Thread: (Old) Destoners

(Old) Destoners

I have a Reekie 3 web but cant always get enough soil, not exactly optimum conditions the last two days tho. Anyway I know I could run a tiller in front but work on my own mostly, so wondering if a change is in order. Would I get a better job from something like an old megastar or should I look for say a reekie 5 web. Any suggestions for say 1500?
    Dont really want to move to a 50mm web as only use 45mm on harvester or doesn't it make that much difference?
    Medium land not excessive amount of stones.

Re: (Old) Destoners

How do you prepare land for the destoner? Normal 2 bed ridger? How about a 2 bed tiller straight into the ploughing to ridge up with? No more passes than currently, more tilth, more destoner output. A megastar or early Grimme combistar will b just about in budget, with better depth control, (as the trench fills with clod, the share rises with a reekie) but more expensive to run.
    im guessing your reekie is a 330 or 350? (pre reliance) given you drive it yourself, try winding the depth stop out fully, and control the depth manually. That will allow you to sink it in a bit in the tough spots. More material for the tractor to drive over with a reekie means the share lifts out = less soil in the bed.
    hope some of that's useful, Spud.

Thanks spud, I deep chisel plough twice then pull out beds, don't use markers so run back down bed. I could do as you say would be slower but no more passes but tiller wouldn't run level in the trench one side and on top the other? The depth control is not goos as you say with the 330 and is often jacked up on one side. I am doing it manually as it is cranked right out, there is not many stones so running the clods over the top of next bed and some on side of trench to have another bite at them. Will the land come to pieces better over stars?
    I like the idea of a bed tiller for granular applicators too.
    I think the fresh ploughed land will go better.

This year will be a challenge what ever anyone does and you are going to have to adapt your cultivation to the conditions as you go. I would have thought that using a bed tiller will increase your output considerably. When you are using it, to keep it level, you drive down one bed, at the end miss a bed the at the other end you fill it in. So every pass you have either unworked beds either side or worked beds either side. You'll need to keep you eyes on the weather, but if you keep you bed tiller half a day or more ahead of the destoner, the land will hazel off nicely and destone better.

If you are patient you might be able to find a cheap Megastar that is basically worn out. As long as it is structurally sound, you could overhaul it at you leisure and effectively have a new machine for for a few thousand pounds.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

What sort of opener (ridger) ploughs are you using cause these make a huge difference. If it is the old small board type see if you can borrow, steal or buy a set of big convex bodied ploughs. These will make a much wide trench to allow the clod or stone to be burried easier.

We have a set of reekie ridging ploughs and then a set of scanstone/underhaugs on the bedtiller.

That set web machines aren't the best for clod.

Which reekie machine do you have?

You will get a slight increase in out put from a 330/ 350 reekie to a newer 4 or 5 web machine but most cause they don't break down as much not cause they go better in cloddy conditions. I would say you will get much better output moving from a 300 reekie to a 350 or a reliance machine.

Why not use markers? How bigs the tractor? Doable to ridge with a single bed tiller into the ploughing, then go back up every other to till them, but a 2bed tiller would halve the time, much easier to pull on the flat too, 150hp will be fine. Stars would chew more soil through, but as I say, dearer to run. How many ac are you planting?
    do you plough pre winter or just in front? We plough just in front, then straight in once it's dried a bit with 2 bed tiller or shakerator with ridgers, depending on the conditions. Used to plough, drag twice, ridge, till. Now less passes, better job, cheaper.
    a destoner is a separator, not a cultivator.
    45mm webs fine, what sort of scrubber web have you got? We swapped a standard one for a mustang type to good effect.
    why is the stoner leant to one side?

Kennyo makes a good point re ridgers, we swapped from old jumbos to reekie convex a few years back, the difference is incredible, square bottomed hole and steeper ridge sides, more soil in the bed, without going deeper.

Yes I used to do a bed and miss a bed when I used a spike rototvator before going to stoner but surely you would have to go up and down if I was doing as spud suggested straight on the plough or do people use markers on the ridger on the back of the tiller. As we are only a small acreage we stopped using markers because we could not keep the beds right.

I was thinking of the original megastars http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pearson-De...item2328d0e7d8 from way back in opal fruits days, before they changed to star burst.

Oops got over taken in my writing, I dont have many ac to do and only 120hp to play with, usually fresh plough. Old type reekie ridgers no idea what you call them, I have 36 42 36 webs and just an ordinary scrubber web as in the same as the ones on. Usually does ok, but has to be dry.
    I take it I would be able to increase my forward speed considerably following bed tiller. I could run my spike roto straight behind (chisel plough) then ridge I suppose. How many hp does a tiller take, I'm running out of tractors lol. Dont want to keep swapping or if we get a shower could come unstuck.

Thanks for all the replies

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    I was thinking of the original megastars http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pearson-De...item2328d0e7d8 from way back in opal fruits days, before they changed to star burst.
    That Megastar is newer than mine. It looks decent enough, but there are bound to be worn out stars, chains, sprockets and shafts on it, though you could wear a brand new one it in no time.

Depending on your soil type you can alter the spacing of the stars with spacers. I have 3 spacers in the first 5 rows of stars and 2 in the remainder. On brick earth I won't drop much below 4kph. It give quite a course tilth but this it what our land needs to keep it open. Also going so fast obviously covers a lot of ground quickly and the machine gets nothing like the wear on it.

