed a 6m Twose set a couple of times, seem a good well made tool and certainly fetches the weed grasses out, although sometimes could do with a more aggressive leveling action for baked hard old molehills and poached areas where we've fed. I'd like to try one of the Joskin type machines with the sprung leveling paddles in front of the tines.

Other problem I find is we have a significant weed seed bank due to decades of letting the silage go to head before cutting. A pass with the harrows in some fields and nettles are germinating everywhere.

Anybody used a Joskin EB4RS - any good?

Ive a Opico and its as soft as butter so if i were you i wouldnt buy one of them.

I've been using a beaco products tine weeder since 2014 very strong no signs of quiting yet built in the UK which is nice they make chain harrows as well

So, what is your connection with Beaco, Ri10?
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    So, what is your connection with Beaco, Ri10?
    I thought that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I thought that as well.
    Nothing wrong with plugging your product IMO but just be honest about it and put some pics up of it doing a good job.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Nothing wrong with plugging your product IMO but just be honest about it and put some pics up of it doing a good job.
    what he said