Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    25

    MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Looking at changing tractors, currently got a T6080 and a MF 6480. What are peoples opinions on the above tractors, I think my brother will go from the t6080 to the t7.210 if we can get the price right. I am happy with the 6480 and had a quote on the MF 7618. Just interested in the 6170R with direct drive gearbox

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    195

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    DynaVT all the way, dd box to me is a complicated powerquad with none of the benefits of a cvt. it's also not been around long enough to be proven, and jd's disposable gearbox (ap) wouldn't give me the confidence to buy a goat.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South east Ireland
    Posts
    92

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    The JD is very big and heavy compaired to the other 2, that maybe an advantage or not but you should consider it.
    I also really like the 7618 DVT, but that is only a personall choice.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Gerbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holland, biblebelt
    Posts
    272

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    DD sounds great but ridiculously priced and I have yet to hear of an AP box from 30 series on failing.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    324

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    personally i would have an mf or cvx rather than a deer anyday !!! Never driven the NH version of the case so can not comment

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    16

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Dealer and manufacturer backup is always one of my main considerations. When it goes wrong, they all do, who will offer best service.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    34

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Quote Originally Posted by JimJackson View Post
    Dealer and manufacturer backup is always one of my main considerations. When it goes wrong, they all do, who will offer best service.
    +1 for this!! We find Deere very good at sorting out problems that arise and for that reason we run a full green fleet, Admittedly the dealer is also the other half of the story, they pull the demo tractor if we need a tractor to cover for a major breakdown

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Quote Originally Posted by coolcow View Post
    +1 for this!! We find Deere very good at sorting out problems that arise and for that reason we run a full green fleet, Admittedly the dealer is also the other half of the story, they pull the demo tractor if we need a tractor to cover for a major breakdown
    This is why we run Masseys, but isn't the 7618 quite a bit less powerfull than the other two options? They are 160hp at rated engine speed.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  9. #9

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    It really irritates me what MF have done with the 7600 series. If you go for Dyna VT you're docked about 25hp! Whereas on the 64/74's the 74's had the boosted power all the time, the 7600 DVT have the unboosted power. It makes changing our 7480 out for a 7618 a quite unattractive thing- i'd gain about 5hp, when i've been hoping to replace it with 200hp in the same sized frame. Harumph

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Quote Originally Posted by mf7480 View Post
    It really irritates me what MF have done with the 7600 series. If you go for Dyna VT you're docked about 25hp! Whereas on the 64/74's the 74's had the boosted power all the time, the 7600 DVT have the unboosted power. It makes changing our 7480 out for a 7618 a quite unattractive thing- i'd gain about 5hp, when i've been hoping to replace it with 200hp in the same sized frame. Harumph
    I agree with this.

    It also remains to be seen if they further widened the gap, if the 76 varios have this gearbox protection nonsense on them like the last of the 74's.

    If this is on the new models then the power going through the box is even less again

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Quote Originally Posted by mf7480 View Post
    It really irritates me what MF have done with the 7600 series. If you go for Dyna VT you're docked about 25hp! Whereas on the 64/74's the 74's had the boosted power all the time, the 7600 DVT have the unboosted power. It makes changing our 7480 out for a 7618 a quite unattractive thing- i'd gain about 5hp, when i've been hoping to replace it with 200hp in the same sized frame. Harumph
    i agree with this.

    It seems they are putting the vario models on the back foot from the off.

    Also it remains to be see if they are further widening the gap with this vario protection stuff that was added to the later 74's.

    If it's on the76's the power going to the wheels is even further held back .

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    25

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    All pretty similar on power between 165-170 rated, boost would be a bonus but cant be relied upon! Looking like we would go dyna6 and the middle spec |"efficiente" or whatever its called. Electric spools, ccls, front and cab susp, 650s, front links, listing at about 100,000 though! But its money to change that matters

  13. #13

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Quote Originally Posted by jh. View Post
    I agree with this.

    It also remains to be seen if they further widened the gap, if the 76 varios have this gearbox protection nonsense on them like the last of the 74's.