Thanks Predial, I average a massive 1.2k, I see you had a change of name too

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    Oops got over taken in my writing, I dont have many ac to do and only 120hp to play with, usually fresh plough. Old type reekie ridgers no idea what you call them, I have 36 42 36 webs and just an ordinary scrubber web as in the same as the ones on. Usually does ok, but has to be dry.
    I take it I would be able to increase my forward speed considerably following bed tiller. I could run my spike roto straight behind (chisel plough) then ridge I suppose. How many hp does a tiller take, I'm running out of tractors lol. Dont want to keep swapping or if we get a shower could come unstuck.

Thanks for all the replies
    You know your own land better than us. I have noticed here that how the land is worked or not in the autumn will effect how it plants. Some years it is best to leave everything until spring and only move it when the conditions are right. Ideally you want to aim to get it ridged up in the autumn and let the winter weather work some of it for you.

120hp should be plenty to ridge up and bedtill with a single bed bed tiller. You can use the Reekie ridging bodies to ridge up then take them off and up them on the bed tiller. I'll stand corrected, but it does sound like you are trying to beat the land in to submission in the spring instead of letting the weather help you out.

http://www.farmingmachines.co.uk/machinery/M09712

These things would make a huge difference.

If its ONLY clod you want to deal with I'm sure a star seperator would be better than a web machine.

Thanks for all the replies[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies will this bad boy do the job do you think?
    Looks like better openers than mine, I do need to deal with the stone, just need some markers I suppose.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRIMME-BED...-/330881924667

Nobody winter ridges here. Usually the problem is the land dries out too much. The piece were I started the other day was winter ploughed and I think worse for it, I prefer to leave as stubble so can get on sooner and spread muck on over winter. Wish I never set any tho as full of water after 40+mm so far today and still raining Never had water lay in rows with rotovator like I do now. Mate thinks I should run through with subsoiler after setting.

Have you bought it? Thats a Dowdeswell, with dowdeswell ridgers, better than a jumbo, or an early reekie, not as good as a convex reekie/scanstone. Tiller will be mechanically bombproof, tines more indestructible than vegiblades in stone, those fishtails need adjusting!!! Cheap enough, good buy!! Just needs markers and off you go!

Bloody hell!!! We've had half an inch and thats plenty! (for lifting...not planting!!) It'd keep subsoiler well away from planted fields it theres stone in the row bottoms.....harvester driver will swear.....

Yeah I won it buy 3! I take it you mean the applicators by fish tails, are they supposed to be across the entire width, what products can I use in them? Only used monceren for first time last year we are that modern here!
    How much is a set of tines?
    Think I will ridge out the rest of the field my usual way as soon as I can get on then till a few rounds ahead of the Reekie as so on and try and get sorted with some markers and possibly a better ridger next year.
    Thought I was being clever setting 10 days earlier than ever before, so I could get some nice earlies to pick up some new chippies. Not so sure now.

Sorry to hear you are still lifting, there are several round here to one grower with 150ac still in, havent heard how they are getting on tho.

Been opening with the grimme ridgers from bed tiller above, vast improvement with reekie 330. So no need to till as yet still wet underneath tho.

We run through our beds twice with the bed former as we have a Farm Force cultivator toolbar on the front of it which helps to break the ridges up. Its certainly noticeable if I go up a bed with the destoner that has only been gone through once, there's more bigger clods and forward speed drops by 1-1.5kph. Might be worth seeing if you can fit some old Vibroflex tines or similar in your bedformer as its certainly cheaper and quicker than using a bed tiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    We run through our beds twice with the bed former as we have a Farm Force cultivator toolbar on the front of it which helps to break the ridges up. Its certainly noticeable if I go up a bed with the destoner that has only been gone through once, there's more bigger clods and forward speed drops by 1-1.5kph. Might be worth seeing if you can fit some old Vibroflex tines or similar in your bedformer as its certainly cheaper and quicker than using a bed tiller.
    this is our ridger, its an old pearson jumbo with three vibroflex tines in between the ridgers http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...ril2011393.jpg

I normally ridge the field up like that first then go back through, cultivating the alternate beds that didn't get the tines through first time. the second pass also helps to even out the width of the beds as well as making sure the beds are as big as possible so i've got somewhere to hide the stones.

also when last changing destoners we were advised to keep well away from machines with stars if you have any amount of stones to deal with. have now got an all web combistar

Do you go straight on the plough or is it all deep cultivated before hand. More often than not mine is fresh ploughed and superflow x2 through so although extra tines would help it is in good nick to start with.

ah right, i normally just go straight into fresh ploughing after taking the wheel marks out from spreading the fert.

we try and keep the bed tiller as a last resort, but would not want to be without it.

We don't plough for spuds here, one pass with a terra-disc followed by one pass of the subsoiler at 16" deep on light land or two on the heavier land then in with the ridger. We and a few other growers have found that ploughing can create more clods to deal with.

I have wondered that too, seems a bit pointless me hooking plough on today to plough half field considering all the other treatment it will get, just trying to plough what I can set in a couple of days to stop it going to far in this wind.

Have you two finished yet I feel like I'm well behind. But when you need a coat on again today makes me think there is no rush.

well you wont be the last because we haven't started our little bit yet (we dont grow any earlies as such)

we were advised that our smaller seed was better off waiting in the shed until the soil warms up, 'tis still cold. other people near us have only just started aswell.

My bard in nearly 6 weeks I think now not moved either, but beet are up

By the end of today we should have done around 95 acres out of our 140ish but have to wait for Omex to come and put the fertiliser on the last 40 or so acres before we can do them

Still thinking about this looking at a grimme cs1500 1999 with two rows of stars an three webs tomorrow, will this offer a benefit over reekie 330 with same webs? Any thing to look out for. Asking about 1500