Thread: A grey day made bright

A grey day made bright

These are unretouched jpegs from the camera.
    Edit. Having seen the attached files, would have uploaded large full resolution images rather than medium/medium next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Duck 2015

Re: A grey day made bright

Swans. Not down my lane but at the estuary bridge at Newport pembs a few weeks ago. These were taken by a Sony SLR at full telephoto [450mm equiv for 35mm camera] and severely cropped as well.
    The Duck 2015

Today, a bright day is made dull. The slaughter of the innocents!

To be fair the contractor did pull his machine away and leave most of the foxgloves. That's the first time I've seen any driver bother to do that.

Click on the thumbnails and then click on the enlarged pictures to download full size. One of the 'slaughter' pictures is markedly inferior but I'm not entirely sure what went wrong. All three 'slaughter' are with different cameras, the first two of the sequence are with the same camera.

Could post the EXIF settings if someone is the least bit interested.
    Edit
    Have had alook at the camera and it was set for high dynamic range, which is great for a very sunny day with high contrast and shadows, but this wasn't one of those days.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 23-06-13 at 01:29 PM.

What a shame. Didn't appear to be any road safety issues there. Pity they can't use some common sense and disgretion. Our roadsides have been cut this evening (Sunday)
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

govt pay farmers to grow wild flowers and at the same time pay someone else to mow down the ones that grow themselves, what a crazy world

The X20 pictures seems a bit scratchy when viewed full-size, I do like the robust retro style though.
    The latest mid-high range compacts are getting so good.
    Late last year I went for the Canon S100 and have to say I think it generally does much better than my (8 year old) Canon 300D budget SLR.
    And yet it is smaller than a pack of cards.

I usually resize but will add on a full res (6.5MB!) jpg.
    Note if you click the thumb it only opens in a smallish size view but in fact is BIG - right click on it and view image in new tab to scroll around the full size.

What I do notice compared to the SLR, a lot of processing is going on to make things look 'better' than they are.
    If you start pixel-peeping you can see the camera has tried to smooth away noise and it looks a bit smeared and odd.
    At the end of the day you can't capture every detail of a distant hillside on a small sensor with a compromise lens, but they do a great job of closer scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    What I do notice compared to the SLR, a lot of processing is going on to make things look 'better' than they are.
    If you start pixel-peeping you can see the camera has tried to smooth away noise and it looks a bit smeared and odd.
    At the end of the day you can't capture every detail of a distant hillside on a small sensor with a compromise lens, but they do a great job of closer scenes.
    Did think of buying a TZ40, but that has so many pixels in a 1/2.5 tiny sensor that it really does rely on heavy processing.
    The X20 has a very good picture quality imo, having a much larger 2/3 sensor and a sensible 12 megapixel sensor with some clever X-Trans technology. It is also matched to a very good bright lens. What it doesn't have, and I'm still in the early stages of learning to get the best out of it, is a built-in ND filter, which I found today, in combination with the very bright lens and very sunny contrasty light, caused the shutter speed to be very fast indeed to get the exposure right. I tend to shoot in aperature priority mode and it was only after reviewing a few shots that I realised that at f4 the shutter was set to 1/2000th. Setting the camera to auto or stopping down to f8 made for a much sharper and natural picture, especially so when pixel-peeping.

Have a look at the second picture of the foxgloves in full resolution [as full as the system allows I think, but not as quite as I see it on the monitor on iPhoto]. I think that is fairly good for only a few tens of shots on a new camera, the X20.
    I seldom bother to shoot RAW as it takes a certain discipline to process the pictures which I haven't got. I much prefer to try and get it right in the camera and fine-tune, if necessary, in iPhoto.

As far as the X20 is concerned, up until today I have tended to shoot outdoors with a vivid picture setting, which is a bit too vivid when there is a lot of green. Two of the pictures above also had picture effects applied in-camera to pull the colour of the flowers out from among all the green. Unfortunately they were uploaded in very low resolution.

Much simpler to shoot in auto mode, but that isn't any kind of challenge or learning experience.
    The Duck 2015