    If this is on the new models then the power going through the box is even less again
    What do you mean by gearbox protection nonsense? I've got one of the last 7480's and haven't noticed it? What does it do?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Quote Originally Posted by mf7480 View Post
    What do you mean by gearbox protection nonsense? I've got one of the last 7480's and haven't noticed it? What does it do?
    I wonder if he is referring to DTM?
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  15. #15
    Member CrevisbigX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    79

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Our 7480 not boosted 10 plate

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Sorry for the double post above. i did not realise the first one had worked and can't see how to delete one of them.

    From what Im told.The gear box protection stuff was added at the same time as dtm but is nothing to do with it.

    When the gearbox gets high load it trips and reduces power going to the wheels.

    Seemingly the older tier 3 varios did not have this. the only way i can think of explaining it is if you had 3 same size tractors. one dyna 6 one early t3 vario and one late .

    The dyna6 hits the hill , lugs down and as you run out of power you start dropping gears but it puts as much power as it can through box.

    The early vario did similar. it will communicate through the power supervisor lug down and put as much power through the box as it can.

    The later ones communicate for so long and then the protection thing can trip and basically bleeds power off from the box. surely it should run out of power like the other two .

    The dealer tells me its not all of them that trip and it seems to just be the larger frame 74's.

    Hopefully they have this set a bit better on the 76 vario though or the gap in power could be larger still between dyna6 power and vario than the brochure suggests.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    8

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Massey is a physically smaller tractor than the deere should go well running at 200hp on boost (dyna 6)

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Quote Originally Posted by jh. View Post
    Sorry for the double post above. i did not realise the first one had worked and can't see how to delete one of them.

    From what Im told.The gear box protection stuff was added at the same time as dtm but is nothing to do with it.

    When the gearbox gets high load it trips and reduces power going to the wheels.

    Seemingly the older tier 3 varios did not have this. the only way i can think of explaining it is if you had 3 same size tractors. one dyna 6 one early t3 vario and one late .

    The dyna6 hits the hill , lugs down and as you run out of power you start dropping gears but it puts as much power as it can through box.

    The early vario did similar. it will communicate through the power supervisor lug down and put as much power through the box as it can.

    The later ones communicate for so long and then the protection thing can trip and basically bleeds power off from the box. surely it should run out of power like the other two .

    The dealer tells me its not all of them that trip and it seems to just be the larger frame 74's.

    Hopefully they have this set a bit better on the 76 vario though or the gap in power could be larger still between dyna6 power and vario than the brochure suggests.
    My T3 has the Supervisor and it just shifts the transmission back to keep the engine at maximum efficiency, we have a 60 reg T3 that has DTM as does the 86, I have not heard any of the techs, drivers, demo driver or sales man talking about protecting the transmission. You can't stall it so in what way does it need protecting?
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  19. #19

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    Quote Originally Posted by jh. View Post
    Sorry for the double post above. i did not realise the first one had worked and can't see how to delete one of them.

    From what Im told.The gear box protection stuff was added at the same time as dtm but is nothing to do with it.

    When the gearbox gets high load it trips and reduces power going to the wheels.

    Seemingly the older tier 3 varios did not have this. the only way i can think of explaining it is if you had 3 same size tractors. one dyna 6 one early t3 vario and one late .

    The dyna6 hits the hill , lugs down and as you run out of power you start dropping gears but it puts as much power as it can through box.

    The early vario did similar. it will communicate through the power supervisor lug down and put as much power through the box as it can.

    The later ones communicate for so long and then the protection thing can trip and basically bleeds power off from the box. surely it should run out of power like the other two .

    The dealer tells me its not all of them that trip and it seems to just be the larger frame 74's.

    Hopefully they have this set a bit better on the 76 vario though or the gap in power could be larger still between dyna6 power and vario than the brochure suggests.
    I've never experienced any such thing on my 7480. In fact I can hardly beleive its a feature of any of them

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    It isn't.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    It isn't on the new ones? .

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    179

    Re: MF 7618, JD6170R or NH T7.210

    On my very late 7485, when drive up to 50kmph the tractor is pulling at say 1900rpm. When at max speed the engine will just rev up to max revs.
    Not had this with the early 7480 or 7485 only this one.
    I dont know if I have made that very clear?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •