Thread: Pre-em spray on Spring Barley

Pre-em spray on Spring Barley

First time we've used this (off label) on SB here, mainly from reading threads here.
    Must say it has been quite successful despite a dry week after sowing/spraying.
    We used Kula at 2.9L/Ha

Crop now looks generally clean but I'm just today spraying Charge on the smattering of Fat Hen and Fumitory.
    There are some cleavers here and there but not as many as expected.

It's revealing how much additional weed there is where are little strip was missed in an awkward corner.
    Off the headland, the meadow grass and such would not have been this bad but it shows how well it is being controlled.

Re: Pre-em spray on Spring Barley

I use Stomp Aqua pendimethalin at 1L /Ha and it keeps out the meadow grass the recommended rate is 3L/HA . My reason for the low rate is you are going to have to come back for the charlock and the volunteer rape and the low rate gets rid of the meadow grass.
    The combine driver gets to call the shots on meadow grass .

I ran with 0.3l/ha of liberator pre em, it has left my field spotless of grass weeds, I left 1 tramline to compare, brome and rsmg are quite bad. I then went with 1l/cmpp and 1l/ha oxy cm and now totally spotless and not expensive either. 4wd, when was your photo taken? my feb drilled barley is now in ear.

Taken today, it was sown about 24th April.
    It is running a couple of weeks behind normal but not that concerned the rate it is growing now.
    Fairly normal for here.

Bit of a last minute rush job down here to be honest, with crops planted late, not early. Everyone was waiting for the ground to dry out once the rain ceased. As such whilst I would loved to have had a go with some pre-em it invariably got left alone, hence Avro plus a hormone generally. Worked well. Odd ryegrass, wild oat or meadow grass plant about, but with hussar/Axial the price it is, difficult to justify them really. Spring barley generally coming into ear now, out with 'T2' shortly, some even later drilled stuff still got a way to go.